Five Crucial Home Games, all six pointers

Rampage

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought the term "six-pointer" came about because a victory was not only worth 3 points to the winners, but also deprived a rival of 3 points, so was almost worth six points.

I could be wrong though. It's happened before.

How do you know who willl be up there, bet most people on here thought Wigan would be and not Brentford.

This is where we discuss anything Derby County. Articles, opinions and analysis on tactics, players, off the field issues and oranges.

Speculation, opinion and points of interest are the name of the game. My speculation that these teams are the most likely to be promotion contenters that we have to play before we have Hull away. if Hull had been at home then I would have included them. it is not a season long list, it is the sequence of stronger teams that we face before we play one of the bookies favourites away. The bookies get it wrong sometimes but they take a lot of money from speculators.All these five times are up their for promotion contenders with the bookies.

This is where we discuss anything Derby County. Articles, opinions and analysis on tactics, players, off the field issues and oranges.

Speculation, opinion and points of interest are the name of the game. My speculation that these teams are the most likely to be promotion contenters that we have to play before we have Hull away. if Hull had been at home then I would have included them. it is not a season long list, it is the sequence of stronger teams that we face before we play one of the bookies favourites away. The bookies get it wrong sometimes but they take a lot of money from speculators.All these five times are up their for promotion contenders with the bookies.

At the end of the day, you go into game set-up to win. If you win all your games, you win the league. While I agree a "six pointer" by sheer definition can be played at any time of the season as long as it's against rivals, it's only when it's at important times against teams right in there with us that the real meaning behind "six pointer" comes into play (the pressure on the players) so while I don't deny your right to speculate on who the 6 pointers will be against and when, I don't think there's a whole lot of point in it at this time.

Sky Bet Championship Promotion 15/16 - Promotion by top 2

Hull 9/4 (Away)

------------

Derby 5/2

Middlesbrough 11/4

Burnley 7/2

Brentford 4/1

Q.P.R. 9/2

Wolves 9/2

--------------

Ipswich 6/1

Bristol City 6/1

Nottingham Forest 13/2

Blackburn 8/1

Sheffield Wednesday 8/1

Brighton 8/1

Fulham 8/1

Cardiff 8/1

Leeds 10/1

------------ Anyone care to spot the dark horses out of the top 16 bookies favourites or the other 8 teams (not listed)?

We play five of the top six bookies' favourites at home before we play Huill away.

What were the odds on Bournemouth going up in the top 2, Ipswich and Brentford finishing in the play offs last summer?

Or Burnley going up the season before and Derby making the play off final?

We need to have good away form and we'll be fine. With the players we have we can afford to play on the counter away from home which will suit us.

I'm also confident as for the 1st time since Idakez we can actually score from free kicks and have decent corners! Praise the lord will be worth a few points this season!

What were the odds on Bournemouth going up in the top 2, Ipswich and Brentford finishing in the play offs last summer?

Or Burnley going up the season before and Derby making the play off final?

in fact "the72.co.uk" said Fulham, Wigan, Derby to get promoted was the best treble bet out there :lol:

Bournemouth were 5/2 to finish top 6 last season but I don't know their outright odds.

I might be way off the mark but I really can't see Brentford being anywhere near they level they were last season.

I bet their league 1 opponents were saying the same two years ago, after they just missed out on promotion and lost their manager, Rosler,  to Wigan! 

Or Derby winning two out of the last thirteen games.i said it last season and i say it again. Get out of the two Cups and concentrate on the League. The two Cups are fine for U21s and fringe players.

Worst post of the week so far goes to! 

"Concentrate on the league" is the reason given by people who flop out of the cup after it's happened. There is no real benefit to it, no statistical evidence that someone in a cup has more chance of under-performing in the league, in fact more arguments can be made for the opposite. 

Why leave the cups? Might not be much in the grand scheme of things, but cup runs are good money spinners.

Especially if, like last season, we get a fair few home draws, and a big team for the TV cameras.

If the players ran out of steam last season and I believe that they did as a contributory factor, we would have had more in the tank than we had. less games mean less injuries, all things being equal. One remit of the new fitness coach was to keep injuries down to minimum.Promotion focus is what we need.

I didn't agree with our team selection against Reading in the cup at all. I get the importance of resting players and trying out fringe players - but come on, it's the quarter final of the cup and it's the wrong point of the season to start going into games without the intention of winning (or without the full intention of winning).

This is one area where I'd be disappointed if Clement wasn't significantly better than Mac or Nigel. He's been at three big clubs who take their domestic cups very seriously, as well as European competition. He should know a thing or two about battling on two or three fronts.

Archived