Ra

Duracell

Hard to say on one game, he looked pretty solid but could have said that about Bragstad on his first game I seem to recall, promising first game in a system that didn't really suit the team I'd say.

the system suited Christie, think he'll shine in that role but it didn't suit Forsyth at all. I could see ibe playing that role (whether or not he can play the defensive aspect of it I'm not sure) but he's cleared off back to Liverpool :(

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did we think of him yesterday? Thought he looked very comfortable on the ball and unlike Keogh and Buxton he tried playing the ball up rather than around the back. Made some very good tackles, only negatives I'd say is his kick to Christie that went out and how he tend to lay off attackers.. But mind you I'm not a defender... Seems a good buy though so far!

Looked a decent defender but hard to say on 1 game though.

A conundrum for McClaren I reckon. He'll take time to settle, and during that period he'll cost us goals. That could cost us promotion. However, I think he'll go on to be better than any of our other centre halves, so the more game time he gets, the better for us long term.

There was a worse one when Keogh mistimed his jump first half and was coming back down when the ball reached him and he went undernearth it by some considerable margin!

Not sure Mac definitely implied Keogh and Buxton would start on Tuesday, I thought he meant he would go with what he knew for this game with a view to picking a team for midweek, that could also mean he was holding Albentosa back until then and he was still making the choice about who partners him. But we'll see.

If Albentosa is going to be first choice would play him straight away really as its the period where we don't have Thorne or Eustace where the defence might otherwise creak.

There was a worse one when Keogh mistimed his jump first half and was coming back down when the ball reached him and he went undernearth it by some considerable margin!

Not sure Mac definitely implied Keogh and Buxton would start on Tuesday, I thought he meant he would go with what he knew for this game with a view to picking a team for midweek, that could also mean he was holding Albentosa back until then and he was still making the choice about who partners him. But we'll see.

If Albentosa is going to be first choice would play him straight away really as its the period where we don't have Thorne or Eustace where the defence might otherwise creak.

Albentosa and Shotton then or Albentosa and Whitbread or Albentosa and Buxton or Albentosa and Keogh

Combinations which Steve will have to decide on but it's good to have competiton for places.

PS Steve may opt for Keogh and Buxton for now though.

We will have to wait and see. Needs to be played in a proper formation. That formation we started the match with was absolutely horrendous. Omar was basically playing as a DM again. The CB's were far too narrow. The CB's were therefor not doing their duty on both flanks. As Omar was more DM, Hendrick and Hughes were too narrow, which meant they kept carving through our midfield as though it was not there and doubling up. As a result our full backs/wing backs were far too deep. All in all it was frankly horrendous. 

When you play that system the middle CB sits exactly in the middle. Any balls played into the middle they challenge for. When they are challenging for the ball, the two CB's either side must become more narrow and be in a deeper position. The natural position of the left and right CB is to be in line with the edges of the 18 yard box. This then means that the natural position of the full backs is stood on the the half way line, hugging the touchline. You play a left and right sided midfielder. One sat in the middle. The one who occupy's the middle dictates play. They are available for a pass always and can switch the ball from left to right and right to left. But they don't play as a DM.

Martin and Bent were spot on. Martin drags one CB out of position, Bent has more space and room to run. The opposition CB has very limited choices. He follows Martin all the way. Exposing massive space in behind himself which Bent will exploit. He moves up but doesn't follow Martin all the way, which allows the ball to be played over the top again or for Martin to turn on the ball and run at the CB with a two on two situation. The other option is to not alter his position what so ever. Which allows Martin all the time in the world to collect the ball, turn and run at the back two. 

I was getting frustrated because that formation if played how it is supposed to be played would tear other teams apart with the personnel we have. 

As a Rams fan who gets to far to few games I rely on you guys for info so let me ask you this,what was the crowds reaction to Raul's first game for Derby,did they get behind him,were they chanting his name around the stadium,was he given a proper Rams reception

We will have to wait and see. Needs to be played in a proper formation. That formation we started the match with was absolutely horrendous. Omar was basically playing as a DM again. The CB's were far too narrow. The CB's were therefor not doing their duty on both flanks. As Omar was more DM, Hendrick and Hughes were too narrow, which meant they kept carving through our midfield as though it was not there and doubling up. As a result our full backs/wing backs were far too deep. All in all it was frankly horrendous. 

When you play that system the middle CB sits exactly in the middle. Any balls played into the middle they challenge for. When they are challenging for the ball, the two CB's either side must become more narrow and be in a deeper position. The natural position of the left and right CB is to be in line with the edges of the 18 yard box. This then means that the natural position of the full backs is stood on the the half way line, hugging the touchline. You play a left and right sided midfielder. One sat in the middle. The one who occupy's the middle dictates play. They are available for a pass always and can switch the ball from left to right and right to left. But they don't play as a DM.

Martin and Bent were spot on. Martin drags one CB out of position, Bent has more space and room to run. The opposition CB has very limited choices. He follows Martin all the way. Exposing massive space in behind himself which Bent will exploit. He moves up but doesn't follow Martin all the way, which allows the ball to be played over the top again or for Martin to turn on the ball and run at the CB with a two on two situation. The other option is to not alter his position what so ever. Which allows Martin all the time in the world to collect the ball, turn and run at the back two. 

I was getting frustrated because that formation if played how it is supposed to be played would tear other teams apart with the personnel we have.

Agree, which is why I loved watching the first half from high up on half way line in west stand. We broke last their defence and clear thru on 3 occasions, and had some nearly balls intercepted and missed a couple of chances to release Bent. Playing a set way regulatly with Martin (or Dawkins or Hughes) just behind Bent is the way we are likely to go xx

In the south stand he got a good reception. Clapping his passing play etc. But not chanting his name.

Malagaram - not really much of a reception for him to be honest.

As a Rams fan who gets to far to few games I rely on you guys for info so let me ask you this,what was the crowds reaction to Raul's first game for Derby,did they get behind him,were they chanting his name around the stadium,was he given a proper Rams reception

No chanting of his name but I thought he received a fair amount of applause for the way he dealt with things in defence, especially his overhead kick clearance.

Thought Albentosa played the role well yesterday actually, was mobile and covered other players very well. IMO where the 3-5-2 failed was with Buxton and Keogh not coming over to cover properly when the ball was on a flank. If the wingback/wide midfielder is out of position the 3 defenders should shift across depending on the flank that is being attacked eg if the ball is going down the right flank then buxton should of moved into a LB position with Albentosa and Keogh moving into a standard 4-4-2 central position and vice versa.

No chanting of his name but I thought he received a fair amount of applause for the way he dealt with things in defence, especially his overhead kick clearance.

Thought Albentosa played the role well yesterday actually, was mobile and covered other players very well. IMO where the 3-5-2 failed was with Buxton and Keogh not coming over to cover properly when the ball was on a flank. If the wingback/wide midfielder is out of position the 3 defenders should shift across depending on the flank that is being attacked eg if the ball is going down the right flank then buxton should of moved into a LB position with Albentosa and Keogh moving into a standard 4-4-2 central position and vice versa.

You say it failed but we kept a clean sheet and, other than the first minute chance, restricted them to long range efforts.

I thought Keogh and Buxton did look a little nervy but that was the first time we have tried that formation.

I thought it was going forward where it did not look great.

What did we think of him yesterday? Thought he looked very comfortable on the ball and unlike Keogh and Buxton he tried playing the ball up rather than around the back. Made some very good tackles, only negatives I'd say is his kick to Christie that went out and how he tend to lay off attackers.. But mind you I'm not a defender... Seems a good buy though so far!

From what I saw of the video that was put up,he doesn't dive in.However,when he commits to the tackle he takes no prisoners.I've a feeling it was BC who liked his defenders to stay on their feet.

He was class, and you can clearly see how this is going to turn into Igor Part 2.

Not really sure how you can deduce that from 45 minutes.

He only really did one good thing but also one bad thing.

Looked steady and his passing looked neat.

I certainly don't see him being anything like Stimac. Think he will be more of a brute in defence that the sort of playing bringing the ball out from the back and starting moves.

You say it failed but we kept a clean sheet and, other than the first minute chance, restricted them to long range efforts.

I thought Keogh and Buxton did look a little nervy but that was the first time we have tried that formation.

I thought it was going forward where it did not look great.

Ok, failed is the wrong word, but you get what I mean.

Archived