Dawkins finally given a chance in a central role.

ChaddesdenRam

A player that has split opinion considerably at Derby. Some fans on here can't even comprehend that he is a professional footballer. I also hear abuse at every game he plays. 

To be fair I can perfectly appreciate why Derby fans dislike Dawkins. He is definitely not suited to a wide role, he isn't very good at crossing or does he have the capability to take on a player at pace from a wide position. 

However in a central role I always though he could cause some damage. He does have incredible passing and ball retention. 

Vs Blackpool - 91% and Vs Huddersfield 87% pass completion. Scored and got an assist today, was Man of the Match vs Blackpool. 

I think there has been considerable abuse for Dawkins from a lot of fans. Some of it warranted given how poor his end product was when playing Left Wing but hopefully those fans have seen the qualities he has and realise he is a good player. 

Has anyone changed their opinion on Dawkins after seeing him play down the middle and not out wide? 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have changed my opinion massively in the past week. I have never ever been a fan of him out wide. In the centre today he was superb, I was never worried about him losing the ball for which the same can't be said for Brys, Jeff or even Will. He started off the move for his goal as well. Could be a great find for us.

always thought he was a tidy player but not a winger which is where he always seemed to get played. Had an impressive game vs Blackpool (admittedly they were poor but good to see him play well nonetheless). hopefully he gets a chance to start the next game or two as we see a more settled side going into the playoffs. 

I agree he had no end product out wide which was very frustrating but always showed neat close control/dribbling and other technical attributes. Nice to see him finally coming good 

Come from out of nowhere and now a key player for us for the remaining games. Should have started today. We've found his best position. Few even called it on here. 

Would have loved to see a Thorne - Hughes - Dawkins midfield 3 with Martin up front linking them all together. Hopefully in the playoffs.

I've mentioned numerous times that he has the attributes and capability to play in the hole behind the striker. His ability to keep the ball, link up with players around him and beat his man in a tight area makes him perfect for it. I was so disappointed that he didn't start today but surely now he has to start against Millwall. I really hope he makes this central position his own and a midfield three of Thorne, Hughes and Dawkins would be unbelievable at keeping the ball.

I for one was quite surprised he did not start today,but anyway.

By all reports he played very well today,and that is good for him and for us going forward.

I watched every game he played with Jamaica in the Caribbean Cup and he played centrally some during those and from what I gathered and saw,seems to be more comfortable there.

Dawks is great ball retention,passing and I hope he starts from here on out.

I've got to say I wasn't much of a Dawkins fan to begin with and did question when we signed him.He isn't that good on the wing because he cannot control the ball nor cross it with any ability. But what he is good at is that little flick off to the near player to keep the play moving, he has a decent first quick reaction touch, when he looks up he can lay the ball off nicely and he actually has some invention...and to that end, I have changed my opinion of him when playing in the middle of the park (attacking role only). He hasn't done half bad. In fact, I'm relatively impressed with him...and I'm hard to impress 

Realistically, if you want to be competitive in the Championship, you need two good players for every position. That means that there's a space available for Dawkins to play centre midfield. 

I've always liked him, never does anything obviously good but he's excellent at keeping the ball, which is exactly what you need if your defence is *****. 

A midfield of him, Hughes and Thorne would be incredible at ball retention. Only thing I'd worry about - do they have the physicality and attacking ability to succeed? Thorne and Hughes aren't very attacking players so Dawks would need to come up big in that regard. But right now, he's a better option than Hendrick (anonymous) and Bryson (tired?).  Thinking about it more, I'd like to see that midfield three in the playoffs, provided we get there.

I've got to say I wasn't much of a Dawkins fan to begin with and did question when we signed him.He isn't that good on the wing because he cannot control the ball nor cross it with any ability. But what he is good at is that little flick off to the near player to keep the play moving, he has a decent first quick reaction touch, when he looks up he can lay the ball off nicely and he actually has some invention...and to that end, I have changed my opinion of him when playing in the middle of the park (attacking role only). He hasn't done half bad. In fact, I'm relatively impressed with him...and I'm hard to impress 

Contradicting yourself there pal!

H ... Random place to put this and this is a bit of a 'shot in the dark' and a 'you don't get if you don't ask' moment...BUT...I am getting married in just 5 weeks and have convinced my Mrs to be that this will be football themed wedding :).

Quite easy to convince her to be honest as she is a massive footy fan herself...just a shame she supports Spurs!

Well anyhow, here's where my plea comes in...

There isn't that many Derby fans on my side and I really need to redress the balance at the wedding!!!

I have a 3yr old who I am unable to find a kit to wear on the day. Ideally I am looking for our 3rd yellow kit. I cannot get this in the shops nor from anywhere. I really really need this to happen for my (oh and my wife to be) big day.

I don't suppose there is anyone out there with a 3rd kit they can either sell me or lend me just for my special day???

That's my beg...but would be eternally grateful,

Thanks for listening and if you think you could help please text me or reply on here. 

Wouldn't normally give out my number but this is desperate times...thanks again...Chris 09788 871 978

Realistically, if you want to be competitive in the Championship, you need two good players for every position. That means that there's a space available for Dawkins to play centre midfield. 

I've always liked him, never does anything obviously good but he's excellent at keeping the ball, which is exactly what you need if your defence is *****. 

A midfield of him, Hughes and Thorne would be incredible at ball retention. Only thing I'd worry about - do they have the physicality and attacking ability to succeed? Thorne and Hughes aren't very attacking players so Dawks would need to come up big in that regard. But right now, he's a better option than Hendrick (anonymous) and Bryson (tired?).  Thinking about it more, I'd like to see that midfield three in the playoffs, provided we get there.

​If they were playing with a front three of Ince Bent and Russell then I'd say the two banks of three would compliment each other well. The only issue would be the physicality, however the opposition would have to work really hard to get the ball off  them.

Archived