Raheem Sterling

LesterRam

​I'll be amazed if Sterling signs a contract with another club where he's getting less than 100k/week. Also, where does he think he's going to go where he can win trophies and actually get in the team?

​It doesn't matter whether he gets more money elsewhere, as long as it's merely a consequence and not a motivation. I'm not really sure, perhaps Manchester City or Arsenal.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His chances of winning anything at Arsenal is only a marginal increase on Liverpool. He may be able to get in the City team if he can recapture his form from last year as their only stand out winger is Silva.

His chances of winning anything at Arsenal is only a marginal increase on Liverpool. He may be able to get in the City team if he can recapture his form from last year as their only stand out winger is Silva.

Don't forget Champions League football as well, his decision could very well have been different if Liverpool had finished in the top four. 

​I'll be amazed if Sterling signs a contract with another club where he's getting less than 100k/week. Also, where does he think he's going to go where he can win trophies and actually get in the team?

Where does he think he can go and win trophies or where do we think he can.

He clearly believes he can play for a better team and if he believes that then you can't really knock him for leaving.  

Same with Walcott threatening to leave when it's his contract. Where's he going to go? He's only going down. 

I think Sterling really believes he can do better. I think he believes he's good enough for Europe's elite. If that's the reason he wants to leave then I think it's a fair reason.

As has been said. He claims he won't stay no matter what money is offered. 

What exactly has Sterling and his agent done wrong here? They rejected the bid because they don't want to be at Liverpool anymore. The club are clearly putting pressure on the player and stories have already come out claiming he's a money-seeking so and so.

There is a simpler answer to it all. Sterling wants to move back to London, or even abroad. Liverpool can play him all they want, but he's not staying. That's not disloyal, that's just stating you want to move.

​Come on Bris.  If he was homesick and wanted to move back south he should just say so.  In his interview to state he wasn't a money grabber he had the chance to say it then, he didn't.  A few weeks later, he says it's because he wants to play in the champions league, which is fair enough, but again he should've stated that fact when he said he didn't want to sign a new contract.  Him & his agent have continually contradicted themselves and made themselves look anything but genuine.  If he wants to move back down south and play in the champions league his only realistic destinations are Chelsea & Arsenal, and on current form & ability he wouldn't get in either side's starting XI.  The more likely truth is that he's looked across the changing room and seen Glen Johnson on £120k a week and thought "That ain't on!", which in fairness it isn't but there's better ways of going about it.

Unfortunately this is another example of agents massaging young player's (already inflated) egos in order to milk 30% of their next signing on fee.  Stirling should look at the likes of Jack Rodwell & Scott Sinclair before jumping ship.

Ive got to admit I would do exactly the same in his situation.

He is not Liverpool born and bred so doesn't really warrant loyalty to the club

As a outsider I don't see Liverpool going in the right direction, Southampton look like they might overtake Liverpool

Rodgers doesn't seem a good people manager (unless you're his boyfriend Joe Allen)

Rodgers stated Sterling is the best young player in Europe, he is within his rights to demand to be paid like one

On the flipside though his agent seems like a right plonker...

Where does he think he can go and win trophies or where do we think he can.

He clearly believes he can play for a better team and if he believes that then you can't really knock him for leaving.  

Same with Walcott threatening to leave when it's his contract. Where's he going to go? He's only going down. 

I think Sterling really believes he can do better. I think he believes he's good enough for Europe's elite. If that's the reason he wants to leave then I think it's a fair reason.

As has been said. He claims he won't stay no matter what money is offered. 

​Perhaps he's seen the writing on the wall - the Jermaine Pennant career path. 

He needs the money now, because there'll be next to sod all in 4 years' time. Stoke City and Wigan beckon.

​But his agent said that no amount of money will make him stay, which suggests that money isn't the issue. If I was Sterling, I would ideally look to stay at Liverpool for another two years but if he wants to win immediately, that's his choice. 

I'll compare it to LeBron James leaving Cleveland for Miami. Loads of people had him down as a money grabber, but in reality, he was actually earning less money in Miami (marginally). He wanted to win, and it worked out pretty well for him.

​City, United, Arsenal or Chelsea must be rubbing their hands together at being able to get him for £10k a week then if money is not an issue.

​City, United, Arsenal or Chelsea must be rubbing their hands together at being able to get him for £10k a week then if money is not an issue.

He's not going to accept 10k if he's being offered 100k elsewhere. That's being sensible, not greedy. The high wages in football aren't his fault, and no one would turn them down.

As I've said, the important thing is what is his motivating factor. I don't think it's money.

Archived