Season over

DerbyRam!

I've never seen such a talented bunch look so devoid of ideas! There were moments in the game today where we looked like we had 11 strangers out there.

It was good to see the look of horror on some of the lads faces (tom Ince looked like he wanted to break down and cry) after this result. It shows the players do care and they are all in it to win it, just for one reason or another it isn't happening for them and us at a crucial time of the season. 

**** HAPPENS ??

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about the triple post everybody.

Whatever happens, it'll be a season to remember, as was last season and I just feel a win from somewhere will give us all a life for the last few games. and boy, I just feel we need one.

since 2000 it's been 4 decent seasons to be a Derby fan.

Burley's play off side is fondly remembered.

Davies side got us a promotion

Last year was special

This year has been frustrating and we'll fall shore, but it seems worse now because of the long run without a win and missed opportunities but we've won a lot of games, been in and around it all season, still might get in the play offs and have had some very good football, even if not quite the joy of last season,  I'll remember it well, and I think with time, most of us will.

​How exactly has it been a season to remember?

We've never got going to the same levels we did last year, attacking-wise, when we were a joy to watch. We've had to grind out 1-0 wins, we're no longer plucky underdogs - we've the best squad in the league and yet we have underachieved massively. We've lost to Forest in the last minute, we've been hit badly by injuries and the players and manager that we idolised haven't done a very good job.

It's bizarre for me to be bothered whether a bunch of men I don't know do or don't win a game of football representing a city I have no real ties to, but all the same I am gutted. I feel sorry for these players - they've let themselves down massively. They were within touching distance of playing in the most iconic sports league in the world and they conceded an 89th minute goal to Bobby f*cking Zamora. One year later and chances are that they don't even get that far. When the going gets tough, for some reason or other, they can't get going.

Change might be a good thing, to be honest. Something drastic needs to happen to break this cycle of falling at the final hurdle. I loved last season so much - even though it all ended in tears, the way we massively overachieved compared to expectations  was a joy to behold. It was terrific seeing players like Forsyth massively improve their game. We were underdogs - and teams, naïvely, thought they could play football against us, which led to us tearing through them with beautiful attacking play. At times, it really was like watching Barcelona.

This year, it's not been the same for me. Teams set up to take a point or grind out a win against us, and we simply cannot break through - we don't have the quality. Players like Forsyth have regressed massively. And we've underachieved. We have the strongest squad in the division and one of the biggest budgets, yet we find ourselves on the edge of the playoffs. For some reason it was more fun winning when we had Connor Sammon on the bench than when we have a former international who was once worth £26 million.

I will never call out our players' effort. They try their hardest, that is plain for all to see. The tears of Keogh last season confirmed that. This includes loan players - you are just scapegoating to call out a player's effort. They want to get into the Premier League a lot more than we so, and they give 110% every week to be criticised by ungrateful sods like me. I am a little disappointed in Mac, because of the regression from last season, but I don't want to see him go. The transformation we have seen under him is incredible, and we are set up for long-term success, with an academy that is producing, a great club set-up, and playing football in the right way. One day, we will go up. But the way that we have thrown it away, in almost farcical fashion, for two years straight is immensely frustrating. All the while, the gap between us and the Premier League only gets bigger.

They only had ten men...

I think Steve McClaren gets away with it too easy from some fans. Our squad is the best in the league regardless of what anybody says so a manager of his quality should be able to get us promoted.

I have to question some of his decisions, not only today, but over the course of the last two seasons. What on earth was the formation he switched to at half time? Hendrick in that right back area when Shotton was on the pitch and Albentosa on the bench... Strange. 

I just don't understand why he has to change it when we are playing against ten men, he chops and changes so much the players do not know what is going on.

Depending on who we replace him with I do not think we would miss him much. Get someone like Sean Dyche or Mark Warburton and I think we can make a real good go of it next year. We cannot afford to go back to the Nigel Clough level managers though.

I don't think our season is just over yet but I think SM has to take responsibility for what has happened over the last month, yes injuries haven't helped the cause but we should still have enough quality to have beaten the likes of Birmingham, Brighton and Fulham.

So for me, McClaren can go, take the 2mil and run. Get a manager with a proven Championship record and we'll do well next year. Gonna be a long summer with speculation about Hughes etc leaving but I think the most important man we need to keep hold of is Sam Rush. The effect he's had on the club is enormous.

Up the effing rams.

i think albentosa, i remember him pulling up after running for a ball against wolves, probably not fully fit however i think it would have been a better choice Albentosa > shotton all day long i feel shotton is another christie

Shotton has had a handful of horrific RB back performances.  

Fulham away he came on and was as bad as Christie

Brighton away he was the let down and terrible positioning

Norwich away,  same as Brighton.

How can you forget those performances? They were terrible.  

Christie only needs to trust his instincts more and it would solve half his problems.

He sees what he should do and then has an extra touch. Always with the extra touch. It's killing your season dude. Stop it.

Shotton has had a handful of horrific RB back performances.  

Fulham away he came on and was as bad as Christie

Brighton away he was the let down and terrible positioning

Norwich away,  same as Brighton.

How can you forget those performances? They were terrible.  

Christie only needs to trust his instincts more and it would solve half his problems.

He sees what he should do and then has an extra touch. Always with the extra touch. It's killing your season dude. Stop it.

Sith Happens

The season is not over, still think we can put a decent run together between now and end of season. Give us some confidence going into play offs. Far from over.

​oh dear Scarlet Pimp, I didn't realise you had difficulty in understanding straightforward concepts. So in simple terms, realism means a tendency to view things as they really are - something you obviously don't know about  - you have to extract your head from your backside to grasp that meaning. It is perfectly possible to criticise the team, individual players, the manager etc when they deserve it and still support the club. 

​oh dear Scarlet Pimp, I didn't realise you had difficulty in understanding straightforward concepts. So in simple terms, realism means a tendency to view things as they really are - something you obviously don't know about  - you have to extract your head from your backside to grasp that meaning. It is perfectly possible to criticise the team, individual players, the manager etc when they deserve it and still support the club. 

My reply to Scarlet Pimple would have meant more if his original message had been included for context but the forum is acting up a bit

Try turning the season on it's head!

Had we started with a rotten run of drawn and lost games, then improved, then clicked into gear, and kept improving we would be champing at the bit in these last six games to improve even further on 6th place with a good GD.

The entire scenario would be one of burgeoning confidence as the play-offs beckoned.

Guess what? This season ain't over till it's over!

Season is not over till the fat lady sings.......

We've got the play offs to look forward to if we keep CM fit add DB to play up as well, kick Christie up the arse there is no reason for us not to win them . On our day there is not better team in the division, over the last 6 weeks which have not played to our ability, 6 games.......let us start with a good win on Monday, as long as we can win our next 9 games I will be more than happy!

Archived