Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

11 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Davis-Garcia fight tonight. Davis will go off a strong favourite, but I can't stand the lad so I'm praying Garcia boxes his ears off. Hopefully a routine win for Joe Cordina too.

Garcia was always going to have problems in this fight. His record looks great in terms of numbers but it's got more padding than the best selling wonderbra.

Having 9 million followers on instagram doesnt make you a champ unfortunately.

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Garcia was always going to have problems in this fight. His record looks great in terms of numbers but it's got more padding than the best selling wonderbra.

Having 9 million followers on instagram doesnt make you a champ unfortunately.

Yeah, I think we all knew what was going to happen. Davis' freakish power actually reminds me of Mike Tyson. He's a PoS though, so I was hoping for a miracle. 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

21 hours ago, Alpha said:

Same, I don't like Davis at all. Hoping against the odds he'd get outclassed 

As a boxer he's a great watch but 86HI is right, he's a bit more than just a lad from the wrong side of the tracks who doesn't know how to hold a fork properly. Difficult one though isn't it? I love Usual Suspects with Kevin Spacey in it, Roman Polanski is a convicted paedophile, Good Will Hunting is a great film because of Harvey Weinstein. A lot of what Ali said, and how he behaved outside the ring, was far from palateable. All that said, agree he is hard to like even if he is about as good a p4p boxer as there is out there.

In other news saw the Bridgerweight thump out between Babic and Rozanski. Not sure what the talking point is - that we even have bridgerweights now, the Rozanski upset the odds or that he cleverly didn't get tatooed and now has stumbled on the idea of selling his chest space for advertising. I'm going with the latter - that's weird.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Archied said:

Best of luck to John Ryder tomorrow night , a REAL honest pro , hope he gets a good amount of wedge and comes out unscathed v canelo 

Yeah, I think he might surprise Canelo. 

I think a close fight won on points. 

52 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think a close fight won on points. 

Ryder will NEVER win on points against Canelo in his home town, absolutely 0 chance. If Ryder pummeled him for 12 rounds and knocked him down 5 times, Canelo would still be up on the scorecards.

54 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Ryder will NEVER win on points against Canelo in his home town, absolutely 0 chance. If Ryder pummeled him for 12 rounds and knocked him down 5 times, Canelo would still be up on the scorecards.

Oh yeah I meant Canelo win on points. And probably fairly. 

But I think Ryder will make it close

Never been a massive Canelo fans for reasons already done to death, but I think he'll drown Ryder in the later rounds. Ryder is tough as teak, has real heart and is a very likeable guy. I'd love to see him put it up to Canelo, but honestly, I think any sustained success is an unlikely scenario. In Ryder's last bout, Zach Parker seemed to be able to find him to the body without too much trouble. I'm pretty certain Eddy Reynoso will have noticed this too and if allowed the same freedom, I think Canelo will break him down.

So, with regret, Canelo by KO/TKO heading into the latter rounds would be my uneducated guess.

The 'other fight', Buatsi vs Stepien doesn't exactly fire the imagination. Buatsi was making big noises about Bivol a while back, only to turn down the fight when it was offered, along with a 7-figure fee. Now it's Stepien, leading to Yarde or Azeez. Hmmm... Probs a good thing tbh, as 'contract caveats aplenty' or not, Bivol would dismantle him.

As for tonight, I'm pretty certain he'll beat up Stepien tonight, but any / all of the other options look tough for a fighter whose progress has massively stalled. I'll tune in to cheer Ryder on early hours, but will hopefully still be celebrating a play off slot for the Mighty Rams while Buatsi grabs his cash.

16 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The 'other fight', Buatsi vs Stepien doesn't exactly fire the imagination. 

Seven rounds in and it's a stinker.

Kirsten Price was very good earlier, only shame was that for all her domination she didn't get the TKO. Has to worry her that she was firing at will and still couldn't get the early finish.

Argh, we went for drinks with some pals last night and we've only just got home so I missed the lot!

Huge respect to Ryder. I was certain Canelo would put him away. I've just caught some highlights and it's hard to judge from them alone, but it looked like Ryder gave as good as he got. As @Jubbs pointed out, a points win would have been a miracle in Canelo's back yard so I guess the knockdowns were considered enough, but I'll watch the fight properly later in any case.

One thought that did occur is that Canelo looks a little battle weary, which he's of course entitled to. I wondered at the time whether the Bivol fight might leave a mark and perhaps it has. Canelo said to still want the rematch but a re-think might be in order. It's hard to see what Canelo has left to prove, so even though I'm not his biggest fan by a long stretch, I hope his team mind him a bit.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

15 hours ago, Alpha said:

I would love to see Ben Whittaker absolutely nailed to the canvas. Wtf is he doing? What a knob

Smells of Naz doesn't it - though even he didn't start hopping round the ring like he was playing hopscotch? That stuff works early on but as soon as he comes up against someone who will just walk back through him he's getting battered but, sadly, he'll have a few years bopping lesser fighters before that happens.