(Too much) information coming out of the club

Carl Sagan

I was out with Paul Tisdale last night who manages Exeter City (Matt Oakley, aged 39 is his captain and apparently still playing well!). We were talking about a lot of things, but something he said really struck me. He wants to know as early as possible in the run up to the next game how the opposition is going to line up and who's playing. Any intelligence he gets before 2pm (teamsheet posted) on a Saturday is like gold dust. He is required to speak to the press every Thursday in the run up to the weekend game, but never gives anything away (or I wonder if he sows some misinformation). He said that a common mistake of rookie managers is to reveal far too much to the press in advance.

Today (Thursday) I see Clement has announced in their press briefing that George Thorne isn't going to be fit for Preston (or the game after) and that Bryson won't be fit for the game either. What possible good reason is there for saying that to the press? Isn't it better for us if Preston waste a lot of their time in the run up to the game planning how to try to neutralize Thorne, which they might given he's such a key player for us? I cannot fathom why the coach would out this kind of info so freely - keep your opponents guessing!

Is it just me or do we give too much away when it comes to the fitness of the players and our likely selection in the run up to a game?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out with Paul Tisdale last night who manages Exeter City (Matt Oakley, aged 39 is his captain and apparently still playing well!). We were talking about a lot of things, but something he said really struck me. He wants to know as early as possible in the run up to the next game how the opposition is going to line up and who's playing. Any intelligence he gets before 2pm (teamsheet posted) on a Saturday is like gold dust. He is required to speak to the press every Thursday in the run up to the weekend game, but never gives anything away (or I wonder if he sows some misinformation). He said that a common mistake of rookie managers is to reveal far too much to the press in advance.

Today (Thursday) I see Clement has announced in their press briefing that George Thorne isn't going to be fit for Preston (or the game after) and that Bryson won't be fit for the game either. What possible good reason is there for saying that to the press? Isn't it better for us if Preston waste a lot of their time in the run up to the game planning how to try to neutralize Thorne, which they might given he's such a key player for us? I cannot fathom why the coach would out this kind of info so freely - keep your opponents guessing!

Is it just me or do we give too much away when it comes to the fitness of the players and our likely selection in the run up to a game?

It doesn't really matter, if playing well and we'll win for sure!! :)

Unless, of course, either one if these is going to be available. 

Seem to remember under Davies a few injured players miraculously recovering before kick-off! 

Unless, of course, either one if these is going to be available. 

Seem to remember under Davies a few injured players miraculously recovering before kick-off! 

If only. I remember the amazement arriving at Pride Park under Uncle George to discover Idiakez and Rasiak were in fact playing in the playoff second leg. He'd done brilliantly to keep that under wraps.

As said above, everything to gain whatever advantage we can.

He said that a common mistake of rookie managers is to reveal far too much to the press in advance.

Pretty sure the experienced McClaren would let us know when a player was going to be missing the next match due to injury.  Don't think this has anything to do with our "rookie" head coach.

If only. I remember the amazement arriving at Pride Park under Uncle George to discover Idiakez and Rasiak were in fact playing in the playoff second leg. He'd done brilliantly to keep that under wraps.

As said above, everything to gain whatever advantage we can.

Yes and both were nowhere near fit. We lost.

Gary Rowett pretty much summed it all up post match on Sky before our fixture. Said all the noises coming out of us was that we were going to deploy 2 strikers due to the lack of fire power we had produced in the previous games.

(trying to find a clip of it but there doesn't seem to be any)

Archived