Derby County vs Reading

Carl Sagan

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Personal reasons again it says on DT website

What personal reasons can be bigger than the game to get us into the play-offs?

What personal reasons can be bigger than the game to get us into the play-offs?

​We don't know what's going on with Dawkins but any serious personal or family issue (presuming it is that) is way more important than any game of football. Every time. I wish him well and hope he's ok.

To be fair to Dawkins, there has been something ongoing and i'm guessing serious. For example Ramnut, would you have expected Rio to be playing today?

It must be very serious......thats my point.

hopefully not just some silly domestic......

halifaxram

I am probably in a minority here, but after the calamitous start, and the defence being very rocky at the beginning, I did feel that Warnock was starting to find his space, and for a while Reading didn't threaten, whilst we were actually starting to develop a bit of momentum. I was a bit flabbergasted when the manager then changed system, and felt that this knocked us back again, as everyone was wondering what their roles were.

Now my view at that time was that we should persist with the shape, on the basis that if we were going to progress, then we did at least need to look at regaining some consistency by allowing the starting line-up to settle. I'm afraid that I have come to the conclusion that for several weeks the management have been firefighting, rather than pro-actively seeking ways of addressing the issues that have presented themselves.

Midfield disappeared completely today, and no-one was seeking the ball, hence the rather aimless passing across the back, and then the inevitable failed punt forwards. I was also very disappointed at how Reading were able to break forward in numbers, and our midfield seem to be jogging back with no sense of urgency.

I have been trying to avoid having a dig at the captain all season, but quite clearly, he is not leadership material, and consequent upon this, is that by trying to fulfil the requirements of the job, his own game suffers. I am unable to identify any characters that may be leaders, and drivers, Eusty was probably the nearest, but sadly fell victim to his injury proneness.

Raul cannot have been a key La Liga player, and be poor. Eibar have bombed since he left. However, mobile and fleet footed, he is not, so one has to presume that he is a guy who occupies a small area, and clears everything that comes flying into the box. He does not fit our current system, as the way we play leaves wide gaps and large open spaces in front of the defence.

I suppose the bottom line is that "when the going gets tough" etc but we clearly don't have any tough guys. 

Bit of a ramble i know, so frustrated that we have gone backwards, whilst clearly others have watched, learned, and then overtaken us. Not sure what to think at the moment for our prospects next season.

Have a good summer guys, there have been a lot of enjoyable threads on this forum, and some witty characters  to boot, and, as a previous poster pointed out, we, and our team, has had a better day than Rio Ferdinand, God bless him.

I am probably in a minority here, but after the calamitous start, and the defence being very rocky at the beginning, I did feel that Warnock was starting to find his space, and for a while Reading didn't threaten, whilst we were actually starting to develop a bit of momentum. I was a bit flabbergasted when the manager then changed system, and felt that this knocked us back again, as everyone was wondering what their roles were.

Now my view at that time was that we should persist with the shape, on the basis that if we were going to progress, then we did at least need to look at regaining some consistency by allowing the starting line-up to settle. I'm afraid that I have come to the conclusion that for several weeks the management have been firefighting, rather than pro-actively seeking ways of addressing the issues that have presented themselves.

Midfield disappeared completely today, and no-one was seeking the ball, hence the rather aimless passing across the back, and then the inevitable failed punt forwards. I was also very disappointed at how Reading were able to break forward in numbers, and our midfield seem to be jogging back with no sense of urgency.

I have been trying to avoid having a dig at the captain all season, but quite clearly, he is not leadership material, and consequent upon this, is that by trying to fulfil the requirements of the job, his own game suffers. I am unable to identify any characters that may be leaders, and drivers, Eusty was probably the nearest, but sadly fell victim to his injury proneness.

Raul cannot have been a key La Liga player, and be poor. Eibar have bombed since he left. However, mobile and fleet footed, he is not, so one has to presume that he is a guy who occupies a small area, and clears everything that comes flying into the box. He does not fit our current system, as the way we play leaves wide gaps and large open spaces in front of the defence.

I suppose the bottom line is that "when the going gets tough" etc but we clearly don't have any tough guys. 

Bit of a ramble i know, so frustrated that we have gone backwards, whilst clearly others have watched, learned, and then overtaken us. Not sure what to think at the moment for our prospects next season.

Have a good summer guys, there have been a lot of enjoyable threads on this forum, and some witty characters  to boot, and, as a previous poster pointed out, we, and our team, has had a better day than Rio Ferdinand, God bless him.

Only read first paragraph,totally agree,Warnock was best player, I was dumbfounded he got took off......I really can't be arsed replying to other threads, so I will say here I'm not surprised what happened today, and I was on the "I'm over it already brigade" but now pissed up......I'm fuming, we should be up already or in the playoffs at least.......we've been **** for months and bottled it again today

Today was truly woeful but to be honest it was all very predictable and the points we have lost in games such as Millwall, Wolves, Birmingham, Huddersfield etc is what did it for us. However I am not as optimistic about next season as some appear to be as 12 points from 39 is certain relegation form and unless we start next season very differently expectations will have to be lowered and just staying in the Championship may become an objective.This season has been one of failure and some very significant changes will need to be made to move us on from where we are now the management situation included

​A bit off piste, but something else which really bothered me at the Millwall game last week was how many Derby fans spent the entire game goading the Millwall fans about getting relegated. and losing a 3-1 lead.  Call me superstitious but I believe in what goes around comes around, and it bit us in the ****today big time.  We had nothing to crow about scraping a point from a poor, demoralised side.  Who's laughing at us now?

​A bit off piste, but something else which really bothered me at the Millwall game last week was how many Derby fans spent the entire game goading the Millwall fans about getting relegated. and losing a 3-1 lead.  Call me superstitious but I believe in what goes around comes around, and it bit us in the ****today big time.  We had nothing to crow about scraping a point from a poor, demoralised side.  Who's laughing at us now?

​Totally agree. Giving the Ref jib in the Birmingham game he adds on 10mins added time we drop two vital points. Giving Federici abuse today for crying after a mistake in the FA cup then saves a penalty. I can think of a couple of others. What comes around goes around just makes out job that bit harder, you are less likely to help someone if they start calling you a w*anker arent you?

Karma is no excuse though for what has been a torrid end to the season.

​Totally agree. Giving the Ref jib in the Birmingham game he adds on 10mins added time we drop two vital points. Giving Federici abuse today for crying after a mistake in the FA cup then saves a penalty. I can think of a couple of others. What comes around goes around just makes out job that bit harder, you are less likely to help someone if they start calling you a w*anker arent you?

Karma is no excuse though for what has been a torrid end to the season.

​Federici didn't save the penalty because the SS gave him grief. He saved the penalty because it was a 6/10 penalty against a 7/10 Championship keeper. He timewasted from day 0, and deserved all the abuse he got. 

​Federici didn't save the penalty because the SS gave him grief. He saved the penalty because it was a 6/10 penalty against a 7/10 Championship keeper. He timewasted from day 0, and deserved all the abuse he got. 

​Well it certainly gave him a point to prove.

His mother is very ill. 

That is very sad. I quite understand his absense.

i don't think his presence would have changed the result.

I'd like to know what lingard said to bent before the penalty....... And why! 

There were a few odd things yesterday. I couldn't understand Lingard's intervention just before Bent was about to take the penalty. Why when we were being outnumbered in midfield with Reading playing 451 did Mac think it a good idea to go effectively 424. Did Ince, Bent or Martin get any instructions as to what shape to play second half, or were they left to their own devices to roam wherever they wanted. Why was Albentosa for much of the match apparently having to defend himself from what seemed like sniping from his right and left. Why did Russell get showered and dressed for the second half. Why when it is coached into Sunday League hackers to stay on your feet did Keogh want to keep propelling himself horizontal into one on ones. Where were our injured players -Thorne, Bucko, Bryson - what game was it recently when we were all in it together, and everyone was on the bench fit or not?

Yesterday in truth was a bit of an eye opener. I am really not convinced that Mac has the dressing room, nor that he is as good a team coach as many think. There are a few divisions in the team too I would suggest. Mac saying post-match there is absolutely nothing AGREED with Newcastle, absolutely nothing, does little to dispel my view that he handled the rumour situation poorly over the last few months and that it has had a big effect on togetherness. 

I think on balance Mac should go - and I personally would maximise the income we can get from the sale of Hughes, Keogh and Hendrick. I also believe Ward and Forsyth, and possibly Grant should now have played their last games for the club too.  I do hope Thorne, Martin, Russell, Albentosa, Bryson and Buxton can have a good few weeks rest now and come back in good physical shape for the next campaign - if fit, and motivated, I think there is still a good spine to work with, with some able additions.

Reflecting on just how bad yesterday's defeat was , even with the win, over the last ten games , Reading have the joint second worst record , ( with the dogs ).

It is their only win in the last ten games

In their previous nine games they had scored only six goals .

Strewwwwwwwth .

Archived