Centre Backs Balance

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What on earth has gone in here tonight? Looks like I'm late to the show. Oh well, *grabs popcorn*

Nothing you need to worry about anyway!

When will people learn that defending and attacking is done as a team, not just a back four or front two/three?

Bournemouth conceded 66 goals in the 2013/14 campaign. The only changes they made to the back five were Boruc for Camp (after about 12 games in) and Daniels replacing Harte at left-back.

Are you telling me that those two changes is the reason why they conceded 21 goals less the following campaign?

It's frightening that people think defenders do the defending and attackers do attacking. 

I'm not one to tell people they're clueless but you can't talk about football with people who think the above 

You defend from the front and attack from the back. Whether it be a long hoof or the first pass to a technically better player. Whether it's wingers tracking back or pressing. 

I really can't believe anyone thinks like that. It's amazed me. I can't imagine they have ever played football at all. Even on a playground you get kids telling kids to "get back" or "go to him"

It hurts my head.

It's frightening that people think defenders do the defending and attackers do attacking. 

I'm not one to tell people they're clueless but you can't talk about football with people who think the above 

You defend from the front and attack from the back. Whether it be a long hoof or the first pass to a technically better player. Whether it's wingers tracking back or pressing. 

I really can't believe anyone thinks like that. It's amazed me. I can't imagine they have ever played football at all. Even on a playground you get kids telling kids to "get back" or "go to him"

It hurts my head.

Defenders still have to defend properly even though the whole team is also responsible for defending from front to back. 

Football is not rocket science. 

Question to you .

If an attacker is coming down one wing towards a defender does the defender show him inside or outside. 

Defenders still have to defend properly even though the whole team is also responsible for defending from front to back. 

Football is not rocket science. 

Question to you .

If an attacker is coming down one wing towards a defender does the defender show him inside or outside. 

How is anybody supposed to answer that when defending is totally situational? 

Is he stronger cutting inside or taking it wide? Does he excel at crossing from deep or from taking the ball to the by-line and cutting it back? Is there a player looking to burst through the channel or assist the winger on the overlap? If so; is anybody tracking this player? 

How is anybody supposed to answer that when defending is totally situational? 

Is he stronger cutting inside or taking it wide? Does he excel at crossing from deep or from taking the ball to the by-line and cutting it back? Is there a player looking to burst through the channel or assist the winger on the overlap? If so; is anybody tracking this player? 

In general a wing back should always show the outside and not let the forward come inside for a very good shooting opportunity .

A defender should never let a forward run the channels and get in behind. 

A defender often defends by calmness and instinct and reading the game and the opponent. 

The best defenders know what to do that's why Shackell is so good .

Where his signings good enough and did he sort the defence out. 

I was right behind him but in retrospect Mac failed. 

no he didn't sort out the defence he just has plan 1 and if that doesn't work then he's got note else so he failed AGAIN! 

In general a wing back should always show the outside and not let the forward come inside for a very good shooting opportunity .

A defender should never let a forward run the channels and get in behind. 

A defender often defends by calmness and instinct and reading the game and the opponent. 

The best defenders know what to do that's why Shackell is so good .

You let them go inside if that's their weaker foot and you have more bodies in there to make the tackle. 

I've never once said that we don't need to improve the defenders. I'm just not having it that defenders defend and attackers attack and that's it. That's what Super Rams suggests. He talks about Grimsby but doesn't acknowledge that the first goal there's a perfect 4 midfield line and yet none of them have picked up the runners. Hence Keogh has 2 men. 

But he blames Keogh for that because he's supposed to organise. I'm sorry but if defensive midfielders are letting attacking midfielders run into the box unmarked then it's their fault. 

It's not just up to a captain to speak. The armband means bugger all. Everyone should communicate. 

The whole idea that you don't defend from the front and attack from the back completely baffles me. No team in the world, pub league or Champions League trust 4 or 5 players to defend. 

You let them go inside if that's their weaker foot and you have more bodies in there to make the tackle. 

I've never once said that we don't need to improve the defenders. I'm just not having it that defenders defend and attackers attack and that's it. That's what Super Rams suggests. He talks about Grimsby but doesn't acknowledge that the first goal there's a perfect 4 midfield line and yet none of them have picked up the runners. Hence Keogh has 2 men. 

But he blames Keogh for that because he's supposed to organise. I'm sorry but if defensive midfielders are letting attacking midfielders run into the box unmarked then it's their fault. 

It's not just up to a captain to speak. The armband means bugger all. Everyone should communicate. 

The whole idea that you don't defend from the front and attack from the back completely baffles me. No team in the world, pub league or Champions League trust 4 or 5 players to defend. 

I've no idea what other people think but this is what I think.  

If yo play with a holding midfielder he is expected to try and shore up the middle of the team by controling that area .

In other words the DM is like a police man he cajoles and polices that area .

The DM needs to be able to tackle and distribute and set up play with incisive  passing forward and back. 

Now to the defence. 

The CB area needs to be controlled mainly by th 2 CBs and the Wing backs need to be able to tuck in stop crosses and mostly show players down the line. 

If the forwards come inside the CBs need to come across just as the Wing backs have to come across to help CBs with diagonal balls in across the box. 

Goalkeepers .

They need to cajole the defence and come out when necessary to cut out through balls but only when necessary. 

Goalies these days need to be good footballers who can distribute the ball well by kicking and throwing. 

Goalies need to command the box and come for certain crosses as well as be good shot stoppers  

Midfielders .

Other midfielders need to defend as well as the DM by getting up an down the field  

Attackers  

Need to defend corners and free kicks also and help our defensively if they can 

Wingers need to get up and down and defend as well as attack often helping out wing backs  

Summing up 

A team needs good players and a team attacks and defends as a team but primarily a defence needs to be able to defend and a midfield needs to create and attackers need to score goals .

IF ONLY IT WAS THAT EASY 

goalkeepers never catch anything these days.

they parry and punch and aren't a patch on keepers like pat jennings, peter shilton etc

and as for  fullbacks showing players inside.....alan hinton said that the wingers job was to go outside and get to the bye-line so that when the cross came over the centre forward was facing goal.....he said if the winger was forced inside then the cross comes in at 45 degrees and the centre forward has his back to goal.

goalkeepers never catch anything these days.

they parry and punch and aren't a patch on keepers like pat jennings, peter shilton etc

and as for  fullbacks showing players inside.....alan hinton said that the wingers job was to go outside and get to the bye-line so that when the cross came over the centre forward was facing goal.....he said if the winger was forced inside then the cross comes in at 45 degrees and the centre forward has his back to goal.

Hinton was a genius at crossing the ball and you don't get many of those these days. 

Hinton used to go both ways inside and outside as did John Roberston another wing genius. 

Albentosa and Shackell is my choice eventually I hope.

Keogh  and Shackell would be good .

If we get Shackell of course.

If we don't get Shackell I'd go Pearce and Albentosa but we have a good mix with Shotton and Buxton as well as  the U21 lads

If Shackell signs tonight, then I would have these in at -

Carson   

Baird           Pearce  Shackell        Fozzy

Use Bucko and Albentosa as res / incase of injury

Archived