(Too much) information coming out of the club

Carl Sagan

Gary Rowett pretty much summed it all up post match on Sky before our fixture. Said all the noises coming out of us was that we were going to deploy 2 strikers due to the lack of fire power we had produced in the previous games.

(trying to find a clip of it but there doesn't seem to be any)

That's just called doing your research, the whole world knew how they were lining up too so nothing new. Don't listen to Rowett patting himself on the back. Besides, remind me, did they win that game?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure it overly matters what PC says about team availability and selection before the game. He'll have forgotten by the time he fills in the team sheet, and then he will double up on a player or two. Then he'll hand it in 4 mins 52 seconds too late. Booooooooo. PC OUT PC OUT!

Not sure it overly matters what PC says about team availability and selection before the game. He'll have forgotten by the time he fills in the team sheet, and then he will double up on a player or two. Then he'll hand it in 4 mins 52 seconds too late. Booooooooo. PC OUT PC OUT!

Is he still here or have you got your fishing net out for nothing? Not seen him post for a while.

This thread reminds me of the play-off semi final against Preston in 2005... we said Idiakez and Raziak weren't fit to play the second leg and they both started. Must've thrown Preston right off the scent.

Ergo, Thorne will start on Saturday..... :ph34r:

I was out with Paul Tisdale last night who manages Exeter City (Matt Oakley, aged 39 is his captain and apparently still playing well!). We were talking about a lot of things, but something he said really struck me. He wants to know as early as possible in the run up to the next game how the opposition is going to line up and who's playing. Any intelligence he gets before 2pm (teamsheet posted) on a Saturday is like gold dust. He is required to speak to the press every Thursday in the run up to the weekend game, but never gives anything away (or I wonder if he sows some misinformation). He said that a common mistake of rookie managers is to reveal far too much to the press in advance.

Today (Thursday) I see Clement has announced in their press briefing that George Thorne isn't going to be fit for Preston (or the game after) and that Bryson won't be fit for the game either. What possible good reason is there for saying that to the press? Isn't it better for us if Preston waste a lot of their time in the run up to the game planning how to try to neutralize Thorne, which they might given he's such a key player for us? I cannot fathom why the coach would out this kind of info so freely - keep your opponents guessing!

Is it just me or do we give too much away when it comes to the fitness of the players and our likely selection in the run up to a game?

To stop fan hysteria;

Fans tweet Steve Nicholson, Owen Bradley and Ed Dawes "How long is Thorne out? Club haven't announced anything. Is he out 1 month? 6 months? The season?" SN, OB, ED ask Paul Clement the questions the fans have been asking them.

Also imagine the grief the club would be getting if they announced on Saturday 2pm via the team sheet that Thorne was out for a week and has been since the Leeds game?

Unless, of course, either one if these is going to be available. 

Seem to remember under Davies a few injured players miraculously recovering before kick-off! 

This approach definitely gives opportunity to Bluff, Double Bluff & Triple Bluff the opposition later in the season. 

All good managers have applied this tactic at some point. 

Archived