Youngsters

Forget the chaos of the last few months, the fact we dont know who will be here in terms of 1st team players and management and the like but we do appear to have some talent in the u21's who must be ready to step up for regular first team action

Players have dipped in and out which will have done little for their confidence, Hanson being a prime example. Come what may (august) i would like to see Roos, Hanson, Lowe, Rawson, Bennett, Guy and Calero all being given ample opportunities. I do think Thomas is either not ready or will come up short.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roos is already capable, if steady, as reserve 'keeper.

Hanson, Lowe, Rawson, Bennett and Calero should all be ready to be at least backup players.

I've been saying for most of the season that Calero should be getting more of a sniff of first team.

Guy, Koblenz, McDonald, Thomas and Santos won't be too far away either.

Roos Rawson and Hanson to be intergrated in to squad/team

Sell

Grant

Keogh

Hendrick

Ward

Sammon

Buy

Marshall

Hanley/Matt Mills

Karacan (on a free)

McCormack/Rhodes

Rohan Ince

Nathan Burns( Wellington)Classy Tricky forward who runs all day and good finisher would fit out system

New Captain to be appointed Thorne/Buxton

While Butland did great for us on loan, I do wonder what impact it might have had on Roos and if bringing Butland in was really necessary.

Also what did Hanson really do wrong? Would it not have been better to keep him at CDM instead of sticking Hendrick and Warnock in that position? Square pegs round holes and all that.

Fresh from first team football at Rotherham I also think Rawson was definitely worth a try.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm also not trying to attach blame. Just wondering what if. Instead of covering injuries with expensive loan players, why haven't we used our squad?

For the CDM, it all comes down to experience I guess - they put Warnock in to try and emulate Eustace, a wise old head(!) who wasn't afraid to stick a boot in. For me, it should have been Hanson. He looked pretty solid, if not spectacular in there against Norwich, and gave Middlesbrough's midfield (as good as they are) a run for their money too.

Given the chance, I would have brought Butland in too. He's way more experienced than Roos, and as much as I'd like to blood our youth, that for me was the right decision.

While Butland did great for us on loan, I do wonder what impact it might have had on Roos and if bringing Butland in was really necessary.

Also what did Hanson really do wrong? Would it not have been better to keep him at CDM instead of sticking Hendrick and Warnock in that position? Square pegs round holes and all that.

Fresh from first team football at Rotherham I also think Rawson was definitely worth a try.

Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm also not trying to attach blame. Just wondering what if. Instead of covering injuries with expensive loan players, why haven't we used our squad?

​Who cares what effect it'll have on Roos? If he can't deal with it, ship him out. 

You can't build a team whilst tiptoeing around the sensitivities of the existing squad.

Roos Rawson and Hanson to be intergrated in to squad/team

Sell

Grant

Keogh

Hendrick

Ward

Sammon

Buy

Marshall

Hanley/Matt Mills

Karacan (on a free)

McCormack/Rhodes

Rohan Ince

Nathan Burns( Wellington)Classy Tricky forward who runs all day and good finisher would fit out system

New Captain to be appointed Thorne/Buxton

MATT MILLS? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA NO.

New 'keeper. New right back, New centre half, new left back. 

Another ball playing centre midfielder. 

Get rid of Ward, too slow and getting on. 

Tell Hendrick he needs to stop just bombing on

Legit centre forward, not someone who is only good enough for cameos from the bench.

Manuel Neuer, Zabaleta, Thiago Silva, Alaba. 

Verratti 

Ronaldo.

In all seriousness.

Can we really get better than Grant?

Michael Hector for Reading was impressive.

Wisdom on loan? (probably not but a man can dream)

Rhodes? Nah

My concern is that to upgrade to the next level we'll need to spend a lot or unearth an absolute beauty or two on a free

MATT MILLS? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA NO.

​I'm not a massive fan of his but with how our defence has been in the past 14 games I don't think we can laugh at any other defenders to be honest. 

​...no...

I mean, a big no...

Burns is a tidy finisher, and a decent lad, but I can't see him surviving in the Championship. Goes missing under pressure, not strong on the ball. He doesn't fit the Martin mould nor is he a good enough finisher to justify playing there otherwise. That leaves playing him out wide, where he is ineffectual. 

Hopefully the lad stays at Wellington and keeps pushing his case for Australia selection, but ultiumately I can't see him leaving to warm a bench and be forgetting as he was at AEK and Incheon. 

If we're looking at the A-league in our deficient areas I'd be looking more at:

- Luke DeVere: Classy ball playing defender at a good age, though he has a history of injuries

- Luke Brattan: Class deep lying midfielder, solid defensively, class on the ball

- Mark Milligan: A different type of defensive midfielder, more of the Eustace type role

Beyond that nobody really stands out that much as it stands. If we were forced to take a striker from the A-league, I'd take Berisha from Melbourne Victory. Knows where the goal is, an absolute workhorse, brilliant in the build up, can head a ball with the best of them, but beyond all else, turns up when it counts. 

and ssewankambo to come in at full back? seems almost odd in retrospect he was not give some sort of chance

​Injured in his first game for the U21s and only back fit enough to start playing for them right at the end of the season. A big shame as he's have been an obvious alternative to try versus Christie/Shotton/Keogh. It wasn't to be, but he should be a contender for the first team next year.

Archived