That Centre-Back Solution

Nuwtfly

One of the questions that I can't seem to stop wondering is "Who is going to be our CB pairing for the 15/16 season?". Personally, I think this pairing is the most important part of any back four and if we're going to get promoted next season we need to get it right this year (especially considering how wrong we seemed to keep getting it last year). We've got a number of good options to choose from:

Keogh: Probably our most consistent defender last season. Good on the ball, confident going forward and a decent bit of pace, as well as being our current Captain.

Buxton: Wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 110% every single time he puts on the shirt. A respected member of the squad and a proper Ram, but it his ability there to be part of a title-winning back four?

Pearce: Plenty of expierence, decent header of the ball and a solid defender. Not the quickest but a proven leader. Unlikely that we would bring in a player unless they were going to play some kind of role.

Albentosa: A big unit who was hugely respected in La Liga after putting in a number of solid performances for an over-achieving Eibar. Seems to be struggling with the language barrier but there's no questioning there's a very good defender in there.

Rawson: Still very young but became somewhat of a fan favourite during his time at Rotherham. Heaps of potential but is it a bit too soon to become a regular in a title-pushing team?

And finally, Jason Shackell (?): Arguably the best centre-back in the championship. Surely if the return of our former captain is going to happen, then he would be the the heart of our defence. Heaps of ability, strong and a proper leader.

So there's your options. Who would you go for and why?

Personally, I'd give Albentosa a go alongside Shackell.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go with Keogh and whoever had the best pre season out of Buxton and Pearce.

I'm not particularly bothered about having Shackell back. With Shotton and Hanson we already have 7 centre backs in the squad.

I can see Keogh leaving, he's had it pretty rough with fans since the play off final, what with his missus and the Twitter rubbish as well. I would fancy a move if I was him, will find it hard to get back onside with the fans when every goal conceded is credited to him.

I can see Keogh leaving, he's had it pretty rough with fans since the play off final, what with his missus and the Twitter rubbish as well. I would fancy a move if I was him, will find it hard to get back onside with the fans when every goal conceded is credited to him.

He should go for his sake. Fans abused him every games which is horrible to hear.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. Some Derby fans have made their minds up and I can't see him ever winning them back even if he played out his skin every week. It was laughable how he seemed to be to solely to blame for the ineptitude of the players around him. In my opinion he owes the fans nothing, and if I were him I'd move clubs given the abuse he and his wife got. Real shame. 

He should go for his sake. Fans abused him every games which is horrible to hear.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. Some Derby fans have made their minds up and I can't see him ever winning them back even if he played out his skin every week. It was laughable how he seemed to be to solely to blame for the ineptitude of the players around him. In my opinion he owes the fans nothing, and if I were him I'd move clubs given the abuse he and his wife got. Real shame. 

I know every club has them, but some of our fans are embarrassing. I didn't know they were giving his missus grief too. For me, Keogh was a man on a mission to get us promoted last season, and really drove the team on, certainly for the first 3/4 before things fell apart. He's clearly a good Championship defender. The very best centre halves have much better anticipation and by reading the game, don't make the desperate challenges we often see Keogh attempt (and normally succeed with).

After making the Championship team of the year, I'm sure he'd be in demand. I, too, understand if he goes and wish him well. Stay and he'll always be a scapegoat for some "fans".

I know every club has them, but some of our fans are embarrassing. I didn't know they were giving his missus grief too. For me, Keogh was a man on a mission to get us promoted last season, and really drove the team on, certainly for the first 3/4 before things fell apart. He's clearly a good Championship defender. The very best centre halves have much better anticipation and by reading the game, don't make the desperate challenges we often see Keogh attempt (and normally succeed with).

After making the Championship team of the year, I'm sure he'd be in demand. I, too, understand if he goes and wish him well. Stay and he'll always be a scapegoat for some "fans".

I've seen the tweets of our fans gave her so much grief and it was pathetic thing ever. You're right some of our fans are embarrassing.

I feel so bad for Keogh though, the amount of stick he gets is unbelievable. The first goal in Reading game which was 90% Will Hughes fault still lead to Keogh getting all the blame, the people who sit behind me constantly criticise him calling him "A bambi on ice", it is really embarrassing. 

He had to cope with useless right backs and a different CB next to him every week and still managed to perform well, but if we concede one goal and Keogh has tiny amount to do with it then I can assure you he will get all the blame. 

I feel so bad for Keogh though, the amount of stick he gets is unbelievable. The first goal in Reading game which was 90% Will Hughes fault still lead to Keogh getting all the blame, the people who sit behind me constantly criticise him calling him "A bambi on ice", it is really embarrassing. 

He had to cope with useless right backs and a different CB next to him every week and still managed to perform well, but if we concede one goal and Keogh has tiny amount to do with it then I can assure you he will get all the blame. 

Those that critise in my opinion are plain wrong. I hope he stays as he would be first on my list of centre backs. Currently it's Keogh and Pearce for me all day long. I'll go with PC though. It will be interesting if they are all still here. Sad inditement of Derby fans if a good payer at this level is hounded out. 

One of the questions that I can't seem to stop wondering is "Who is going to be our CB pairing for the 15/16 season?". Personally, I think this pairing is the most important part of any back four and if we're going to get promoted next season we need to get it right this year (especially considering how wrong we seemed to keep getting it last year). We've got a number of good options to choose from:

Keogh: Probably our most consistent defender last season. Good on the ball, confident going forward and a decent bit of pace, as well as being our current Captain.

Buxton: Wears his heart on his sleeve and gives 110% every single time he puts on the shirt. A respected member of the squad and a proper Ram, but it his ability there to be part of a title-winning back four?

Pearce: Plenty of expierence, decent header of the ball and a solid defender. Not the quickest but a proven leader. Unlikely that we would bring in a player unless they were going to play some kind of role.

Albentosa: A big unit who was hugely respected in La Liga after putting in a number of solid performances for an over-achieving Eibar. Seems to be struggling with the language barrier but there's no questioning there's a very good defender in there.

Rawson: Still very young but became somewhat of a fan favourite during his time at Rotherham. Heaps of potential but is it a bit too soon to become a regular in a title-pushing team?

And finally, Jason Shackell (?): Arguably the best centre-back in the championship. Surely if the return of our former captain is going to happen, then he would be the the heart of our defence. Heaps of ability, strong and a proper leader.

So there's your options. Who would you go for and why?

Personally, I'd give Albentosa a go alongside Shackell.

Spot on.

There were so many factors counting against Albentosa last season, that it's not fair to judge him based on such a small sample of games. He was so highly rated in La Liga that he could be a real asset for us and I feel he has the potential to be a key player for us if he can replicate his form he showed at Eibar.

Most Derby fans will be familiar with Shackell and his abilities. A no-nonsense centre half who is always dependable. A fantastic acquisition if we sign him and surely will slot straight into the left side of the centre back pairing.

With Buxton, Pearce, Keogh and Rawson as back-up, we'll have 6 very capable centre backs fighting for 2 spots. That sort of competition will force the players to up their game for the good of the team.

However, this all hinges on Shackell signing. I haven't seen enough of Pearce to confidently say he's good enough, however, he has got promoted before and therefore would be my choice to start if Shackell doesn't sign.

I've seen the tweets of our fans gave her so much grief and it was pathetic thing ever. You're right some of our fans are embarrassing.

it says more about them as people than it does anything about being a Derby fan. To actually go out of your way to abuse a player is one thing, but to abuse their wife or relative is just something that shows they obviously have a quite vile personality, or they are probably just really insecure. 

The one thing I remember people telling me when I was playing from schoolboy to seniors was as a defender "always stay on your feet" and I'm sorry to say that is one thing Richard Keogh doesn't do. Examples; 1 v Forest he allowed Osborne to run at him until he was shooting and then launched himself off the ground to block when had he stood up he would have blocked the shot; 2 v Wolves same for their first goal as player shoots he launches at the player when just making a standing still would have blocked the shot; 3 v Reading 1st goal he did the hard part in getting back alongside the striker who was heading towards goal at an angle that Grantbshould have saved; instead of holding the striker up again he launched himself at the striker making his job easy and allowing him to cut inside and have more of the goal to shoot at. These are just a few examples where he is found wanting and at the level we want to go to he needs to stand up more and not commit himself.

I'd go keogh and shackell if he joined or keogh and pearce. 

Before Keogh's play off final blunder I don't remember him getting that much criticism, or at least not from as many people. Like people have said above, unless he literally scores the goal that puts us up, some people just won't see past it. He probably should move on and I think he will if shackell joins even though I want him to partner shackell. 

I am utterly astounded that people can advocate starting Albentosa with a straight face. Obviously he hasn't had time to prove himself, but he has to earn his position like anyone else. I always ask the same question to Albentosa ideologues and am yet to receive a satisfactory response, what have you seen from him to justify starting him ahead of Buxton and Keogh?

From what I saw last season;

- His passing is very poor. Certainly worse than Buxton's.

- He does not demonstrate the same level of confidence as Keogh and Buxton.

- He is very slow, at least as slow as Buxton.

- He's decent in the air. Better than Keogh, possibly better than Buxton.

I hope that you're all right and the iffy start to his Derby career can be put down to the team being in free fall and him adjusting to a new league and culture, but how can you possibly justify putting him ahead of our established centre backs based on what we've seen so far?

Archived