Is this the most exciting pre-season you can remember?

robglosta

It certainly is for me!  Lots of buzz; atmospheric plans (nod to the 1884 Group); investment from a local hero; signing top quality players; new head-coach from the footballing elite; season tickets flying out the door at record speed.  Heck, we even won the 250k football league prize. 

I can't quite remember a pre-season like it. Can you? 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no cover for Chris Martin. George Thorne has only got Baird for cover, and he's going to have to play right back.

We're exciting, but we still lack balance in the squad.

I tried to start a thread on this the other day but couldn't get my words out, I was trying to ask where does this rank in the pre seasons over the years, some have seen more than others....ahem Eddie.....I have a shocking memory when it comes to football but I can't remember anything coming as close as this.

Back with the Jim Smith years I was a bit young to really pay much attention to the summer activity, didn't have the internet so no forums or social media, was still trying to get served alcohol so didn't get into the pubs much to chat with people. Didn't have Sky Sports News or anything to build up the hype.

The only way I heard about signings was on Radio Derby or the back of the DET when they had signed or were signing in the next 24 hours. You would see the names, where they come from and it was a let's see how he gets on....how football should be!

All changed now, more football on TV which some hate Sky for but I love it, better coverage on the internet, news, wiki and with forums like these giving you that pub lounge feel bouncing off one another it's hard not to get excited. When the chairman of your club invites you down to show you behind the scenes and has an open chat with you, kinda helps as well. 

Trying to stay slightly cautious tho, this is the Championship, anything can happen, a couple of long term injuries at the wrong time can cripple your season. Right now we look great on paper but how many clubs have we seen over the years looking good on paper and not performing on the pitch?

Not wanting to put a dampner on it but we haven't kicked a ball yet.

Many of the signings are potential squad players, and two were here last season during the slump, so......lets see who else signs.

i'd say some of the memorable pre seasons were when we signed mark wright and peter shilton in the 80s

last year when we signed george thorne......until we broke him.

In 72/73 when we signed david nish for a british record transfer fee

and in 75/76 when we signed charlie george.

Nothing really exciting at all about it. Routine hope and expectation, no more no less. Concerns if anything re unproven manager, a meddling Chief Exec and a middling track record player recruitment team.

Nothing really exciting at all about it. Routine hope and expectation, no more no less. Concerns if anything re unproven manager, a meddling Chief Exec and a middling track record player recruitment team.

25/1 for us to go down looks a decent bet - I'm going to put a tenner on it. If it can happen to Wigan, it can certainly happen to us. 

Yup...losing 2-1 to Non league Grimsby was as thrilling as I can remember!! Im not usually a doom and gloom fan but ffs..if Shotton and Keogh ever play side by side for Derby again then we are doomed. Surely..PLEASE..let Clement have noticed Shotton is really a league 2 player and get rid...

Other than that... im all happy although at the quoted 4.5 million Tom Ince better turn out rather good.

Said this in another thread. I don't want to dampen the buzz, after last season's end-of-season disaster I think the club has done a great job in lifting spirits among supporters.

But I'm cautious over our recruitment. I still feel, after spending about 10 million plus over the past 12 months, that our Playoff Final first-team squad is stronger than what we currently have.

I have a feeling that when I read the team-sheet for Bolton away next month, I'm going to be slightly underwhelmed.

Archived