Derby rated second best away day experience

Jordy

Derby's not a place many of us have been to for an away day but turns out it's a pretty good one, undoubtedly good news for the club and matchday atmospheres.

Derby County has been ranked second in the Sky Bet Championship for “away fan experience”, according to a survey of travelling fans.

Thousands of supporters completed the Football Supporters’ Federation’s (FSF) Away Fans Survey, rating their away day out of 10.

Hull City’s score of 7.79 was the best in the top-flight, although it was bettered by two Championship sides – with Wigan Athletic scoring 7.83 and Derby 7.82.

The average travelling away fan rated their Championship experience at 6.56, higher than the Premier League average of 6.03. This compares to 2013-14’s national average of 6.44 and a Premier League average of 6.56.

Derby County’s Chief Operating Officer John Vicars said: “We’re extremely pleased to have finished so high in the standings in the away fan experience survey.

“We pride ourselves in providing a positive matchday experience for not just Derby County supporters, but the thousands of away supporters that visit us throughout the season.”

He added: “We achieved the Family Excellence Award from the Football League recently and it is pleasing that Derby County is viewed in a positive light.”

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/rams-rank-high-in-away-fan-experience-survey-2483849.aspx

Full list combining championship and premier league (which are on average, lower) found here

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/wigan-athletictop-table-for-the-best-away-day

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've obviously improved since the previous year when we were very 'mid-table'..

The ones that are up there really do go out of their way to look after away fans - I thought that the Cardiff stewards were second-to-none this season, friendly and really helpful. Special mention too to Huddersfield, Wigan, Blackburn (I thought their 'fans park' was an excellent idea), Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton and Fulham.

My two personal black marks go to Dirty Leeds, where the only place you can get a beer outside the ground is in a pokey little bar with about three lightbulbs working, and Blackpool where if we weren't careful doing 'the Bounce' the whole stand would have come down (it is now - it's been demolished apparently). 

My 'dichotomy award' goes to Brentford. A fantastic pre-match experience with The Griffin selling a great pint of Fullers ESB and the barbecue in the back doing one of the finest smoky beef burgers I've ever tasted (almost as good as the wonderful ones at Matlock last year) but oh, the seats. The lacerations in my kneecaps from the seats in front still haven't healed.

We've obviously improved since the previous year when we were very 'mid-table'..

The ones that are up there really do go out of their way to look after away fans - I thought that the Cardiff stewards were second-to-none this season, friendly and really helpful. Special mention too to Huddersfield, Wigan, Blackburn (I thought their 'fans park' was an excellent idea), Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton and Fulham.

My two personal black marks go to Dirty Leeds, where the only place you can get a beer outside the ground is in a pokey little bar with about three lightbulbs working, and Blackpool where if we weren't careful doing 'the Bounce' the whole stand would have come down (it is now - it's been demolished apparently). 

My 'dichotomy award' goes to Brentford. A fantastic pre-match experience with The Griffin selling a great pint of Fullers ESB and the barbecue in the back doing one of the finest smoky beef burgers I've ever tasted (almost as good as the wonderful ones at Matlock last year) but oh, the seats. The lacerations in my kneecaps from the seats in front still haven't healed.

You should have been downstairs, the simple joy of standing where you want was a highlight! Definitely my favourite away day, Millwall was unexpectedly pleasant too.

Cardiff was also great, very nice touch to wear the Derby kit behind the bars, best stewards I'd come across. 

You should have been downstairs, the simple joy of standing where you want was a highlight! Definitely my favourite away day, Millwall was unexpectedly pleasant too.

Cardiff was also great, very nice touch to wear the Derby kit behind the bars, best stewards I'd come across. 

​Yes, the Memsahib has been informed in no uncertain terms that we are definitely going on the terrace (if it's still there) next year.

Totally agree about Cardiff and I also liked Millwall once we got through into the compound. The two fixtures where I have felt intimidated were Leeds and Norwich - both due to over-zealous police and stewarding. 

Didn't like Fulham because I  was facing their stand not the pitch (and we were crap!)

Apart from that I really enjoy most of the awaydays. 

A few times i've taken away fans or neutrals to the iPro. They've absolutely loved it and have asked to come again to future matches when they're team is not playing.

The match itself plus a session in the city centre pubs has convinced them that Derbados is the place to be.

An away day trip to derby is bound to be good...it's totally non threatening, decent facilities etc and we quite often throw in 1 or even 3 points for them to. 

Personal favorite away trips, Milwall, always a great day out, plenty of places to refresh yourself etc (although we didn't get there until 1/2 time this season it was still great), Fulham, again, totally non threatening,it's got to be the most middle class football experience in the world.....and Wigan, decent pies...

shame two of them have gone down, but a day out at Hull is always great...

​I thought Brentford was good too although I went in the little white pub I think it's called the New Inn. Watford I though the parking was a ball ache. Huddersfield thank god it didn't piss it down because there is no shelter at the back. The one that surprised me was Cardiff. The pub I went in the people were nice and friendly and there was plenty of room in the away area. 

Charlton isn't very good for a night match. Although the more trips you do to London the better you find ways to get about.

​I thought Brentford was good too although I went in the little white pub I think it's called the New Inn. Watford I though the parking was a ball ache. Huddersfield thank god it didn't piss it down because there is no shelter at the back. The one that surprised me was Cardiff. The pub I went in the people were nice and friendly and there was plenty of room in the away area. 

Charlton isn't very good for a night match. Although the more trips you do to London the better you find ways to get about.

​We're Watford 'veterans' and always stop over at one of the local hotels if we are playing at Vicarage Road or anywhere in London. With the M1 being a horror show at the best of times, and me being somebody who absolutely hates to rush, it makes sense for us to make a weekend of it.

Archived