The Ashes

Ovis aries

This is where I disagree (and with Mikey). Hawkeye clearly demonstrated that the ball would go on to hit the stumps, therefore the umpire, in giving it out, was absolutely spot on. If the umpire had given it not out, then it would have been unlucky.

Now there's a surprise :)

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England looking very good on this performance so far. Aggressive with the bat and ball in a way I've not seen them in a long time. 

If they can get the lead to 300+, I'd be honestly stunned if Australia could chase that on this pitch from day 4. Will be an very interesting session or two now. 

Johnson gets Bell for 60.

To tell the truth, I thought that Johnson bowled very well between lunch and tea - so many times he beat the bat so I think he deserved that.

245-8

Extremely poor last half hour. Australia should have been batted out of this game. Instead they'll be in with a chance.

England have one eye on the weather - Sunday could be a complete washout so they have continued to play aggressively. I don't give Australia a prayer of making 370 or more to win.

England have one eye on the weather - Sunday could be a complete washout so they have continued to play aggressively. I don't give Australia a prayer of making 370 or more to win.

Hope not.

If they end up losing this by a couple of wickets they'll be kicking themselves.

Hope not.

If they end up losing this by a couple of wickets they'll be kicking themselves.

How many is enough to leave you safe in the last innings?

This is the 2165th test match to be played - and even if England don't make another run, it would be the 5th highest total to win a match of all time.

How many is enough to leave you safe in the last innings?

This is the 2165th test match to be played - and even if England don't make another run, it would be the 5th highest total to win a match of all time.

I'll grant you the odds are in our favour. 400 would be nice. Anything upwards of 400 and that would have a psychological impact on both sides I'd think.

I'll grant you the odds are in our favour. 400 would be nice. Anything upwards of 400 and that would have a psychological impact on both sides I'd think.

If a bookie offered me 100-1 against an Aussie victory, I'd consider the odds to be a bit mean (unless they were playing Pakistan, of course - then me and half of Asia would lump on it. I am loving this positive attitude - Wood goes to 32 in 16 balls. Top stuff.

I should get down the bookies eddie, they're 9/4 so you might be inclined to lump on England.

I'm a bit surprised how short they are too to be honest, this pitch isn't a minefield but 400+ now seems incredibly unlikely.

I should get down the bookies eddie, they're 9/4 so you might be inclined to lump on England.

I'm a bit surprised how short they are too to be honest, this pitch isn't a minefield but 400+ now seems incredibly unlikely.

Australia won't be able to do it from here. I don't care how far down the tail goes, it's going to be that pitch on day four, and I can't see Australia getting 412 on it. That said, just about the only way it could happen would be something ridiculous like Watson scoring a century. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out though. 

Against any other team, I'd be massively confidence.

But this is Australia. They are fighters.

They will believe they can do it. If they are at lunch 100-0, they will know they've got a chance. This is exactly the kind of time when Watson will get his century, Clarke plays a captain's innings and a limping Starc refuses to get out at the death.

Great captaincy to bring Moeen Ali on for the last over of the morning (after his second over earlier had been savaged). Warner gone for 52, Australia 97-2.

Archived