Player Ratings from Burton Game?

drgoodspeak

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson - 7/10. Not much to do but a fantastic save at the end of the first half with his teeth. Good when called upon.
Christie - 4/10. So so going forward. Caught out of position lots.
Shotton - 6/10. Good in possession but wasn't tested much and was at fault for their goal.
Shackell - 10/10. Flawless.
Warnock - 6/10. Was he even on the pitch?
Baird - 8/10. Steady Eddie. Put in a fantastic overhead sliding tackle first half.
Thorne - 9/10 - getting back to his best.
Weimann - 8/10. A real livewire. Endless running. Helps out in defence and is always taking up good attacking positions.
Ince - 6/10. Still quiet but moments of quality.
Russell 8/10. Best player so far in preseason.
Sammon - 4/10. Another anonymous performance.

You might want to take that with a pinch of salt as I wasn't at the game and made most of that up. 

Carson- 6.5

Christie  4- good going forward, keeps losing the ball

Shotton 6 Capable enough

Shackell 7 - looked good

Keogh  negative 7

Forsyth 4- keeps giving the ball away

Thorne 8- immense

Baird- 7- solid 

Ince 8 looked good in the central role

Wiemann 7- ran around a lot, did some constructive stuff too

Bent 7- scored a goal, not much else, can't hold the ball up like Martin can

Pretty hard to do stuff like this from pre-season friendlies. Will do a little write up but not ratings, will do starting 11

Carson - 7 number 1 for me. Just looks calmer than Grant

Christie - actually looked more of his former self today. Some decent tekkers in places. But not sure this side needs a right back like him

Shotton - looked steady if unspectacular. Sooooo laid back not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing 

Shackell - absolute Rolls Royce of a defender. Touch of class at the back. Especially first half. Was hard to judge 2nd half when he was so far away

Forsyth - got forward well and defended ok. 

Baird - looked decent in the middle, you'd think he was a centre midfielder by trade if you just judged on his performance today. Always looked to get the ball forwards and passes really well. Could very easily become a cult hero

Thorne - absolute touch of class. Can see he's starting to rediscover his passing range and put himself about. Great to see. 

Russell - was absolutely everywhere! Worked hard as usual and today had the finishing product to go with it

Ince - going to be the man this season. Looks so quick and dangerous every time he gets the ball. Looks like he's in the prefect side to bring out the best in him

Weimann - lightening! Had some decent touches and well taken goal. Looks like he only needs a sniff to make something happen

Bent - usual Benty self. Put himself about a bit running into channels. Decent goal

special mention for Jamie Hanson who looked decent when he came on. Also Simon Dawkins, again looking absolute dynamite playing in the middle, looked incredibley sharp and don't think he lost the ball once after coming on. Loved the way he drives himself forward with the ball. Looks so much more confident than when out on the wing

Ignore the first two posters who have a vendetta against Christie, here is a reasoned analysis for you.

Carson - 6. Nothing to do, but seemed a little reluctant to come off his line. Kicking average. Based on this and Wednesday night, I would start with Grant. (Change of view for me there)

Christie - 7. Shaky opening few minutes then settled down. Better crossing and releasing the ball quicker.

Shotton - 6. Similar to Christie but helped out by the fact they only played one up front. Won his headers, looked more comfortable on haven't right of the defence,

Shackell - 7. Couple of misplaced passes but saw him giving orders out a lot which I liked. Dominant in the air.

Forsyth - 6. Not in the game as much as he should be but the ball didn't seem to make it's way out to him despite hugging the line. Few misplaced balls down the line which he needs to improve on.

Thorne - 7. Ran the game with Baird in the middle, really like the look of him this pre season.

Baird - 7. As above. Continually showed and wanted the ball. Complimented Thorne really well.

Ince - 6. I actually think he looks a tad lost in the role behind the striker and positionally wise he doesn't yet know where to go. Couple of mazy runs and one lovely cross field pass to Forsyth. Secret to a good cross field pass is keep the ball under fifteen foot.

Weimann - 7. Another excellent performance and goal. Really like the look of this guy.

Russell - 7. Busy, lovely assist for Weimann, good strikers finish goal. Always in the game and direct.

Bent - 6. Typical striker, won't do much for a while but then scores a good goal. He could end up with so many sixes all season but then he will have fifteen goals to his name.

Subs, as someone above has said, Hanson was effective on the ball, Hendrick was solid and Martin is a must in the team all day long.

i think Clement has a challenge because go with 4-4-2 diamond, Baird can go right back, but Russell will drop out, go 4-2-3-1 then do Hughes and Hendrick make way, we look more solid defensively but Christie plays right back?

I prefer the diamond more, and we should have more confidence to go to places like Bolton and dictate the game.

For me:

Carson - 6, Didn't have much to do, shaky start and kicking wasn't great

Christie - 7, Looked really promising going forward but didn't get to see much defensively

Shotton - 4, By far our worst player, not really any positives about him

Shackell - 8, Calm and controlled on the ball, read the game really well, a good performance considering it was his first 90 mins! 

Forsyth - 7, Really good going forwards and put a couple of good crosses in, didn't do much wrong defensively

Baird - 7, Quite slow to get things moving but didn't do anything wrong and was solid

Thorne - 7, Controlled the game and passing was good but didn't do anything special

Ince - 5, Didn't notice him much, got a bit lucky sometimes but didn't really look a threat

Russell - 8, Played really well today, got another goal and should really be one of the first players on the team sheet for Bolton

Weimann - 8, Worked his socks off today and got a goal, another one I would put on the team sheet!

Bent - 6, Got a bit lucky with the goal but other than that he didn't really do anything special

Ssewankambo - 7, Not full of confidence but looked really strong and good going forward, I would pick him against Bolton

Keogh - 7, Looked shaky to start but came into the game a bit and didn't make any mistakes so solid performance

Hanson - 8, Really good performance  from Hanson, I don't think he misplaced a pass. Wasn't afraid to put a tackle in either! 

Hendrick - 7, Solid performance from him today, good on the ball but nothing special

Hughes - 7, Great touch and good in possesion but didn't do much, The ball stuck to his feet whenever he had it

Dawkins - 7, Very good on the ball but same as hughes, he didn't really do much with it

Martin - 8, Played really well and was unlucky to not get a goal/assist, Brought a bit of pace to the game and was strong in possession

I think that's everyone!  

Carson - 7/10. Not much to do but a fantastic save at the end of the first half with his teeth. Good when called upon.
Shotton - 6/10. Good in possession but wasn't tested much and was at fault for their goal.
Baird - 8/10. Steady Eddie. Put in a fantastic overhead sliding tackle first half.
Weimann - 8/10. A real livewire. Endless running. Helps out in defence and is always taking up good attacking positions.

You might want to take that with a pinch of salt as I wasn't at the game and made most of that up. 

Warnock wasn't on the pitch no, it was Fozzy! 

Ignore the first two posters who have a vendetta against Christie, here is a reasoned analysis for you.

Carson - 6. Nothing to do, but seemed a little reluctant to come off his line. Kicking average. Based on this and Wednesday night, I would start with Grant. (Change of view for me there)

Christie - 7. Shaky opening few minutes then settled down. Better crossing and releasing the ball quicker.

Shotton - 6. Similar to Christie but helped out by the fact they only played one up front. Won his headers, looked more comfortable on haven't right of the defence,

Shackell - 7. Couple of misplaced passes but saw him giving orders out a lot which I liked. Dominant in the air.

Forsyth - 6. Not in the game as much as he should be but the ball didn't seem to make it's way out to him despite hugging the line. Few misplaced balls down the line which he needs to improve on.

Thorne - 7. Ran the game with Baird in the middle, really like the look of him this pre season.

Baird - 7. As above. Continually showed and wanted the ball. Complimented Thorne really well.

Ince - 6. I actually think he looks a tad lost in the role behind the striker and positionally wise he doesn't yet know where to go. Couple of mazy runs and one lovely cross field pass to Forsyth. Secret to a good cross field pass is keep the ball under fifteen foot.

Weimann - 7. Another excellent performance and goal. Really like the look of this guy.

Russell - 7. Busy, lovely assist for Weimann, good strikers finish goal. Always in the game and direct.

Bent - 6. Typical striker, won't do much for a while but then scores a good goal. He could end up with so many sixes all season but then he will have fifteen goals to his name.

Subs, as someone above has said, Hanson was effective on the ball, Hendrick was solid and Martin is a must in the team all day long.

i think Clement has a challenge because go with 4-4-2 diamond, Baird can go right back, but Russell will drop out, go 4-2-3-1 then do Hughes and Hendrick make way, we look more solid defensively but Christie plays right back?

I prefer the diamond more, and we should have more confidence to go to places like Bolton and dictate the game.

can't comment on ratings as didn't see or hear the game  (it won't stop others) but agree about dictating play. This is something I liked about McClaren over Billy.

I think Ince is our 'luxury' player - one who can be fairly anonymous for 89 minutes but then will fashion a goal out of nothing to claim the 3 points in an otherwise tight match. We have enough quality and energy throughout the rest of the side to be able to include Ince as a regular in the starting XI, knowing that he's always capable of pulling something out of the bag.

For the Shackell lovers, it was his misplaced pass in the second half which led to their best chance to equaliser (the bloke ended up firing just over the cross section) but don't worry, give him a ten.

Only take notice of a few people's player ratings because they're either looking for faults in certain players and/or making excuses for others. 

Only take notice of a few people's player ratings because they're either looking for faults in certain players and/or making excuses for others. 

Agreed. I'm not a fan of Christie or Dawkins but neither of them were poor today and will award scores based on a neutral opinion of all players. 

TBF on Dawkins, Clements formations may help him out more but his lack of being around for pre season won't help him.

Carson 7 Did want was asked of him

Christie 6 Was ok

Forstyh 7 Was solid enough

Shotton 6 Did his job

Shackell 7 Good to see him back

Thorne 9 Getting fitter and better each game,he has so much talent

Baird 8 Reads the game so well,and so assured 

Ince 7 Has so much talent will get better when it matters

Wiemann 7 Never stops working,and will be one to watch this season

Russell 7 Worked hard,and scored again that's 4 goals now pre season

Bent 6 good finish,but no Chris Martin,but he will always score goals.

subs Martin looked strong,Keogh looked solid,Hughes looked neat,and Hendrick looked powerful.Bring on the season.Bolton,BOLTON here we come.

If you wouldn't mind.... Commentary on a player's performance extra-appreciated.

I'm guessing you're pretty new to the forum. There's this whole other section called "Matchday Talk" which has threads on every game. The mods should have moved your post over to there, but you'll find more info in the Burton thread,

Starting 11:

Carson, 6 - Decent enough when called upon, but kicking was poor.

Christie, 6 - Started off shakily but grew into the game, still not great defensively but more like his old self when attacking.

Shotton, 6 - Decent distribution when it came to the simple passes and won his fair share of duels, but still doesn't fill me with confidence. 

Shackell, 8 - Baring the one bad pass that nearly led to a goal he was sublime, reading the game brilliantly and reacting when needed, by far our best defender in the team. 

Forsyth, 7 - Solid defensively as usual and started rampaging up wing again, even getting caught offside a couple times. But again as usual his distribution tended to be fairly poor with a few wayward balls down the line.

Baird, 7 - Impressed with him in midfield did the simple stuff and looked positive on the ball.

Thorne, 8 - Reminiscent of the 13/14 season, dictated play and looked very strong when asked to defend. Hardly put a foot wrong except for a bad challenge that should've been a yellow and if you get the wrong referee could've been a red.

Russell, 8 - Great energy and was willing to put himself about, great pass to Weimann for his goal and a good touch and finish for his goal. 

Ince, 6 - Didn't seem to be that involved but did provide some good moments and could've very easily scored. Always a must have in the team since he can turn a game upside down and conjure something up from nothing.

Weimann, 8 - I have been very impressed with him from the what I've seen, bags of energy like Russell but his finsihing seems slightly more consistent. If we keep playing him and Russell we will score goals from their closing down and tireless running.

Bent, 7 - Tired to be more involved with build up play but is still nowhere near the level of Martin, took his goal very well and will always be an asset to team as long as e keeps scoring.

Subs:

Ssewankambo, 7 - Looked strong defensively and fairly good offensively, I wouldn't be surprised if he's ahead of Christie in Clement's plans.

Keogh, 6 - Didn't do much wrong apart from possibly losing his man after a freekick which could've lead to a goal, his distribution was good and seems more confident without the burden of the captaincy. Should be in the CB partnership with Shackell in my opinion.

Hanson, 8 - Looked brilliant on the ball, both his long and short passing were sublime, and didn't shrink a challenge, he's definitely shown clement he can play.

Hendrick, 7 - Another good performance, good passing, good control, bagged an accidental assist and nearly scored from a freekick.

Martin, 7 - Very good hold up play as usual and seemed more willing to shoot than on Wednesday, his backheel to Ssewankambo was beautiful. He is a must have in any formation we play.  

Dawkins, 7 - The ball seemed glued to his foot, looked like the player he was when he first came in on loan, hopefully now his family issues are behind and he can get back to playing like this regularly.

Hughes, 7 - As usual he was a joy to watch great dribbling and passing, a midfield with Hughes and Thorne makes me feel funny in the pant region.

in interests of honesty and fairness.....he hit one pass across half way straight to their forward in second half....giving him a clear run at goal. Keogh pushed him onto weaker right foot, and he blazed wide. I was in stand on half way and could see the pass clearly.

shackell was immense, and so to was keogh when he came on, winning many headers 

I mention this , as most moaning fans would have seized on such a mistake by keogh, even though keogh minor errors are not as blatant as Shacks poor pass. 

Hopefully our fans stop moaning and let the two best Centre Halves in league play together ....

shacks, keogh with Thorne in front will be immense 

Archived