50/50

Ovis aries

Anyone think that ,( I do ) , that maybe the management believe that top two , given our present predicament with injuries , is maybe a bridge too far , and so are just concentrating on getting into the playoffs with a full strength team , and not "risking players "  .

I don't think that hanging on and then trying to win the last five as we did last season will work for automatic promotion , so this would seem a good tactic , we will see , we could well win every game from now on given the  frigidity of all teams that have "topped" the league this season.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't think so to be honest but you might not be wrong. However we are at the stage where every game suddenly becomes the most important game of the season like tonight is important to stay in contention with the top two. If we win, then friday will become really important to sustain that and go back to the top of the championship to put pressure on the other teams. So I wouldn't think we are ruling anything out yet. I think the coaching staff are playing percentages, having Bent, Martin and Thorne fit for the last 7 games is alot better than risking them back tonight and them pulling out for the entire season.

And also like you say it could be to make sure they stay fit incase we do need them for the play offs, because we would almost certainly need Martin and Thorne to win them.

no, I think the relative success we have had under McClaren has been off the back of trying to win all the time.

The reason he isn't picking certain players is simply that they're not fit enough. I think the division is too unpredictable for brinkmanship!

Injuries and form right now is a massive issue. Not insurmountable but big enough to be a worry for most fans certainly. This poor run cannot continue if we want top 2, the 'bad' run has to end sooner rather than later. Personally I think we cannot give ground on the teams around us (if we want top 2) and hope we beat the 'lesser' sides after Easter to catch up. We cannot rely on that, we cannot take any 3 points for granted in this league (Blackpool excepted!).

I think Mac and Co just want to stay within 2/3 points of the autos. I'm sure they believe that with a fully fit squad they can turn that around. I think we can too. If we can get in the automatics then great. But for now, with the injuries, I think it's about the less ambitious cling on to them. 

If the gap is 6 points between  us and 2nd after Friday night then ill be thinking play offs. Any less and I think we have the quality go turn it around if we can get what we'd call our strongest 11 out for the first time this season after the break. 

If it's less than 2/3 points then we should be happy.  

If we're in the top 2 after Friday night then it's a massive bonus and if we end up in the play offs then I'm going to let Mac's tyres down.

I think Mac and Co just want to stay within 2/3 points of the autos. I'm sure they believe that with a fully fit squad they can turn that around. I think we can too. If we can get in the automatics then great. But for now, with the injuries, I think it's about the less ambitious cling on to them. 

If the gap is 6 points between  us and 2nd after Friday night then ill be thinking play offs. Any less and I think we have the quality go turn it around if we can get what we'd call our strongest 11 out for the first time this season after the break. 

If we're in the top 2 after Friday night then it's a massive bonus and if we end up in the play offs then I'm going to let Mac's tyres down.

​Good post, and clearly the plan - Norwich game made that quite apparent

I would take a couple of points off autos if offered right now going into the end of the season (5 games or so). All teams chasing have shown a propensity to struggle with pressure.

Archived