Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

The selection was woeful, and I'd put massive blame on any manager doing such a thing.

A scattering of fringe players plus your best players is OK, but a scattering of fringe players plus lesser first-team players in the most important positions is absolutely terrible.

I agree in that credit should go Sheffield Wednesday's way. They were brilliant.

But from an Arsenal perspective, it was all wrong. Arsenal should have played their best centre-back, at least one of their two best midfielders and at least one of their two best attacking players.

Resting their five best players was such a poor decision. Fair enough if it's the League Cup first-round away at Barnet, but not the last 16 with a genuine chance of making it to Wembley.

I've just arrived at work and my colleague is an Arsenal fan. His response to Arsenal losing, "Oh well, I don't really care. It's only the Carling Cup. 

Bris, it doesn't matter. It's no big deal and if a manager wants to prioritise, then that is his choice. 

He played half of his best team and they lost. 

Credit where creidt is due. Give Wednesday the credit as every time you knock Wenger's selection, you are belittling Sheffield Wednesday's performance.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just arrived at work and my colleague is an Arsenal fan. His response to Arsenal losing, "Oh well, I don't really care. It's only the Carling Cup. 

Bris, it doesn't matter. It's no big deal and if a manager wants to prioritise, then that is his choice. 

He played half of his best team and they lost. 

Credit where creidt is due. Give Wednesday the credit as every time you knock Wenger's selection, you are belittling Sheffield Wednesday's performance.

I'm not belittling anything. In fact, I wrote an article and said a number of times on Twitter that people are overlooking an excellent Wednesday performance.

But.. From an Arsenal persepctive, their team selection was all wrong hence their performance and the ensuing result.

I'm not saying Wenger purposely wanted his team to lose, yet the selection he put out pretty much stated that he wasn't really interested in winning the competition.

If that was an FA Cup clash, no way would all of his better players be rested.

What I don't understand is - Why wouldn't he want to win the League Cup? I've always questioned why England bothers having two domestic cups. Doesn't happen in Germany or Spain.

I'm not belittling anything. In fact, I wrote an article and said a number of times on Twitter that people are overlooking an excellent Wednesday performance.

But.. From an Arsenal persepctive, their team selection was all wrong hence their performance and the ensuing result.

I'm not saying Wenger purposely wanted his team to lose, yet the selection he put out pretty much stated that he wasn't really interested in winning the competition.

If that was an FA Cup clash, no way would all of his better players be rested.

What I don't understand is - Why wouldn't he want to win the League Cup? I've always questioned why England bothers having two domestic cups. Doesn't happen in Germany or Spain.

He does want to win the League Cup and he selected a side that he thought would win the game.

What is wrong with that?

If Derby were playing a lesser league side, then I would support the manager if he decided to play some of our fringe players and some of the first teamers.

When else are they supposed to get a little exposure to the first team? 

Managers are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They get criticised for not rotating players or for not utilising their squads and when they do, they get criticised for not taking games seriously. 

Wenger always does this with the League Cup. He did it last year and they won it. Were you critical then for him playing weaker sides that managed to win games?

The League Cup is the lesser of all of the competitions that Arsenal are involved in, and one in which presents the perfect opportunity for Wenger to see if his fringe players are good enough. 

He will be gutted they put in a sub-par performance, as the team he put out, when playing to their potential, are more than a match for any Championship side.

Manager Arsene Wenger has admitted using "too many experienced players" after Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott were injured in Arsenal's 3-0 League Cup loss at Sheffield Wednesday.

Walcott replaced Oxlade-Chamberlain but left the field on 18 minutes and both will have scans on muscular injuries.

The Gunners boss said the injuries to both forwards were a "big blow".

"We are short now with the injuries," added the 66-year-old Frenchman, who has six other first-team players out.

"I have to manage the workload of the players and at the end of the day I still think I maybe brought too many experienced players here."

Read more: http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34654548

He does want to win the League Cup and he selected a side that he thought would win the game.

What is wrong with that?

If Derby were playing a lesser league side, then I would support the manager if he decided to play some of our fringe players and some of the first teamers.

When else are they supposed to get a little exposure to the first team? 

Managers are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They get criticised for not rotating players or for not utilising their squads and when they do, they get criticised for not taking games seriously. 

Wenger always does this with the League Cup. He did it last year and they won it. Were you critical then for him playing weaker sides that managed to win games?

The League Cup is the lesser of all of the competitions that Arsenal are involved in, and one in which presents the perfect opportunity for Wenger to see if his fringe players are good enough. 

He will be gutted they put in a sub-par performance, as the team he put out, when playing to their potential, are more than a match for any Championship side.

If Wenger really wanted to win that game, he would have picked at least three of his better players. Like I said before, a scattering of his best players plus fringe players would suffice.

As for expose, it was the round of 16. Three games away from a final. You have the first rounds against smaller teams for that, not so far into the competition.

Unless, of course, Wenger didn't give a damn about it. I'm sure he wanted to win, but clearly not enough to play at least of his five best players.

It was a horrendous decision IMO, no matter how you try and dress it up. I'd be fairly annoyed if I was one of the 4k Arsenal fans that travelled up to see that.

With such a good opportunity to go deep in the competition and they do that...

Also, Arsenal haven't won the League Cup since 1993. Clearly they don't care about it. Last year they lost 1-2 at home to Southampton in the 3rd round.

If Wenger really wanted to win that game, he would have picked at least three of his better players. Like I said before, a scattering of his best players plus fringe players would suffice.

As for expose, it was the round of 16. Three games away from a final. You have the first rounds against smaller teams for that, not so far into the competition.

Unless, of course, Wenger didn't give a damn about it. I'm sure he wanted to win, but clearly not enough to play at least of his five best players.

It was a horrendous decision IMO, no matter how you try and dress it up. I'd be fairly annoyed if I was one of the 4k Arsenal fans that travelled up to see that.

With such a good opportunity to go deep in the competition and they do that...

Also, Arsenal haven't won the League Cup since 1993. Clearly they don't care about it. Last year they lost 1-2 at home to Southampton in the 3rd round.

Let's have a look at the tems that the big clubs are paying shall we.

Liverpool rest erm....10 players. Really? That is more than Wenger so I guess that is a more "horrendous" decicion than Wenger. Maybe not though because they won the game.

Manchester United rest half their side. Horrendous. Horrendous.

Man City rest many of their first teamers. Horrendous.

Southampton rest most of their first 11. Horrendous. How dare they!

Bris, every club rests players and the irony here is that Wenger played a stronger side than many other managers are doing.

Are you going to have a go at all of the other managers or is it simply more convenient to have a go at Wenger because they lost?

Nobody really prioritises this competition and then fans know that. Even the Championship clubs rest players and they do that when theyb are playing Premiership sides. Those 4K travelling Arsenal fans would have known that and would have likely been quite surprised that Wenger named such a strong starting 11.

So go on then, have a go at all of the other managers or would you sooner be selective about who you criticise.

I for one was most disappointed when Leeds played their reserves against us in 1970 ,

never forgiven 'em for that .

'Indeed, when United lost 4-1 at Derby on March 30, there was not a regular on show. The team sheet that evening contained one of Revie's most infamous selections; Harvey, Davey, Peterson, Lumsden, Kennedy, Yorath, Galvin, Bates, Belfitt, Hibbitt, Johanneson.

The Football League punished the club harshly for the misdemeanour, a breach of regulation 23, which specified that "each club shall play its full strength in all League matches unless some satisfactory reason is given". They levied a fine of £5,000, the highest yet imposed for the offence. The previous highest figure was £2,000 paid by Everton in 1967 for fielding a reserve side against Leeds'

Archived