Are we shopping in the wrong place?

Carl Sagan

Can't help thinking any Championship player we're trying to buy has massive premiums added to their fee because everyone else in the league sees us as a rival and doesn't want to sell to us. Quoted prices appear double or even triple what they might otherwise be.

Then the argument can be made that by their very status as Championship players there's a strong chance they're not much if any better than what we already have.

If we're after quality don't we have to look a league above, even if that's possibly going to be a loan?

If we want quality and value for money, don't we have to look abroad?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't help thinking any Championship player we're trying to buy has massive premiums added to their fee because everyone else in the league sees us as a rival and doesn't want to sell to us. Quoted prices appear double or even triple what they might otherwise be.

Then the argument can be made that by their very status as Championship players there's a strong chance they're not much if any better than what we already have.

If we're after quality don't we have to look a league above, even if that's possibly going to be a loan?

If we want quality and value for money, don't we have to look abroad?

I think we've seen with Albentosa this can be a huge gamble. We need players who can come in and be effective straight away, needing no time to adapt. Good championship players, therefore, are exactly what we need right now.

Don't forget though - signing  players from rivals is double bubble, you add their strengths to your team, whilst simultaneously weakening the rivals team, so you could argue that the premiun is justified

Always a gamble shopping abroad, trying to find players to settle into a new country quickly is hard. Shopping in the league above can get you good players who arent used to the intensity and physicality of the championship, sometimes you need to pay more for someone who knows the league well and has a short settling in period.

I think we've seen with Albentosa this can be a huge gamble. We need players who can come in and be effective straight away, needing no time to adapt. Good championship players, therefore, are exactly what we need right now.

But Albentosa was bought by the previous manager and the current one has worked resentley abroad  so should have very good contacts

But Albentosa was bought by the previous manager and the current one has worked resentley abroad  so should have very good contacts

Isn't it the same setup for SM as it is for PC? The recruitment department do all the work, identifies potential targets, the head coach gives the nod.

i see i don't have any confidence now that you said this

I think the jury is still out on Chris Evans' team, but there have been some excellent acquisitions (Ince, Weimann), good loans (Bamford, Ibe) as well as a couple of duffers (Albentosa, Shotton?). Really, it all comes down to how well PC can coach the talent he's been given to play with.

this bugs me, nobody knows Evan's brief. He could very well have been asked to find and line up players who are tried and tested at this level.

In which case I think he could have done better than Warnock ,Shotton and Bent .Yes I know about the number of goals Bent scored last year but the overall package is wrong IMO.

Any summary for those of us who are deaf?

Just because I'm feeling generous:

"Well it wasn't public from our side, it was public from the other side, and we'll continue to do our business in private. If other chairmen or players or agents want to speak about that, that's down to them. We want to keep our business done in private, we think that's the right way to do it, and it will remain that way until we make a signing."

"I just concentrate on working with the players I have. Coaching them, getting them prepared for the game, analysing our performances. I speak to Sam Rush and Chris Evans daily about who our targets are, and how things are progressing. We work closely together on assignment of players, that's important. We go about it with a certain class, and that's very important to us."

It's that second half I wanted to highlight.

I'm still eagerly awaiting our first loanee, surely Clement is going to be a favoured coach to send young stars to for at least the top clubs he's been at. 

You'd think he'd be able to pull a few strings, we'll see. Be nice if he could bring in a couple of european whizz kid midfielders to help us out.

Archived