George Thorne key to our plans?

dcfcreece1601

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key this time will be not rushing him back. Last time, he came back maybe out of necessity because we were desperate for a CDM but his class on the pitch for the brief period before he had to go off was there for all to see, even if he was a bit rusty. 

No I'm not relying on him. A player could be as good as Messi but there is no point in relying on him if he is always injured. The same applies to Thorne. We made the mistake last season of waiting for him to come back. We need to build a team as if he wasn't here and any games that he does play is a bonus. As a result I would like to see us sign 2 more defensive midfielders and giving Eustace a new contract so we won't be in a position like we were last season where we had to rely on Hanson and playing Hughes in his natural position.

No I'm not relying on him. A player could be as good as Messi but there is no point in relying on him if he is always injured. The same applies to Thorne. We made the mistake last season of waiting for him to come back. We need to build a team as if he wasn't here and any games that he does play is a bonus. As a result I would like to see us sign 2 more defensive midfielders and giving Eustace a new contract so we won't be in a position like we were last season where we had to rely on Hanson and playing Hughes in his natural position.

​So you want 4 DM's for potentially one position?. We'd all like to think that last season's injury blight of that position couldn't hit again but surely 3 back-ups is a bit much

I'll trust the club to know what potential Thorne has to be fit this time round based on pre-season tests and training and make the right decisions accordingly.

Does any one think he's going to play a good number of games in the upcoming season? Or do you think he will be blighted with injuries? 

Injury prone player. 

Prepare for the worst and if he does play 30-40 games what a bonus that is. 

If Clement plays the same formation we have to get a CDM in. The problem is though should we go after a really good CDM and expect Thorne to get injured or get someone not as good as cover and hope he stays injury free. 

I guess it does depend on the budget spent elsewhere first because wingers are our no 1 priority at the moment and will likely cost a fair bit. 

​So you want 4 DM's for potentially one position?. We'd all like to think that last season's injury blight of that position couldn't hit again but surely 3 back-ups is a bit much

I'll trust the club to know what potential Thorne has to be fit this time round based on pre-season tests and training and make the right decisions accordingly.

​Who says we are going to play the same formation? Under teams that Clement has assisted the teams have played 4-2-3-1 while in possession and moving to a 4-4-2 when not having it hence meaning that we will need more backup in those areas.

​Who says we are going to play the same formation? Under teams that Clement has assisted the teams have played 4-2-3-1 while in possession and moving to a 4-4-2 when not having it hence meaning that we will need more backup in those areas.

​Fair enough but you didn't say that before so I assumed you were basing on our "normal" line up.

Injury prone player. 

Prepare for the worst and if he does play 30-40 games what a bonus that is. 

If Clement plays the same formation we have to get a CDM in. The problem is though should we go after a really good CDM and expect Thorne to get injured or get someone not as good as cover and hope he stays injury free. 

I guess it does depend on the budget spent elsewhere first because wingers are our no 1 priority at the moment and will likely cost a fair bit. 

I agree with you on this , with a "possible" 6 million on once though and possibly 2/3 on weimann I'm struggling to feel comfortable with our current defensive issue because surely if we spend 9 million between those two we wouldn't bring In a CDM permanently?

I don't see what all the fuss is about, he had a new ACL, which takes 6-9 months to recover from, he returned and was not match fit.

When athletes return from an ACL, the likelihood of another injury occurring when returning is extremely high, as high as 75% of players suffer this (seen a figure similar to this published), last season was always a right off for the lad.

I'm confident he will be in a much stronger position after pre season, he now has two new ACLs which are stronger than his naturally given ones, he will be as good as a new signing.......fingers crossed.

Archived