Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

On 11/06/2023 at 09:20, Henrycav81 said:

A lot of the rounds were hard to score but the right man won, Taylor admitted that in his post fight interview 

Thought the first 6 were hard to score and had them pretty even but josh became really predictable with Lopez really in charge , I had Lopez by 4 rounds 

Edited by Archied

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

Thought the first 6 were hard to score and had them pretty even but josh became really predictable with Lopez really in charge , I had Lopez by 4 rounds 

Had my first sizeable boxing punt on Lopez since some idiot laid me 6.5 on Bivol to beat Canelo. I thought he won comfortably too FWIW. I do wonder what Jack Catterall is thinking... Nothing good I'd imagine.

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Just watched a documentary about early 80's boxing.  Could Jim Watt win a fight without an 'Accidental' headbutt.  Bloke got away with murder.

What's the doco called mate? Might give it a look if it's any good?

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What's the doco called mate? Might give it a look if it's any good?

Be honest mate, was babysitting my nephew and it just popped up and I pressed play. Which isn't helpful at all.  If I find it again will give you the heads up.  I have seen a lot of good short boxing documentaries on a you tube channel which I think is called ' Rich the fight historian.  About 30-40 minute bios on boxers across the ages.   

https://www.youtube.com/c/RichtheFightHistorian

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

29 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Be honest mate, was babysitting my nephew and it just popped up and I pressed play. Which isn't helpful at all.  If I find it again will give you the heads up.  I have seen a lot of good short boxing documentaries on a you tube channel which I think is called ' Rich the fight historian.  About 30-40 minute bios on boxers across the ages.   

https://www.youtube.com/c/RichtheFightHistorian

Cheers mate, will have a gander.

Watching a Lewis documentary, not really learning much but just a fun reminder of why he's the most complete fighter since Ali. Seeing the different styles he had to adopt over the years and the corruption he faced head on. 

On 07/05/2023 at 01:27, 86 Hair Islands said:

Argh, we went for drinks with some pals last night and we've only just got home so I missed the lot!

Huge respect to Ryder. I was certain Canelo would put him away. I've just caught some highlights and it's hard to judge from them alone, but it looked like Ryder gave as good as he got. As @Jubbs pointed out, a points win would have been a miracle in Canelo's back yard so I guess the knockdowns were considered enough, but I'll watch the fight properly later in any case.

One thought that did occur is that Canelo looks a little battle weary, which he's of course entitled to. I wondered at the time whether the Bivol fight might leave a mark and perhaps it has. Canelo said to still want the rematch but a re-think might be in order. It's hard to see what Canelo has left to prove, so even though I'm not his biggest fan by a long stretch, I hope his team mind him a bit.

On 07/05/2023 at 08:02, Jubbs said:

Not sure why Canelo wants Bivol again unless he's had guarantees from judges that he'll get the decision win no matter what. Only goes one way that Bivol fight.

As a very casual observer, I seem to remember Canelo generally being accepted as the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world a few years back. What's happened to him? Just age? Or is he not quite as good as everyone once thought?

51 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

As a very casual observer, I seem to remember Canelo generally being accepted as the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world a few years back. What's happened to him? Just age? Or is he not quite as good as everyone once thought?

Nothing's happened as such, but he's had a lot of hard fights and as you get older, they take a heavier toll. Equally, with nothing left to prove, it you suspect that it must be getting harder for Canelo to stay motivated for all bar the biggest fights. By his own standards, he didn't look great last time out, but he didn't look bad either and was comfortable value for the win against an incredibly resolute fighter who put on the performance of his career. 

Looking forwards, there aren't too many enticing fights out there for him at his natural weight, so I get the Bivol links, I just think Bivol will beat him up even worse than the first time. The PED abuse still grinds my gears some, but I still have a lot of respect for him as a fighter, so that's not a fight I'd like to see happen really.

9 hours ago, Alpha said:

Watching a Lewis documentary, not really learning much but just a fun reminder of why he's the most complete fighter since Ali. Seeing the different styles he had to adopt over the years and the corruption he faced head on. 

He had some great fights didn't he? I think the one I was most impressed with was the Ruddock one. At the time Donovan was a serious threat and Lewis just kept turning him to his right limit the chances of him throwing his stone handed left.  Short but great fight and after that we knew he was something special. Just such a shame he got a bit lazy for a couple of his fights but - as the records read - he avenged them both.

6 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Equally, with nothing left to prove, it you suspect that it must be getting harder for Canelo to stay motivated for all bar the biggest fights.

Marvin Hagler once said: "It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5am when you're sleeping in silk pyjamas." Asked about this quote, Canelo Alvarez said: "The desire comes out of my love for boxing. I love this sport. There's nothing wrong with the pyjamas I wear!"

But I think you're right - he's been doing this professionally since he was 15. That's a long haul.

Canelo should be about 45. 

He's a Lamborghini with 100,000 miles on the clock. 

If there's even a part of him that's considered retirement then he should do it. He's got nothing to prove and either the milage is starting to show or the hunger is fading. So get out before you get hurt. 

However, even on a bad day he dominates pretty much everybody his size. 

If he wants to get back in with Bivol then you gotta respect that. That's probably the challenge that would keep him hungry. However he got mauled in that fight and he should probably accept he's found his weight limit. 

Ben Whittaker is massive knobber. I get his game. But just stop. You made noise now just focus. Sky money got him a stoppage last night and the whole thing was cringe worthy. 

As for the HW division. I wish they'd all feck off now. 

AJ v Whyte

Usyk v Dubious

Fury v Ngannou. 

What a load of s****

Jared Anderson fought yesterday, the next best thing for USA in the heavyweight division, struggled past Charles Martin in a UD victory, someone AJ beat convincingly when he was champion in 2 rounds. 

30 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Jared Anderson fought yesterday, the next best thing for USA in the heavyweight division, struggled past Charles Martin in a UD victory, someone AJ beat convincingly when he was champion in 2 rounds. 

Oh that hype train behind him too..

As bad as Luis Ortiz when everyone was "AJ is ducking Ortiz"

They've got Wilder and that's about it. Credit to Wilder he can beat almost anybody if he gets it right. 

Canelo is a generational great, alongside GGG and Andre Ward at middle and super middle.

But he has cornered himself with the Bivol fight. He lost easily at 175.

And now Bivol wants to take all his belts at 168, but Canelo is making impossible demands because he knows deep down it’s too big of a risk to take. Yeah he can fight Bivol again at 175, take another loss and just claim the weight difference was too much. But Bivol can make 168, and ultimately, Canelo’s claim of being the best of his era (post Ward) at 168 would be on the line and we could all see how Bivol is the better boxer.

I watched Jared Anderson yesterday. He needs another 5 years of development before getting anywhere near the top 5. 

10 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

He had some great fights didn't he? I think the one I was most impressed with was the Ruddock one. At the time Donovan was a serious threat and Lewis just kept turning him to his right limit the chances of him throwing his stone handed left.  Short but great fight and after that we knew he was something special. Just such a shame he got a bit lazy for a couple of his fights but - as the records read - he avenged them both.

I’ve watched a lot of boxing from the 70s onwards and I consider Lewis to be the best heavyweight I’ve seen, granted it is hard to compare era’s my dad told me that Ali or Cassius Clay as he was then was at his peak before he was banned for 3 years in the 60’s 

13 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

I’ve watched a lot of boxing from the 70s onwards and I consider Lewis to be the best heavyweight I’ve seen, granted it is hard to compare era’s my dad told me that Ali or Cassius Clay as he was then was at his peak before he was banned for 3 years in the 60’s 

Yeah he was pretty complete, Tyson up to (and including) the Michael Spinks fight was pretty impressive but I have a feeling prime Lewis would have handled him. Holyfield is the only other that really comes close. I'm just a few years too young for prime Ali but the one boxer I think you could put in a ring, any era, and he'd be world class is Joe Frazier. He'd have mixed it just as well with Dempsey as he would with Usyk 

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Yeah he was pretty complete, Tyson up to (and including) the Michael Spinks fight was pretty impressive but I have a feeling prime Lewis would have handled him. Holyfield is the only other that really comes close. I'm just a few years too young for prime Ali but the one boxer I think you could put in a ring, any era, and he'd be world class is Joe Frazier. He'd have mixed it just as well with Dempsey as he would with Usyk 

Tyson was a beast, then stopped training and went partying.  No-one would live with him unless they got past 4 rounds when he would burn out.   If he'd not done the partying know one would have got to the 4th round, Lewis included.  With Frazier, I think it was his pure detest of Ali that kept him upright even when he risked blindness in their 3rd fight.  He was a slugger with an engine for me .  A big hitter like Foreman totally obliterated him.

On 03/07/2023 at 11:25, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Tyson was a beast, then stopped training and went partying.  No-one would live with him unless they got past 4 rounds when he would burn out.   If he'd not done the partying know one would have got to the 4th round, Lewis included.  With Frazier, I think it was his pure detest of Ali that kept him upright even when he risked blindness in their 3rd fight.  He was a slugger with an engine for me .  A big hitter like Foreman totally obliterated him.

Styles make fights and Foreman was everything that Frazier didn't need. Look I'm not saying he was the best fighter that ever lived, but I do think he had a style that transcended eras and he is the one I think could have gone in at any time and given anyone a scrap - he wouldn't have won them all but he'd win a lot of them.

As for Tyson, you're right the partying did him but the thing that really did him was when the aura around him vanished. Nothing more crestfallen than a bully that can't bully no more - Buster Douglas showed that, yes Tyson's corner was a joke, yes he was riddled with gonorrhea at the time but he could change that. The thing he could never change again was the air of invincibility - compare the Michael Spinks press conference, when he is literally saying he doesn't want to go in with him, to anything that came after. But, yes, Tyson was a beast and should be any top 20 of all time, and had he kept focus he would likely have been in a top 5, maybe top 3.