Bolton Wanderers v Derby County

i-Ram

On my way back, I know the replys will all be about give them time but I don't like the dimond, we are to narrow and doesn't suit the full backs we are playing, Hughes or ince (he is better out wide one on one with the full backs). After pre season I was worried that we were going to be a more pragmatic side and that's what it looked like today, it may end up being more effective but I myself quite enjoyed the score as many as we can approach of the 2 seasons. I do think our centre halfs are a good blend and played well.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were poor in the last third. Ince and Martin chief culprits. Don't like Ince central.

Played some neat stuff in front of Bolton but seldom threatened. 

Unruffled at the back until Heskey came on.

Drab game, which may only be remembered for Hughes getting stretchered off.

On the upside, the weather was nice.

I'm a bit disappointed in Clement. A poor bench selection featuring 3 defenders? One of whom is versatile enough to play rb or cb? But then only one wide player? No Dawkins who could have been an extra wide player or gone into the middle?

Then the post-match interview in which he says two teams playing a diamond cancelled each other out. Well I thought we had a plan A, B and C? Admittedly after the injuries one of those (4-3-3) went out of the window (only as Dawkins wasn't on the bench mind) but 4-2-3-1 was still on the cards right?

However, that isn't being negative, (as I get the sense that some people are clamouring for one of those stupid polarised wrist slashers vs happy clappers debates) it's just being critical. I'm still hopeful of a good season and am not jumping to any conclusions after one game, with a manager who is still learning the ropes and a couple of nasty injuries putting half of our midfield out.

Going to throw this out there, but a diamond formation restricts the best out of Martin, Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick and Ince.

It's only more beneficial to Bent, Weimann (who prefers to play centrally) and Russell (who probably prefers to play centrally, though can still do a job out wide).

If we persist with a diamond to try and suit our summer recruitments and end up paying for it, then blame has to solely lie at the feet of those doing the buying for bringing in players who didn't fit a system which was clearly working.

The overreaction to this result is quite staggering. We spent the entire summer talking about how we need to remain grounded because, with a new coach and players we were almost certainly going to have a slow start. People get all flustered when we sign good players and suddenly a slow start is unacceptable.

We didn't play that poorly. 

I agree that the formation doesn't seem to suit but we have to give the staff and players time for it to either come good, or change to something else. Things don't get changed in football on the fly (successfully).

Our passing was off, both by weight and the communication between players but we still had almost 60% posession. Our breaks lost momentum too easily, often the fault of Ince but other's contributed as people's decision making was slow. The injury to Hughes disrupted the formation and style of play, and while I'm surprised we didn't change our formation to accommodate we didn't go heavily downhill afterwards.

Yes, they hit the bar a bunch of times but almost all of them were after the inclusion of (a fresh) Heskey playing against what must have been very tired Derby players (having to make 2 of your substitions within 35 minutes of the first game of the season is horrendous luck) and while on another day we'd have conceded you can counter that argument by saying that on another day Derby players might have been fitter, sharper and not lost two players to injury in the first half.

We created chances, chances you'd expect Derby to put away but chances all the same. 

If we brought that performance to the table when everyone is fit, settled and has developed a good understanding with all the players around them I would be very very concerned. Right now, I'm not. I'm glad we got a point, I'm hoping Hughes/Bryson aren't out for too long and I'm looking forward to both Pompey and Charlton.

Personally, I would play a very strong side against Pompey so the players can work on their general team-play ahead of the Charlton game.

Going to throw this out there, but a diamond formation restricts the best out of Martin, Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick and Ince.

It's only more beneficial to Bent, Weimann (who prefers to play centrally) and Russell (who probably prefers to play centrally, though can still do a job out wide).

If we persist with a diamond to try and suit our summer recruitments and end up paying for it, then blame has to solely lie at the feet of those doing the buying for bringing in players who didn't fit a system which was clearly working.

I agree but think Hendrick and Bryson should be able to play a diamond ok. I think the formation suits box to box players. You probably see them more than me though.

Most people seem to think Ince is better out wide but I still hope he can adapt. Hughes and Martin though definitely. Hughes isn't a natural athlete so to speak and the diamond, even more so than a conventional 4-4-2 where the midfield provides the width, requires the strikers to run the channels. That's not Martin's game.

I don't mind the diamond as I'm up for having options, but I think it might have become our default formation and I'm not too sure about that.

I'm a bit disappointed in Clement. A poor bench selection featuring 3 defenders? One of whom is versatile enough to play rb or cb? But then only one wide player? No Dawkins who could have been an extra wide player or gone into the middle?

Then the post-match interview in which he says two teams playing a diamond cancelled each other out. Well I thought we had a plan A, B and C? Admittedly after the injuries one of those (4-3-3) went out of the window (only as Dawkins wasn't on the bench mind) but 4-2-3-1 was still on the cards right?

However, that isn't being negative, (as I get the sense that some people are clamouring for one of those stupid polarised wrist slashers vs happy clappers debates) it's just being critical. I'm still hopeful of a good season and am not jumping to any conclusions after one game, with a manager who is still learning the ropes and a couple of nasty injuries putting half of our midfield out.

I think that's a fair criticism of Clement. Clearly he was expecting to make changes in defense, but he should have been prepared for the possibility of bad luck on the injury front. I think elements such as bench selection will be something he will make mistakes in in his first solo role.

Baird 5 and Shotton 7? I can't tell if this is sarcasm or a serious review...

Baird was fine at RB but was lost in the midfield in my opinion. Leggy, didn't move the ball quick enough and didn't pick a killer pass. Shotton played very well at fullback and did a great job keeping Madine quiet. Shotton is the scapegoat, of course he is! 

I think that's a fair criticism of Clement. Clearly he was expecting to make changes in defense, but he should have been prepared for the possibility of bad luck on the injury front. I think elements such as bench selection will be something he will make mistakes in in his first solo role.

I'm not too sure why he'd have been expecting to make changes in defence. As a general rule you don't change your back four unless there's an injury or someone is having a stinker. 2 defenders on the bench should be enough and McClaren often only had the one. Concerns over Shackells fitness perhaps? 

I'm not too sure why he'd have been expecting to make changes in defence. As a general rule you don't change your back four unless there's an injury or someone is having a stinker. 2 defenders on the bench should be enough and McClaren often only had the one. Concerns over Shackells fitness perhaps? 

That's my thought, add that to concerns with fitness in an area you'd likely move Baird to, maybe Warnock was on his mind also?

that's your opinion, but defensively he was as good as any on the pitch. All their dangerous attacks came down our left...

To be fair you might be right defensively, I suppose he did a job, but going forward in this system he wasn't up to it, and in this system the fullbacks need to push up for width, I think Forsyth & Christie would have enjoyed all the space out wide today

To be fair you might be right defensively, I suppose he did a job, but going forward in this system he wasn't up to it, and in this system the fullbacks need to push up for width, I think Forsyth & Christie would have enjoyed all the space out wide today

It's not his game unfortunately. I still think we need a RB. Forsyth should have started today 

Agree with this. Every time Shotton gets the ball it's at a standstill, and we completely lose momentum. He's doing his best, didn't drop any major clangers defensively, but he was a liability going forward. Warnock is not as good as Forsyth in any facet of the game and I'm astonished he got picked.

Can't believe we couldn't beat '10 man' Bolton.

We only played against a10 man team for the last 5 minutes we had two forced substitutions put on us in the first 30 minutes of the match. Taking into consideration this was the first match of the season and we will get better. I well happy to have a point away from home, a clean sheet and George Thorne completing 90 minutes of football for the first time in ages. In Paul Clement I trust. COYR

Baird was fine at RB but was lost in the midfield in my opinion. Leggy, didn't move the ball quick enough and didn't pick a killer pass. Shotton played very well at fullback and did a great job keeping Madine quiet. Shotton is the scapegoat, of course he is! 

One of Bolton's chances that hit the bar came from Shotton losing his man. He lacks any of the mental traits you need to be a good defender; concentration, composure, positioning etc.

Fair enough if you didn't rate Baird, I thought all of the midfield lacked options when on the ball but not just him in particular.

Archived