Some of the problems Mac had to deal with.

Curtains

Thorne injury wasn't a problem in somes eyes then along with Eustace all season nearly and having to go with Mascarell  who also got injured and slated by some RD people  

Martins injury wasn't a problem then along with Bents injury  and Russell's injuries  

Buxtons injury wasn't a problem then and neither was Brysons in somes eyes .

Ward and Whitbreads injuries weren't a problem then. 

Best not scoring was a problem certainly and a Mac mistake in my eyes  

What to do with Sammon wasn't  a problem left by Clough

What to do with Barker, Coutts and Ben Davies and Mark OBrien ,Deeney etc wasnt a problem 

Mac from the moment he came in has been dealing with problems  but he has had some success along the way  .

Jordan Ibe going back to Liverpool and losing Bamford and Wisdom were problems for Mac also  .

Warnock getting sent off against Reading in FA Cup was a problem .

Christie and Forsyth losing form was a problem 

Albentosa getting injured and not settling was a problem 

Grant losing form at times was a problem .

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awww poor him. You just mentioned problems every manager at every single club has, injuries, what players to sell, what players to keep ...... yes he may have had more injuries to deal with than most clubs in the Championship, but a starting 11 of:

Grant

Shotton - Keogh - Albentosa - Forsyth

Hendrick - Hughes - Dawkins/Warnock

Ince - Bent - Russell/Lingard

should still be able to beat a bottom half Huddersfield team who had won just twice in 11 games, a Millwall team in the relegation zone who had won just twice in 15 games and we certainly shouldn't have lost 3-0 to a Reading side (that included youngsters) who had won just once in 13 games

Sam and Steve went on record as saying that they were delighted with the squad that Steve inherited. So delighted that many received extended contracts from Sam and Steve at the end of last season. Steve was brought in to make them play better as a team. They did for some of the time last season and then it went pear shaped in the latter half of this season.

Why don't we all accept that it went wrong and now is the time to start to put it right. Going over who's fault it was/might have been and trying to deflect blame and apportion blame is totally pointless. We finished 8th, it went wrong at the end and now we get on with it.

Awww poor him. You just mentioned problems every manager at every single club has, injuries, what players to sell, what players to keep ...... yes he may have had more injuries to deal with than most clubs in the Championship, but a starting 11 of:

Grant

should still be able to beat a bottom half Huddersfield team who had won just twice in 11 games, a Millwall team in the relegation zone who had won just twice in 15 games and we certainly shouldn't have lost 3-0 to a Reading side (that included youngsters) who had won just once in 13 games

Key players in key positions and  I also  forgot Dawkins and Hughes missed games .

We had more bad luck with injuries than I can ever remember a Derby side ever having .

Some of the problems Mark Warburton  has had to deal with.

Erm  Mark your sacked at the end of the season whether you take us up or not.

Try not to let this news derail your season or unsettle the lads, alright ?

Injuries in key positions are different gravy. 

Derbys were massive. 

Grant

​Lack of shape stands out above all else for me there. It's alright having the players but if they're unsure of the system/roles then it can untangle very quickly...

This season we were ridiculously unlucky with injuries, no two ways about it. We have a strong squad so one or two injuries we would have been able to deal with. However when every player for the 2 positions pivotal to our 433 system get injured, it's obviously going to have a huge impact.

​Lack of shape stands out above all else for me there. It's alright having the players but if they're unsure of the system/roles then it can untangle very quickly...

This season we were ridiculously unlucky with injuries, no two ways about it. We have a strong squad so one or two injuries we would have been able to deal with. However when every player for the 2 positions pivotal to our 433 system get injured, it's obviously going to have a huge impact.

​Yeah no doubt it disrupted our whole season, but if we were told of the starting 11 before the Huddersfield, Millwall and Reading games and were told we'd get 2 points from a possible 9 and concede 10 goals in the process, you'd either laugh or cry

Key players in key positions and  I also  forgot Dawkins and Hughes missed games .

We had more bad luck with injuries than I can ever remember a Derby side ever having .

​I think Nigel Clough had far greater injuries to cope with in his early days, so much so that the capabilities of the medical staff were being constantly criticized by the clerks, factory workers, it consultants and other medical experts on here. Steve McClaren had two important injuries to cope with, the centre forward spot and he failed massively, and the CDM which seemed to have him confused as to how to get round it. 

​Yeah no doubt it disrupted our whole season, but if we were told of the starting 11 before the Huddersfield, Millwall and Reading games and were told we'd get 2 points from a possible 9 and concede 10 goals in the process, you'd either laugh or cry

​To be honest, it was nothing less than I was expecting. The poor form didn't start there so I knew we'd be tough pressed to get anything out of those games.

At the time the thought crossed my mind, 'what if we have been merely over-achieving this whole time, like an extended honeymoon period under Mac'. However, some of the football we've played disproves this; I'm still adamant that we were the best team in the league this season. We took 8 points from the final top 2 and deserved more out of the season but it's undeniable that the injuries cost us. The poor form that followed led to a drop in morale which led to a downward spiral.

With players like: Martin, Thorne and Buxton all returning fully fit, hopefully with a few new quality additions to the side here and there, we'll return stronger than ever next season and hopefully take that next step.

There's one big problem to solve.

Get fit DM, so our centrebacks doesn't need to distribute as much as they have and fullbacks can play their natural, attacking game.

I think he can manage to solve this one and we are pretty much ready for the next season.

Curtains, as much as I want McClaren to stay and sort this mess out, I think you're trying to hard here. When I was critical of Nigel Clough, HAD someone listed the things you've just listed, I'd have laughed and dismissed as part and parcel of the game.

McClaren hasn't done as well as he could and should have and had he been here a season longer, I doubt I personally could've excused him this capitulation.

That said, McClaren has had to contend with something Nigel never, and that's abuse when being successful. He didn't however deal with it very well.

​Nonsense. Clough had to deal with more injuries and over a longer period of time. As Mostyn said, you're trying too hard.

And why have you started ANOTHER thread?

​To be honest, it was nothing less than I was expecting. The poor form didn't start there so I knew we'd be tough pressed to get anything out of those games.

At the time the thought crossed my mind, 'what if we have been merely over-achieving this whole time, like an extended honeymoon period under Mac'. However, some of the football we've played disproves this; I'm still adamant that we were the best team in the league this season. We took 8 points from the final top 2 and deserved more out of the season but it's undeniable that the injuries cost us. The poor form that followed led to a drop in morale which led to a downward spiral.

With players like: Martin, Thorne and Buxton all returning fully fit, hopefully with a few new quality additions to the side here and there, we'll return stronger than ever next season and hopefully take that next step.

​I hope you're right, but McClaren really does need to prepare during pre season for if a similar situation occurs 

​I hope you're right, but McClaren really does need to prepare during pre season for if a similar situation occurs 

​The beauty of anything going wrong in pre-season is that the transfer market is still open so mistakes can be rectified.

There's one big problem to solve.

Get fit DM, so our centrebacks doesn't need to distribute as much as they have and fullbacks can play their natural, attacking game.

I think he can manage to solve this one and we are pretty much ready for the next season.

​May I point out that the first essential of any full-back is an ability to DEFEND, attacking prowess is a bonus.

Archived