The Ashes

Ovis aries

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see how the winter tour goes and if he has managed to turn it back round, personally I am not convinced at this point in time.

Well, Andrew Strauss is rated as England's fourth most successful captain of all time, and his side got beaten 3-0 by Pakistan in the UAE last time around.

Well, Andrew Strauss is rated as England's fourth most successful captain of all time, and his side got beaten 3-0 by Pakistan in the UAE last time around.

Point well made, I just have a gut feeling that Cook isn't the right guy, is it rational, nope it ain't just can't shake it.

Point well made, I just have a gut feeling that Cook isn't the right guy, is it rational, nope it ain't just can't shake it.

At the moment, there is only one long-term alternative to Cook - and I think it's unfair to saddle Root with the captaincy just yet. Another couple of years, perhaps, but for now, I'm happy for him to be England's batting talisman.

At the moment, there is only one long-term alternative to Cook - and I think it's unfair to saddle Root with the captaincy just yet. Another couple of years, perhaps, but for now, I'm happy for him to be England's batting talisman.

yep agree. Root's one for the future

In an ideal world Cook would lead us until the Ashes in Oz, exorcise some demons by beating them and then pass the reins on to Root.

Looks like Pat Cummins is back for Australia, not a bad match to give him a go either. Having only 8 First Class matches to his name though, and a poor injury record, it will be interesting to see how he does. Hazlewood is being rested it seems, though it's a bit unclear what's happened. My suspicion would be though that the selectors desperately want to give Cummins a go in this dead rubber. 

England have won the toss again, Australia to bat first again. 

Edit: Actually, it seems Siddle is in, not Cummins. Very interesting. Let's see how he does. Might be one of his last for Australia if he can't find something here. 

Looks like Pat Cummins is back for Australia, not a bad match to give him a go either. Having only 8 First Class matches to his name though, and a poor injury record, it will be interesting to see how he does. Hazlewood is being rested it seems, though it's a bit unclear what's happened. My suspicion would be though that the selectors desperately want to give Cummins a go in this dead rubber. 

England have won the toss again, Australia to bat first again. 

Nope.

Siddle included though - looks like a sticking plaster to close a gaping wound.

Nope.

Siddle included though - looks like a sticking plaster to close a gaping wound.

Yeah, had since edited after seeing the toss. Had been told earlier in the day it'd be Cummins, with Siddle ruled out. 

Might be Siddle's kind of conditions, he has more to prove than anyone else in the squad though. Could well be his last Test too if he doesn't show something special, with Hazlewood, Pattinson, Cummins and co all likely ahead of him in the coming summer. 

England lost 8 for 62 since Cook went

As I said a few pages back, ignore the batting averages, Cook has done a magnificent job this season, much as Rogers has done for Australia. Tough conditions, and he's done well against the new ball. 

Marsh is bowling well, but an awful no ball there. The umpire should have called that one surely. Australia need to work on that. 

In any case, Marsh v Stokes is actually an interesting question. Pretty much the same age, similar first class records. Marsh is probably the better bowler, but Stokes has looked the goods with the ball this series. That could be one of the keys to the next Ashes series. 

Well, with the series coming to an end, what do people reckon of a "best XI" from the series? 

I'd say something like:

1. Chris Rogers (480 runs @ 60.0, 1 century)

2. David Warner (418 runs @ 46.4)

3. Steven Smith (508 runs @ 56.4, 2 centuries)

4. Joe Root (460 runs @ 57.5, 2 centuries)

5. Ben Stokes (208 runs @ 28.7 and 11 wickets @ 33.4)

6. Moeen Ali (258 runs @ 36.9 and 12 wickets @ 45.5)

7. Peter Nevill (143 runs @ 23.8)

8. Stuart Broad (21 wickets @ 21.9)

9. Steven Finn (12 wickets @ 22.5)

10. Jimmy Anderson (10 wickets @ 27.5)

11. Nathan Lyon (14 wickets @ 30.0)

The hard part is 5 and 6 in the batting lineup, as nobody (apart from Root, who's in at 4 there) has really stood up for either side. Stokes did alright, and Ali is a good batsmen, so it just about fits. 

Archived