Still without a Centre Forward

cloughandtaylor

​Why are Boro a step up? Their form is worse than Norwich and we are at home. They didn't dispatch Ipswich easily, Ipswich were much the better team in the first half and were unlucky to be 2-1 down at half time.

We need to play Dawkins IMO, he will wold the ball up.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​sometimes you have to set things straight though. Just because someone plays differently and has different abilities, the position is still the same. You wouldn't accept someone saying that "such and such isn't a goalkeeper cos he doesn't command his box as well as Grant" 

Stick with Russell if we can't get any suitable cover in on loan - he's the best we've got to go with.

Thomas from what I've seen so far looks like he's a way off being a hold up style of CF at a first team level. 

Anyone suggesting Dawkins can hold up the ball either doesn't go to match or is deluded - he's beyond featherweight when it comes keeping hold of the ball!

Strikers and centre forwards are different to my mind. Lineker/Inzaghi/Klose/Bent/Russell = striker and Ibrahimovich/Duncan Ferguson/Chris Martin = centre forward.

I wouldn't trust my mind though so I checked with Internet guy and apparently I'm right.

Its like basketball I guess where 'positions' are defined more by the role they play than the position they take up on the court.

​sometimes you have to set things straight though. Just because someone plays differently and has different abilities, the position is still the same. You wouldn't accept someone saying that "such and such isn't a goalkeeper cos he doesn't command his box as well as Grant" 

On saturday a lot of balls were played to Russell in the air and with his stature against bassong, he was never going to win many. Yes there were also a fair few times that the ball was played into his feet and he was crowded out. But thats why we needed to change our approach for Russell. We were playing the ball to him like he was Chris Martin. He isn't chris martin at all, with russell we need to be playing him in down the channels and the midfield needs to get up and support him so we can pass and move.

On saturday our midfield never really got hold of the ball for any significant amount during the game which never allowed us to actually feed Russell. He had barely any support from the midfield. How many times when Russell got the ball did he actually have an option to quickly play a pass back into midfield and set off on a run in behind. He was never going to shrug off bassong and russell martin in the crowded centre of the pitch. 

So where as I agree he didn't have a brillant game on saturday I think it was unfair to single him out as being poor for being made to do a job he isn't made to do. Like some people are saying I think Dawkins should be given ago either just behind Russell or instead of russell if we are going to continue to try playing a striker to hold up the ball. We don't have a better player at keeping hold of the ball than Dawkins and I have always thought he would suit playing centrally more than out wide anyway. So it would be good to see how he does.

Tomorrow I just hope the team in general re-finds the composure they were lacking on saturday and gets back to finding a man in a derby shirt with the passing we know we are capable of. I also hope if Russell does play at CF we stop aiming long balls to him for him to bring down because it won't happen.

​I not deluded and I've had a season ticket for best part of 40 add years. You don't need to be a man mountain (no pun intended Mountain Ram) to control a football. Dawkins as I would say looks after the ball better than most. More likely to get free kicks if he's got a big centre half leaning all over him too. I played centre half when I was younger and would not relish having to play the likes of Dawkins.

Nobody quality enough for a loan...which has been noted about 20 times(Well perhaps less but you get my point).

JR worked his socks off at Norwich and I have no qualms seeing him start tomorrow as well.

No good LOANS are available.

We have what we have till Crissy and/or Bent is back.

Pray tell let us have faith in JR,Dawks,or whoever the heck Mac puts out there.I will.

On saturday a lot of balls were played to Russell in the air and with his stature against bassong, he was never going to win many. Yes there were also a fair few times that the ball was played into his feet and he was crowded out. But thats why we needed to change our approach for Russell. We were playing the ball to him like he was Chris Martin. He isn't chris martin at all, with russell we need to be playing him in down the channels and the midfield needs to get up and support him so we can pass and move.

On saturday our midfield never really got hold of the ball for any significant amount during the game which never allowed us to actually feed Russell. He had barely any support from the midfield. How many times when Russell got the ball did he actually have an option to quickly play a pass back into midfield and set off on a run in behind. He was never going to shrug off bassong and russell martin in the crowded centre of the pitch. 

So where as I agree he didn't have a brillant game on saturday I think it was unfair to single him out as being poor for being made to do a job he isn't made to do. Like some people are saying I think Dawkins should be given ago either just behind Russell or instead of russell if we are going to continue to try playing a striker to hold up the ball. We don't have a better player at keeping hold of the ball than Dawkins and I have always thought he would suit playing centrally more than out wide anyway. So it would be good to see how he does.

Tomorrow I just hope the team in general re-finds the composure they were lacking on saturday and gets back to finding a man in a derby shirt with the passing we know we are capable of. I also hope if Russell does play at CF we stop aiming long balls to him for him to bring down because it won't happen.

​what the hell are you jabbering on about? A centre forward, plays forward in the centre. 

You're confusing a definition with a position. Target man or Lone Striker is a definition (role), whereas Centre forward is a position on a field

​Exactly this. Our controlling player is the defensive midfielder, one of, if not THE most important positions to our "A" game. We (usually) play from the back. However, with such an inexperienced player in that pivotal position no wonder our tactic was to play long, bypass midfield just use the outlet of the front three. Problem was we were next to useless at it. Over hit passes all game long. Albentosa was by far the worst culprit with one or two others hoofing it badly about 10% of what he did.

I might be tempted to give Thomas a go, purely because it is his position.

Love Russell but didn't think he was particularly effective on Saturday, and he's much better in his normal position.

Is Thomas any good?

Archived