Alan Hinton

RaphaRam

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The German sportswear company Hummel was looking to break into the UK market and signed up several professionals to wear its new white boots. Not that they were worn for sartorial elegance. Alan Ball, who debuted his white boots in the 1970 Charity Shield, used to paint an old pair of Adidas boots white, while Derby's Alan Hinton risked Brian Clough's wrath for the money.

"The background to me wearing them was simple. A company called Hummel approached me and offered me a grand," Hinton told the Star in 2011. "That was a fair bit of money back then. I thought Cloughie would crucify me, but he didn't for some reason."

image.jpg

image.jpg

i hadn't heard that story loweman. Thank you.

i do clearly recall the reaction to his boots.  In the days when boots came in one colour only, black with the odd bit of white marking, they stood out like a sore thumb. And with his blond curls and inability to tackle Alan opened himself up to all sorts of verbals. Luckily for us, and Hummel, he was so good with them on that after a while nobody bothered. I don't think I've seen a better crosser of a ball, especially on the run, nor anyone with a harder shot. 

I would say the tune is a bit like ging gang goolie.

I am too young to remember Alan Hinton but I remember going on the train to Tranmere before Igor Stimac's debut and some older lads singing "we've got Igor Igor Stimac at the back, at the back" It obviously didn't take off but it made an impression on me.

I would say the tune is a bit like ging gang goolie.

I am too young to remember Alan Hinton but I remember going on the train to Tranmere before Igor Stimac's debut and some older lads singing "we've got Igor Igor Stimac at the back, at the back" It obviously didn't take off but it made an impression on me.

You're right Kernow - it's ging gang but a bit slower and slightly adapted 

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssnzq6CgGZY

You're right Kernow - it's ging gang but a bit slower and slightly adapted 

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssnzq6CgGZY

I can't hear it (deaf), but the Gladys song was also used for Archie Gemmill, and yes, it was 'Ging Gang Goolie', which was recorded by The Scaffold (of Lily The Pink fame) back in about 1970.

we've got alan, alan hinton on the wing, on the wing

we've got alan, alan hinton on the wing, on the wing

alan

alan hinton

alan hinton on the wing

alan

alan hinton

alan hinton on the wing

and probably others, but that's the one I remember singing

Alan, Alan Hinton ooh! ooh! (pumps fist in the air)

I can't hear it (deaf), but the Gladys song was also used for Archie Gemmill, and yes, it was 'Ging Gang Goolie', which was recorded by The Scaffold (of Lily The Pink fame) back in about 1970.

Just for you Eddie

1969 apparently.  

If there's one Derby player I regret not being able to see play in the flesh, it's this man.

only saw him a few times.

awesome. but that was on pitch that alternated between a morass and a beach., nowadays the great playing surfaces are something of a leveller so a lot of alans attributes of dealing with adversity have gone away.

Archived