Richard Keogh

Smiffy2491

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richard Keogh is valuable to our team ya know why? Because our defence is awful. Not making him a valuable player in general. But valuable to us. The way I see it he's somebody who could be replaced within minutes with the resources PC has. 

Thomas Kalas for example... I know he's back off to Boro but with the resources PC has with the Chelsea academy/staff he could be snapped up so quick. Shackell/Kalas would out match any combination we could currently make and outmatch any defence in the league.

Thomas Kalas for example... I know he's back off to Boro but with the resources PC has with the Chelsea academy/staff he could be snapped up so quick. Shackell/Kalas would out match any combination we could currently make and outmatch any defence in the league.

Karanka was Mourinho's assistant, his connection to the Chelsea senior squad (which is what Kalas is a part of I think even if he doesn't play) far outweighs Clement's. 

Karanka was Mourinho's assistant, his connection to the Chelsea senior squad (which is what Kalas is a part of I think even if he doesn't play) far outweighs Clement's. 

it was just an example.. I know Kalas is off to Boro. Point I'm trying to make is Clement can draw that type of caliber. Keogh in my eyes is average.. He just stands out because the defence is so bad. 

Its like going out with your mates and meeting 3 birds.. 2 of them are 5/10's and the other is sayyyy 7/10 she's gonna look like Beyoncé because the standards around her are low. But put that 7/10 with 2 birds that are say 9/10 - 10/10 she'll look like Jake Grealish on a night out on holiday. 

it was just an example.. I know Kalas is off to Boro. Point I'm trying to make is Clement can draw that type of caliber. Keogh in my eyes is average.. He just stands out because the defence is so bad. 

Its like going out with your mates and meeting 3 birds.. 2 of them are 5/10's and the other is a sayyyy 7/10 she's gonna look like Beyoncé because the standards around her is low. But put that 7/10 with 2 birds that are say 9/10 - 10/10 she'll looks like Jake Grealish on a night out on holiday. 

I disagree that Keogh is average. 

I don't think he's great, but statistically he's a very good defender for the division. 

Was he better than Kalas? Hard to say, Kalas only played 17 games. You could cherry pick Keoghs 17 best, worst or average. But we can't know that over a whole season Kalas will make less mistakes than someone who is as experienced as Keogh.

I think it's safe to surmise that Keogh is going to have better Center back partners this season than last, so it's also fairly safe to assume he's going to make less mistakes due to less time covering for them.

I know Kalas was just an example, but any young defender that a team is willing to loan out has the same problem, inexperience.

I disagree that Keogh is average. 

I don't think he's great, but statistically he's a very good defender for the division. 

Was he better than Kalas? Hard to say, Kalas only played 17 games. You could cherry pick Keoghs 17 best, worst or average. But we can't know that over a whole season Kalas will make less mistakes than someone who is as experienced as Keogh.

I think it's safe to surmise that Keogh is going to have better Center back partners this season than last, so it's also fairly safe to assume he's going to make less mistakes due to less time covering for them.

I know Kalas was just an example, but any young defender that a team is willing to loan out has the same problem, inexperience.

Everyone has their own opinion of Keogh and everyone's entitled to that. I just feel like as a captain he's not much of a leader. He doesn't always set the standard. When he misplaces passes and does sloppy runs because he's under pressure.. I feel like he made Grants job harder than it should at times.

Everyone has their own opinion of Keogh and everyone's entitled to that. I just feel like as a captain he's not much of a leader. He doesn't always set the standard. When he misplaces passes and does sloppy runs because he's under pressure.. I feel like he made Grants job harder than it should at times.

For sure,

I wouldn't be shocked if we bought Shackell and Keogh lost his place.

From the pre-season vids Albentosa seems to be chatting to people and be generally more settled than last season. With a head coach who speaks fairly good spanish I can see him playing at his level this season, which could be very high (could not be, of course). But he is slow, so I guess it would be risky to play him and Shacks together.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to support my team, warts and all.

Keogh in my eyes is average.. He just stands out because the defence is so bad. 

Its like going out with your mates and meeting 3 birds.. 2 of them are 5/10's and the other is sayyyy 7/10 she's gonna look like Beyoncé because the standards around her are low.

My guess is that you have pulled a few Andy Todd's in your time.

I happen to agree with you on leadership mate, but do not believe that alone makes RK a poor player and worth all the rubbish that gets spouted on here at times.

If Clement could perhaps pitch the vice-captaincy to him in order that he can concentrate on just his own game and maybe, just maybe coach the b****y defence then both Richard and DCFC will be fine.

imho of course

Steve McClaren: “I thought Richard was excellent again in the Cardiff game,” McClaren added. “He is valuable to us on and off the field as our leader.”

Nigel Clough: "Despite Coventry's relegation last season, he was a commanding presence at the heart of their defence and he has both very good leadership qualities and the right sort of attitude to fit into our squad."

Cyrus Christie: “He is a fantastic player and a good leader."

Steve McClaren: “I thought Richard was excellent again in the Cardiff game,” McClaren added. “He is valuable to us on and off the field as our leader.”

Nigel Clough: "Despite Coventry's relegation last season, he was a commanding presence at the heart of their defence and he has both very good leadership qualities and the right sort of attitude to fit into our squad."

Cyrus Christie: “He is a fantastic player and a good leader."

With that being said do you think that RK sets the standard for our defence? 

I don't know about you, but I prefer to support my team, warts and all.

I do support our team. I'm not one of those lads at the matches that scream abuse to Keogh and other players because I do feel that's unfair.. But surely it's not a crime to want more from the defence? The defence that Keogh leads... With the strike force we have and the amount of goals we score we should never be losing matches. 

I just feel like as a captain he's not much of a leader.

With that being said do you think that RK sets the standard for our defence? 

My post was about the above, find it strange so many people say he's not a leader yet McClaren, Clough and even O'Neill made him captain for Ireland at the start of last season. 

I don't really know what all the players make of him as a leader but Christie the player to his right thinks he's a good leader, yet you're sat in the stand and saying he isn't. Not sure who to believe?

I do support our team. I'm not one of those lads at the matches that scream abuse to Keogh and other players because I do feel that's unfair.. But surely it's not a crime to want more from the defence? The defence that Keogh leads... With the strike force we have and the amount of goals we score we should never be losing matches. 

How much is defending down to the defence?

Never is a huge exaggeration.

You're forgetting that the first half of the year Keogh led the defense to a record number of clean sheets. The players around Keogh are young, and their quality is a direct reflection of their confidence. That went and the whole place went to pot. It isn't just Keogh's job to try and rebuild that confidence (although it is partly) that is where the staff failed us.

I used to think that when we had Hector, Lee, George, Rioch….

Archived