Norwich away tickets

Day

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This 'go to Norwich, don't go to Norwich' sums up the whole dilemma with football for me.   Of course we want for promotion for so many reasons.     But if we do go up what's the best we can hope for?   At best being patronized on MOTD like Swansea or Southampton, at worst losing most weeks and hoping to beat Hull in a six-pointer, paying over the odds for the privilege.

So do I want Derby promoted or not?   Yes, course I do, so I'll take the crap.

Do I want to go to Norwich? Yes, so I'll take the crap.

And if I want to make a protest I'll cancel Sky Sports before deciding to boycott games involving my team.

I am not so sure sky sports is the real problem here, you have other leagues which have televised matches and they don't have this issue. I think it is more down to how clubs individually operate and decide what is good and fair. Sky and other channels give a massive endowment to each team but it is up to the team how to spend it. I think the German model ensures every club is owned 51% by the fans although i might be wrong. This it would seem to me to be a good solution, make sure the fans have a real voice in boardrooms on issues like ticket pricing so clubs cannot help destroy the thing which has took so long to nurture. When you see even teams like Bayern Munich arguing this "We have expensive tickets, in the lounge and business areas, and thanks to those we can still sell standing tickets at around €7.50 per match, cheaper than it costs to go to the cinema in Munich. A poor guy, maybe without work, we want him to be able to go and watch football. That is our obligation."

It makes it difficult to argue against, a lot of clubs like ours do in the main provide great ticket deals however for football to survive in this country and remain the great sport that it is, more clubs need to listen to fans because too many are being locked out of the stadiums by extortionate ticket prices.

It seems the FA has even got the begging bowl out to the premier league asking like Oliver, pleading for more money so they can do more at grassroots level. The argument that football is a market based product like any other i find a bit misleading. In this country not everything is in the market, we all have free access to healthcare, we all have schooling. While football isn't equal to these it needs to be treated less as a profit driven business and more as a collaboration with fans.

I don't have the biggest pockets in the world but i go when i can, i went to rotherham away the other night and have a half season ticket and that's because the prices are reasonable. I would hate to be a genuine arsenal supporter and see the reality of those prices. I'd hate to be in a situation where just for financial reasons i couldn't see my team play every other weekend. 

​I agree...but success brings demand and demand puts up prices...back to my promotion dilemma again.

Your notion of a fan- driven collaborative approach is the ideal but whilst the real power (i.e. money) lies with the TV companies anything clubs do for fans, even the excellent work currently being done at Derby, is as much for PR as it is for anything else.

oh well...so long as we beat Wednesday I can stop worrying about football's future :-)

I was in the garden this morning and came in and decided I'd fancy going to the match, something I rarely do on match days, normally I'd plan in advance. Logged on to the website and saw the prices, decided not to. I'd have thought I'm not being a skin flint to expect to watch DCFC vs. SWFC in the second tier for £30 or less. I know how the demand based pricing works and so with a big gate today I understand how they arrive at the price and fair play to anyone who pays it, not for me though.

Archived