Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Smells of Naz doesn't it - though even he didn't start hopping round the ring like he was playing hopscotch? That stuff works early on but as soon as he comes up against someone who will just walk back through him he's getting battered but, sadly, he'll have a few years bopping lesser fighters before that happens.

Just looked disrespectful. I didn't like Naz much. I like him now seems like a top bloke. 

I guess he's just trying to make an impact and become known. But that's the attitude that Piers Morgan and Katy Hopkins adopted. 

Some showboating in a fair fight I think looks impressive and sends a message. But when you're fighting these gimme fights I think you just like an arse. 

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I think I know what you meant 🙂

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I think I know what you meant 🙂

Hahaha, omg what an error. 

Ben may or may not like an arse but I'm in no position to comment on it

Couple of potential belters tonight. Katie Taylor takes on Chantelle Cameron, in her own backyard, all the belts on offer. The atmosphere in the 3arena will be absolutely bonkers and this could be a classic. So hard to call... I look at 2/1 Cameron and think it looks big, but then I think Katie Taylor, in Dublin and... Whatever, it's a fantastic match up and great to see the top girls taking fights that too many of the top lads seem to run from.

In the early hours, Devin Haney takes on Vasyl Lomachenko. Cards on the table, I love Loma and I'm not Haney's biggest fan by a stretch, so I'll be rooting for the Ukrainian even though I think he may have it to do against a bigger fighter, 11 years his junior and at the peak of his powers. C'mon Loma! 😂

There are some amazing potential fights between 130lbs and 140lbs.

Taylor vs Teofimo Lopez soon too.

I think these fights are more likely to happen as there is less ego involved.

The heavyweight scene is a disgrace. I saw Tyson Fury put out another clip saying he wants the big fights and through no fault of his own the Usyk unification didn’t happen. The guy is becoming a parody. 

That was an absolute banger. Loads of respect to both these lasses. I had Cameron edging it FWIW but neither deserved to lose. The crowd seem unhappy, but I think Katie knew herself that she'd been beaten. Katie is a great champion and a torchbearer for the women's game, but Cameron is skilled, pretty fearsome and utterly relentless. 

21 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Couple of potential belters tonight. Katie Taylor takes on Chantelle Cameron, in her own backyard, all the belts on offer. The atmosphere in the 3arena will be absolutely bonkers and this could be a classic. So hard to call... I look at 2/1 Cameron and think it looks big, but then I think Katie Taylor, in Dublin and... Whatever, it's a fantastic match up and great to see the top girls taking fights that too many of the top lads seem to run from.

In the early hours, Devin Haney takes on Vasyl Lomachenko. Cards on the table, I love Loma and I'm not Haney's biggest fan by a stretch, so I'll be rooting for the Ukrainian even though I think he may have it to do against a bigger fighter, 11 years his junior and at the peak of his powers. C'mon Loma! 😂

For me I rate lomachenko as the best boxer I’ve ever watched , stunning footwork, he just seems to be able to manoeuvre an opponent where he wants them to go but be there ahead of them ready to land a shot , he’s quite amazing 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

For me I rate lomachenko as the best boxer I’ve ever watched , stunning footwork, he just seems to be able to manoeuvre an opponent where he wants them to go but be there ahead of them ready to land a shot , he’s quite amazing 

Did he deserve to lose 🤔

An ultimately disappointing night. A terrific scrap between Taylor and Cameron, then an absolute robbery. Honestly, I think this is why the men's game is losing fans in droves. For all that he's half as big again as Lomachenko, I thought Haney struggled all fight. How all three judges went with the American is beyond me. It leaves a very bad taste.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Did he deserve to lose 🤔

I had him winning the fight by a round maybe two , I m not going to scream cheat if someone saw a draw or a loss by a round but one judge had it ludicrous 🤷🏻‍♂️

Firstly let me start off by saying I was an Okolie hater before Okolie hating was a thing. I read a story about him being a school bully and the beef he had with Isaac Chamberlain was the begining. That's before we have his horrible boxing style and him rapping about himself. 

But that was a massive s*** show from the ref and Billam-Smith. 

Okolie was hugging a lot. That's a fact

But he has a right to clinch and tie up. And there was a couple of points where he was clearly hurt and did so to defend himself. The referee, who deserves a job in football, wouldn't let any inside work go without diving in. Like raccoon constantly needing to touch. 

Billam Smith barely threw anything. Nice fella and I don't begrudge him this life changing night. But his tactic since round 2 seemed to be to stand on Okolie's toes and wait for the hug. Then complain about it. He was constantly looking for Okolie to initiate the tie up, which Okolie frequently fell for, and then was desperately looking to the referee. If boxing gaslighting is a thing then that was it. He put together about 11 good shots in 12 rounds

The second "knock down" was laughable. But the ref was convinced the gust of wind generated by Billam-Smith's missed hook was what sent Okolie down. 

The next knock down, Okolie deserved it for leaning in, but again it was very generous refereeing to count the love tap as a punch as Okolie lunged forward. 

It feels horrible saying it because Billam Smith seems likable and I dislike Okolie. But I think Okolie and the ref did more to give that world title to Billiam-Smith than any "coaching genius" of Shane Mcguigan. 

He had a few success with the left hook. Probably not enough to win the fight without the referees point deductions though. 

People will say that it was a good fight. I'm gonna say it was crap. The ref was the star of the show. Other than that it was negative brawl you'd expect to see in sumo wrestling. 

Sam Eggington, not for the first time, the star of the show. (And more bad refereeing imo. The corner recognised the trouble before the referee and they weren't stood staring Pigford in the face)

On 28/05/2023 at 00:23, Alpha said:

Firstly let me start off by saying I was an Okolie hater before Okolie hating was a thing. I read a story about him being a school bully and the beef he had with Isaac Chamberlain was the begining. That's before we have his horrible boxing style and him rapping about himself. 

But that was a massive s*** show from the ref and Billam-Smith. 

Okolie was hugging a lot. That's a fact

But he has a right to clinch and tie up. And there was a couple of points where he was clearly hurt and did so to defend himself. The referee, who deserves a job in football, wouldn't let any inside work go without diving in. Like raccoon constantly needing to touch. 

Billam Smith barely threw anything. Nice fella and I don't begrudge him this life changing night. But his tactic since round 2 seemed to be to stand on Okolie's toes and wait for the hug. Then complain about it. He was constantly looking for Okolie to initiate the tie up, which Okolie frequently fell for, and then was desperately looking to the referee. If boxing gaslighting is a thing then that was it. He put together about 11 good shots in 12 rounds

The second "knock down" was laughable. But the ref was convinced the gust of wind generated by Billam-Smith's missed hook was what sent Okolie down. 

The next knock down, Okolie deserved it for leaning in, but again it was very generous refereeing to count the love tap as a punch as Okolie lunged forward. 

It feels horrible saying it because Billam Smith seems likable and I dislike Okolie. But I think Okolie and the ref did more to give that world title to Billiam-Smith than any "coaching genius" of Shane Mcguigan. 

He had a few success with the left hook. Probably not enough to win the fight without the referees point deductions though. 

People will say that it was a good fight. I'm gonna say it was crap. The ref was the star of the show. Other than that it was negative brawl you'd expect to see in sumo wrestling. 

Sam Eggington, not for the first time, the star of the show. (And more bad refereeing imo. The corner recognised the trouble before the referee and they weren't stood staring Pigford in the face)

I’m not one of the people who will say it was a good fight ,,,, it stunk the place out , on the other hand as you say the eggington fight was a good watch as he always is though the ref should have been much quicker with the stoppage 

On 30/05/2023 at 07:42, Archied said:

I’m not one of the people who will say it was a good fight ,,,, it stunk the place out , on the other hand as you say the eggington fight was a good watch as he always is though the ref should have been much quicker with the stoppage 

Eggington seemed annoyed the people think he's just a all out fighter. "I'm not a gimmick" 

I mean, I don't think anyone intended it as an insult on his boxing ability. He's got a very very good reputation. I'm sure anyone would love him on their card. 

• 2 weeks later...