McClaren could get new contract - Mirror

Steve McClaren reward for Newcastle snub set to be second new Derby contract in a year

Steve McClaren could be in line for ANOTHER new contract at Derby after snubbing Newcastle.

McClaren is staying at Championship County after rejecting the chance to take over Newcastle this week.

His refusal to bail out struggling Newcastle immediately for their final three games prompted Toon owner Mike Ashley to shelve plans to hire him this summer.

Former England manager McClaren has since held a series of meetings with Derby's top brass to ensure they mount another promotion bid after coming seventh, a year on from their playoff final defeat to QPR.

Despite only signing a new deal last summer with the US-owned club, fresh terms have also been mooted for McClaren - though he claims his priority is keeping stars such as Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick and Craig Bryson while strengthening elsewhere.

After missing out on a play-off spot by a point this season, McClaren reflected: “You turn that anger into energy.

“I’ve found a great determination from the board that we go again and mount another campaign aiming to achieve what we want to.

“The recruitment department upstairs providing the resources is going to be very important.

“We need to improve this squad in certain areas. Quality is what we want and if we get that we will be OK again. The best thing we did last summer was sign the players on long-term contracts, nobody leaves unless we want them to go.”

McClaren confirmed Premier League loanees Tom Ince and Jesse Lingard are set to return to Hull and Manchester United respectively.

Derby are in the market for striker Darren Bent after his successful loan from Aston Villa, but McClaren added: “Darren Bent is a free agent, after scoring the goals he has done, there will be quite a few clubs after him.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-mcclaren-reward-newcastle-snub-5654857

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Keep stars such as Craig Bryson'

Shoddy journalism.

I was hoping someone else rather than Bryson but there you go. 

Steve McClaren reward for Newcastle snub set to be second new Derby contract in a year

Steve McClaren could be in line for ANOTHER new contract at Derby after snubbing Newcastle.

McClaren is staying at Championship County after rejecting the chance to take over Newcastle this week.

His refusal to bail out struggling Newcastle immediately for their final three games prompted Toon owner Mike Ashley to shelve plans to hire him this summer.

Former England manager McClaren has since held a series of meetings with Derby's top brass to ensure they mount another promotion bid after coming seventh, a year on from their playoff final defeat to QPR.

Despite only signing a new deal last summer with the US-owned club, fresh terms have also been mooted for McClaren - though he claims his priority is keeping stars such as Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick and Craig Bryson while strengthening elsewhere.

After missing out on a play-off spot by a point this season, McClaren reflected: “You turn that anger into energy.

“I’ve found a great determination from the board that we go again and mount another campaign aiming to achieve what we want to.

“The recruitment department upstairs providing the resources is going to be very important.

“We need to improve this squad in certain areas. Quality is what we want and if we get that we will be OK again. The best thing we did last summer was sign the players on long-term contracts, nobody leaves unless we want them to go.”

McClaren confirmed Premier League loanees Tom Ince and Jesse Lingard are set to return to Hull and Manchester United respectively.

Derby are in the market for striker Darren Bent after his successful loan from Aston Villa, but McClaren added: “Darren Bent is a free agent, after scoring the goals he has done, there will be quite a few clubs after him.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/steve-mcclaren-reward-newcastle-snub-5654857

I would not be impressed if we were to reward failure with a contract.

The aim is it not is to achieve promotion. I would venture to say that we are further away now than what we were a year ago. We are also more heavily out of pocket having provided McClaren with more funds than I can remember any manager having in recent years with which to achieve a place in at worst the top 6. 

Does anyone else just think The Mirror should **** off?

Why do they seem to always write about us. Right now we're just a good Champ team. Nobody else was writing about McClaren before they did. 

When we were a midtable side they wrote about Nigel to Forest.

Why don't they just **** off? Fed up of reading "The Mirror said". Why don't they write about Wolves or Boro instead.

Clearly not true as it's The Mirror. But...having a laugh if it was. 

"Sorry I have been going on dating websites and flirting with some girls at work, even planning to run off with June (Toon) my secretary. But now I have decided I might stay with you, lets renew our vows. You can pay for the venue."

Jog on. 

It annoys me that they've taken to printing quotes that are unrelated to the story they are telling, which they almost trick you into thinking it makes the story credible.

There's no way McClaren has the level of delusion to even enter talks about a new contract, and there's no way Sam isn't tough enough to tell SMc to do one if he's asked for a new contract!

Why increase your liability for compensation?

he's more likely to get sacked than he is to go elsewhere now.

It annoys me that they've taken to printing quotes that are unrelated to the story they are telling, which they almost trick you into thinking it makes the story credible.

There's no way McClaren has the level of delusion to even enter talks about a new contract, and there's no way Sam isn't tough enough to tell SMc to do one if he's asked for a new contract!

​Mate I love it how you slag everyone else off for printing what in your view is unsubstantiated comment or even their own belief, yet you appear to have a hotline directly into the DCFC boardroom! 

How do you actually know what you're saying is true? In the same way how do you actually know that what the Mirror is printing isn't?

I'm not saying the Mirror is right, I have no idea, but before you have a crack at others for printing opinion as fact, you perhaps need to have a look in the, er, mirror.

Maybe they should change the type of contracts managers have to help finally do something about this perceived unfairness in letting them go with such frequency.

Put all managers on year-to-year contracts with the expectations agreed at the beginning. The manager gets an automatic yearly contract renewal should he fulfil those expectations and he is let go (at the clubs discretion) if not. 

That way, everybody would know exactly where they stand and clubs would likely know if a manager were to be on the market the following season.

​Mate I love it how you slag everyone else off for printing what in your view is unsubstantiated comment or even their own belief, yet you appear to have a hotline directly into the DCFC boardroom! 

How do you actually know what you're saying is true? In the same way how do you actually know that what the Mirror is printing isn't?

I'm not saying the Mirror is right, I have no idea, but before you have a crack at others for printing opinion as fact, you perhaps need to have a look in the, er, mirror.

​I have a certain thing called intelligence, whereas certain muppets believe everything that is written cos it's been cleverly constructed to resemble the truth, I can see the tactical, but subtle differences. You should be thanking me, not digging me out. Without someone like me to help people like you survive the real world, you'd be wondering around in a state of permanent confusion, oh hang on, you probably already are. I bet you're currently scratching your head as to why Will Hughes isn't already at Liverpool and Steve McClaren isn't covered in Toon Army tattoos.

If you don't enjoy or appreciate my posts, then pretty simple Vulcan, go to your profile, find the ignore list, type Mostyn6 in and never see my posts ever again. In fact, I'd be grateful if you did, cos having to stoop to your level of limited understanding is tiring me out.

Archived