The 1884 Group

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sod that! I prefer the spontaneous stuff and would hate it if some pillock with a megaphone started to dictate what we had to sing and when. I'd be tempted to ram the megaphone where the sun doesn't shine and then you would only be able to hear his amplified farts. 

don't be miserable!

wait till you get a flag poke in yer eye olé olé olé oooolé !

don't be miserable!

wait till you get a flag poke in yer eye olé olé olé oooolé !

I'm not bothered about flags, balloons or scraves because i'm too busy winding up the away fans to concentrate 100% on the football :ph34r: 

But how the hell are they supposed to hear my insults and swear words if some prat is gobbing off through a megaphone?  

I'm not bothered about flags, balloons or scraves because i'm too busy winding up the away fans to concentrate 100% on the football :ph34r: 

But how the hell are they supposed to hear my insults and swear words if some prat is gobbing off through a megaphone?  

maybe before you grab the megaphone and shove it up his arris, you could ask the fat away fan if he's ever seen his penis?

brings a tear to my old eye everytime I hear that one.

maybe before you grab the megaphone and shove it up his arris, you could ask the fat away fan if he's ever seen his penis?

brings a tear to my old eye everytime I hear that one.

I'm far too imaginative for the old stuff, I'm more inventive and started stuff like "you're so fat you shop at jacamo" and took it further with "jacamo said no" And if Alanis Morissette saw me singing those songs, she would write a song about irony. 

I'm far too imaginative for the old stuff, I'm more inventive and started stuff like "you're so fat you shop at jacamo" and took it further with "jacamo said no" And if Alanis Morissette saw me singing those songs, she would write a song about irony. 

you heartless beast!

*sniff

We've hit the £2000 mark tonight, unbelievable stuff and very humbling.

we always hoped we would get support from people but the support shown has been mindblowing.

with Mel's contribution that's £4000 raised, we hoped to raise £5000 by Xmas.

we are going to meet as a group soon to come up with a strategy to use the new funds.

thanks for all the support so far on here and any donations made. This is just the start, plenty more to do though. Roll on August 15th.

Just my opinion... I Think there definitely needs to be some sort of coordination otherwise these suggestions will just slip through the cracks. Agreed? Which would be a shame because there are some cracking suggestions.

Maybe not a single body directing things however, i just cant see it working in England, presuming you mean a bloke on a microphone orchestrating everything. i can see why this was suggested as it is done all over Europe, you often see that associated with clubs which generate the best atmospheres.

I know 1884 don't want to give the impression to fans that they will be dictating what songs we sing and when we do etc because of the fan backlash fear, but sometimes you need to bite the bullet and potentially upset people for new songs to be taken on board in match days. No matter what you do there will be people criticizing. Saying all that, i don't think many would complain at all. 

(EXAMPLE) - SINCE I WAS YOUNG -  I don't believe this chant started organically from one bloke who thought if he sang this song in particular at home/away games it it would eventually catch on. COULD BE WRONG! but i highly doubt it.

It takes someone like Nick Webster, and his group of mates to force the issue. Get together, discuss potential new songs, learn the lyrics, and agree to start chanting them together every match day until the crowd takes the song board and it catches on. Which is what happened with SIW. The song has now become associated with our club, everyone knows the lyrics and it sounds fantastic on match days with the SS belting it out.

So in conclusion, I do think it needs to be choreographed in some way.

As mentioned before maybe New song ideas + lyrics could be printed on the back of flyers/posters, would be a start?

Could also include at the bottom somewhere the 1884 email so fans can add to the list? At least that way fans would be aware of what the lyrics are and they can get involved.

Perhaps the club could print a page in the match day programs? Think it would be a good idea for the club to spread the word about the 1884 group, what the plans are, potential new songs, potential future match day displays etc. Enough people read them so would get good exposure.

song words at the bottom of a flyer would be akin to church on a sunday am. Sentiments good though.

Defo agree that some level of direction is required otherwise its headless sheep. Every organisation in the world no matter how big or some requires a focal who directs.

In regards to 'choreography' and megaphones it is a big big big no as far as I'm concerned.

It's football fans singing songs to support their football club, not a dance troupe. It's one step away from meeting every Wednesday for 'practice'. :lol:

We've hit the £2000 mark tonight, unbelievable stuff and very humbling.

we always hoped we would get support from people but the support shown has been mindblowing.

with Mel's contribution that's £4000 raised, we hoped to raise £5000 by Xmas.

we are going to meet as a group soon to come up with a strategy to use the new funds.

thanks for all the support so far on here and any donations made. This is just the start, plenty more to do though. Roll on August 15th.

Well done 1884 group, look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour soon.

I'm so manly, if Alanis Morissette ever met me, she'd be happy to write songs about ironing.

song words at the bottom of a flyer would be akin to church on a sunday am. Sentiments good though.

Defo agree that some level of direction is required otherwise its headless sheep. Every organisation in the world no matter how big or some requires a focal who directs.

Take note 1884 ;)

Could have used the since I was young song lyrics as the background bold text with a low opacity instead of the big logo, wouldn't look like a song sheet then and subliminally putting the right words out there. 

Also is the podcast thing on the back of the leaflet? can't help but feel this was a missed opportunity for some local businesses to get on board with some advertising, more money in the kitty. Probably get 4 on the back, couple hundred each as they are going out to thousands. Bet theres a few business owners sat in the South Stand themselves 

Could have used the since I was young song lyrics as the background bold text with a low opacity instead of the big logo, wouldn't look like a song sheet then and subliminally putting the right words out there. 

Also is the podcast thing on the back of the leaflet? can't help but feel this was a missed opportunity for some local businesses to get on board with some advertising, more money in the kitty. Probably get 4 on the back, couple hundred each as they are going out to thousands. Bet theres a few business owners sat in the South Stand themselves 

yeah these were done before things really took off. May well in future look at advertising opportunities as we (hopefully) grow.

Archived