Standing at Away Games - When you have kids...

Burton_Ram

Cheers for all of your thoughts guys. I think it will be a case of trying to swap on the day. He likes a good bounce at the iPro where we sit in the east stand, so I'm sure he'll join in at Hudd.

True what Robster says about better atmosphere at away games so kids tend to get more engaged, hopefully he will be happy with standing up on the seat. At my lads last away game at Wolves, he was more chuffed about playing footy with a beer bottle and 6 grown ups in the concourses at half time than with watching the game, then again, that was probably my highlight of that game too.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only away game my boy goes to is Florest and he stands on the seat throughout.  I just need to be ready to grab him when we score and **** kicks off.

When I was a kid my dad made me a stool which was basically a square of wood that allowed the metal legs to screw into it.  It was early to mid-eighties and how we ever got it in the ground I don't know.  It was basically weapons for 4 thugs.

My dad made a similar sort of wooden thing, 3 pieces of wood, one long bit, two legs on hinges and a metal rod to make it strong, and we used to take it to Boothferry Park to cheer on the Tigers or Craven Park to cheer on the Robins. We also would put it up straight and lean it against the garage door and use it as cricket stumps when playing on the driveway.

Back in the good old days when kids were happy playing after school in the street at football and cricket and spent most of the weekend in the park playing football with all their mates.

Burton_Ram I would suggest you try aiming for either of the sides at Huddersfield where we are likely to thin out and where you find all the empty seats with a clear view for you and your kids to sit down and enjoy the game. Preston was like that, Fulham last season, was like that, and I'm sure it's the same at most away grounds where you get all the empty blocks of seats, just sit in them and I'm sure the stewards will be fine as you have the kids etc. 

Maybe a suggestion for the club, when buying away tickets allow you to choose near the front or at the back. They can't advertise them as standing and non standing for obvious reasons but fans will still get the idea.

Maybe a suggestion for the club, when buying away tickets allow you to choose near the front or at the back. They can't advertise them as standing and non standing for obvious reasons but fans will still get the idea.

I asked for a seat neat the back for Huddersfield and got one, but they didn't give me the option for M K Franchise.

Trouble is you don't get to pick where you sit/stand. I take disabled who sit in general allocation i always ask for non singing and always get tickets day they go on sale to members yet we still end up in with singers 3/4 of way up a stand where everyone is standing. Trouble is i've also got bad back and can not stand for 45 mins at a time anymore. its a real pain.

We ask every time but whether on telephone or at ground it really does vary from person to person how helpful they are. They often come out with a line about having to sell them in blocks but I know for a fact that this isn't always accurate as we have bought tickets on same day as friends and end up one pair right at front other pair at back.

For Blackburn I bought my ticket 4 days after my other half and in meantime sales had opened up to season ticket holders so I was expecting to be nowhere near him. When my ticket arrived I was one row behind three seats along row (close enough to throw peanuts at him!)

I have given up trying to second guess what the club does with tickets and just stand where I'm put! 

I like stand up and so does my dad we always ask for back row singing section best bet dont say anything if you want abuse and spoil everyone fun and day out.

don't want to spoil anyone's fun b4. I appriciate standing at away games, just trying to get around it for my lad.

Simple request, but that should sort it out. Job done. I buy my away tickets from the ground and ask for where I want to sit/ stand , they just need to build it into the internet sales  - Daveo can't you sort that out for them? Your website is much more informative than the official dcfc website!

I hate the "Stand up" culture at football, with that I mean when irks turn around and about "come on stand and sing" and wave their arms around... I almost ruined our day out at Wembley because of a group of dinks like that say right in front of me, fortunately Bobby Zamora decided to ruin it for us...

if there are seats there and I want to sit on them then I should be allowed to and still be able to see the game, simple as that....hence why the safe standing sections are required...so all the old boys like me with dodgy knees can sit down and watch the game instead of spending it arguing with a group of Danny Dyer wannabes. 

Agree with that, my lad saw next to nothing at Wemberly (but it was still a cracking day and we will be stronger in the long run), We need to follow the German standard - safe standing plus get the pricing right and fill the stadiums. Too many championship clubs have empty seats (here there and every sausageng where). Why not reduce your prices and fill your grounds (and introduce new young fans), this is something Derby have done really well over the last couple of years. I could go on about other clubs and empty seats. Fortunately Mel and the board seem to have this covered.  

Doubt that would work, most clubs will request tickets to be sold in a certain order. 

Archived