Maybe McClaren is as stubborn as Nigel.

Mostyn6

During the previous regime, a few of us were very critical of the perceived stubbornness of the manager when it came down to selections and tactics. It seemed he was insistent on sticking with failing selections and formations and picking under-performing players.

Based on some of the opinions I've read here over the last few days, seems some people are suggesting the current manager is similar. 

Has McClaren's perceived constant chopping and changing of certain players whilst ring-fencing others backfired on him?  There's a suggestion that certain players confidence has been massively affected.

One could suggest this could create a slight divide if certain players felt hard done by whilst seeing others being treated better. 

I knew twitter is full of idiots and I read one tweet saying that as Keogh wasn't taken out of the firing line weeks ago, McClaren has made it worse.  Not sure if subscribe to that view. 

Is there an issue?     

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did mention that McClaren has been a little stubborn (Until friday) with our formation, especially whilst we have had no real experienced recognised striker. But until Bent came back I was struggling to figure out what formation would even of best suited the players we had fit without a recognised striker, so maybe that was a problem.

But I thought even when Martin and Bent were fit that a 4231 would have been a good viable option as an alternative formation. It's not massively different and is easy to interchange with 4123 or however you look at the numbering of our normal formation. Like I said its not a dig at McClaren, I trust him and both him and Nigel are very different managers. I felt the fact we were sticking with the exact same formation meant we never left teams guessing. 4231 worked really well Friday and I hope even when Martin and Thorne are fit we still try it out.

Grant

Christie, Keogh, Albentosa, Forsyth

Thorne, Bryson

Russell,      Hughes,        Ince

Martin 

Hughes and Bryson could easily interchange and the three players (Ince, hughes, Rusell) like on friday can also interchange easily. I think it protects the back four better and allows the attacking players more freedom which I think is what McClaren was going for and it worked..... until Forsyth gave the ball away and grant just seemed to forget what happens when you don't open your hands to catch a ball.

I did mention that McClaren has been a little stubborn (Until friday) with our formation, especially whilst we have had no real experienced recognised striker. But until Bent came back I was struggling to figure out what formation would even of best suited the players we had fit without a recognised striker, so maybe that was a problem.

But I thought even when Martin and Bent were fit that a 4231 would have been a good viable option as an alternative formation. It's not massively different and is easy to interchange with 4123 or however you look at the numbering of our normal formation. Like I said its not a dig at McClaren, I trust him and both him and Nigel are very different managers. I felt the fact we were sticking with the exact same formation meant we never left teams guessing. 4231 worked really well Friday and I hope even when Martin and Thorne are fit we still try it out.

Grant

Christie, Keogh, Albentosa, Forsyth

Thorne, Bryson

Russell,      Hughes,        Ince

Martin 

Hughes and Bryson could easily interchange and the three players (Ince, hughes, Rusell) like on friday can also interchange easily. I think it protects the back four better and allows the attacking players more freedom which I think is what McClaren was going for and it worked..... until Forsyth gave the ball away and grant just seemed to forget what happens when you don't open your hands to catch a ball.

​Agree with the formation but I would have Hughes alongside Thorne. Then Ince in behind Martin, dont think Lingard warrants being dropped either. 

On the stubborness I dont think he is 4-3-3 has worked so well in the past its hard to just go about and change it 4231 is the only other option for all our players.

I think he is stubborn yes all managers are . 

They have their beliefs right or wrong. 

Lets hope he gets it right 

I don't agree with all his decisions but he's the manager and that's football

Managers  come and  go but Derby County and its fans are always around here. 

The fans live and breath the club .

The club is the fans and the fans are the club  

Nigel was the first manager to come under the mass internet spotlight. Prior to him it was quite smallish numbers on forums and Twitter.

Every manager from Nigel onwards will have every decision, tactic,signing, substitution, penalty takers, throw in takers, debated and picked apart - unless of course they win every game!

Nigel was the first manager to come under the mass internet spotlight. Prior to him it was quite smallish numbers on forums and Twitter.

Every manager from Nigel onwards will have every decision, tactic,signing, substitution, penalty takers, throw in takers, debated and picked apart - unless of course they win every game!

Archived