McClaren still head coach as it stands..

Disagree, we have had plenty more funds to spend this season, loaning the likes of mascarell,  ibe, bent, lingaard and ince where other clubs couldn't afford to (Bolton said this about ibe) which is also a reason why expectation are higher. 

The board agree with me anyway since he is going and i think we may be tipped for promotion again without the mac.

i'm not knocking the fact he did well in his first season but he's always been a one hit wonder hasn't he.

​Ibe and Mascarell were youth players who were not obviously on big wages so we barely paying that much. Bent did his job in scoring goals, it was the defence that let us down.

We are wasting time with sacking Mac, it wall cost us a lot of money through compensation and Clement will have to take a while to get to know what needs strengthening and his new players. Plus Clement is a huge risk, I think he would do well considering how highly rated he is, but he could also be a flop, plenty of good coaches have failed at managing. 

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think even youth players at real madrid and liverpool get a fair wack. I 100% read before we loaned ibe freedman wanted him at bolton but couldn't afford his wages.

Yeah clement is a risk but i think keeping mclaren is too, its better to change now then in november or whatever isn't it? so he can work with the players all summer and bring some in.

Us Derby fans on this forum seem split on mclaren but what looks for sure is mclaren is going so i suppose the debate should go more towards paul clement (if he is going to take over)

Look -  I think we should reserve judgment. Southampton had Adkins doing a great job. They got rid of him and got Pocchetino. There was a riot but they improved. When he went everyone said they would fail but Koeman did even better.

Neither of the last two had experience in England let alone in the Premiership, I am sure Clement is a capable man. He will have some innovative coaching methods and will have players on his wish list. We may also have to say goodbye to some favourites.

However, we have to get him signed up yet. Then we can concentrate on the business of making ludicrous suggestions for transfers.:ph34r:

​wherever hes been and done well the first season he's messed up the second, wolfsberg/fc twente etc

​You conveniently forget to mention his continued success at Middlesbrough and what has happened to them since he left. 

He also didn't do well in his first season at Wolfsburg, he got sacked in his first season. His second spell at Twente wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.

Basically, 'always a one season wonder' is a load of twaddle. 

​wherever hes been and done well the first season he's messed up the second, wolfsberg/fc twente etc

Finished 2nd first season at Twente, won it 2nd season, got to UEFA Cup final with Boro after winning league cup season before.

PistoldPete2

​Before Mac came we were finishing mid table and playing dire football. When he comes in we end up finishing 3rd with practically the same squad and narrowly missing out on promotion.

The next season we end up finishing 8th what was disappointing, but we were only expected to win promotion because of Mac. He was a victim of his own success. If his seasons were the other way round he would still be in charge. 

The summer before  we efinished 3rd we signed eustace, grant and martin on free transfers plus Johnny russell. Then Mac added decent loan signings and we had a team good enough to finish 3rd. But none of his permanent signings have been good enough. SomE players have not progressed or gone backwards. 

ok maybe the one season wonder is 'twaddle' but before Derby he failed at twente wolfsberg, Forest and England.

​And? That might have been a relevant criticism before McClaren took over but we've seen what he's capable of. There's a few things you can criticise McClaren for but 'he's failed at previous jobs' isn't a relevant one. 

Madness if we get rid of Mac, the reason we got Ibe and others was due to his coaching. We will be mid table next year as Mel the business will poke his nose and want his own person. Probably bring Clough back !! What twits we are 

Archived