The Greek Islands

Cisse

​Whereabouts? When?

My first holiday abroad was to Rhodes in 2003. Stayed in Faliraki, but hired a jeep and went exploring. Absolutely loved Lindos, but it was mental-hot! Always wanted to go back now I know what holidays are all about. At that point, I'd never been abroad, and hadn't been on a holiday since I was 15 (1991). I've made sure that I have at least 1 per year since.

I've been to Stalis 7 times since 2005, and in 16 days I go back for a fortnight. Been to Zante, Corfu and Rhodes too. Looking at maybe Kos for my 40th next year.

Getting married in Lindos. St Pauls bay in front of the chapel, September 2016. Still to pick a hotel for the holiday but I was going to hire a car and see as much of the island as possible so not sure where to stay. 

7 times is some going for a place abroad. The best holiday I ever had was Egypt, 40+ temperature and 22-30 in the evening was heaven, but I went back a year later to the exact same place and it wasn't that good apart from the scorching heat. Going to leave it ages before going Egypt again. 

Lindos is really popular for weddings. 

Think the in laws plan on taking a ferry over to Turkey. I'd like to do that if I have time and scope out Oludeniz for the near future. Looks like one of the most beautiful places on earth.

And completely off topic, while looking at wedding venues I came across Bled and Bled Castle in Slovenia. Now that looks like a must see. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wan't your ickle mutt was it daveo, i would say the best chish and fips are in Lincolnshire, along the seafront in skeggy, i went during the last school holidays and it took my 3 1/2 hours....fecking liberties

Cleethorpes Fitties, best caravans in Lincolshire, best fish and chips across the country and sea views....well it's technically an estuary but you see Ferries go past....and nappies....and dog poo

Been to Rhodes once, small resort called Tholos, Rhodes Town was great, walk through the old city walls and you are transported back in time, Palace of the Grand Knights well worth a visit, but avoid the Valley of the Butterflies, it's only when  you get there they explain they're giant moths! Who wants to see a valley of giant moths ffs.

Kos town nice, small island so possible to see everything in 2 weeks if so inclined.

Crete great, stayed just outside Stalis at the Grand Resort hotel, Stalis itself very nice, as are Agios Nikolas, Elounda and Spinalonga, the resort just above, Koutalafari (incorrect spelling I know), worth an evening visit too, all reachable by cheap public transport. Just the ***** on the transfer buses were a problem, would recommend a private transfer if you can.

Went to Zante, Kalimaki, last summer, didn't dislike it but neither did I love it, just a resort with no other reason for existing than tourism and turtles, did have a cracking continental bar which redeemed it somewhat.

I know it's not quite Greece, but off to Cyprus this summer. Been twice before to Ayia Napa, indeed renewed my wedding vows in the monastery there, has a rep but I really like it.

This year off to Paphos, as long as the hotel is finished on time that is, last time I stopped there was in the middle of nowhere, hoping for a bit more life this time.

Getting married in Lindos. St Pauls bay in front of the chapel, September 2016. Still to pick a hotel for the holiday but I was going to hire a car and see as much of the island as possible so not sure where to stay. 

7 times is some going for a place abroad. The best holiday I ever had was Egypt, 40+ temperature and 22-30 in the evening was heaven, but I went back a year later to the exact same place and it wasn't that good apart from the scorching heat. Going to leave it ages before going Egypt again. 

Think the in laws plan on taking a ferry over to Turkey. I'd like to do that if I have time and scope out Oludeniz for the near future. Looks like one of the most beautiful places on earth.

And completely off topic, while looking at wedding venues I came across Bled and Bled Castle in Slovenia. Now that looks like a must see. 

Not sure if you still have to slip the customs a tenner in cash as you go past anymore?

havent they joined the eu now?

im talking about nipping to Turkey.

​It is the most beautiful place within 4 hours of the UK.... been there about 10 times:ph34r:

It's an amazing place. i would highly recommend it.

It's an amazing place. i would highly recommend it.

You've been? Did you go in winter or summer? Obviously the first thought is summer but then I saw it in the winter brochure when the snow had settled. 

You've been? Did you go in winter or summer? Obviously the first thought is summer but then I saw it in the winter brochure when the snow had settled. 

​Summer. The swimming in the lake is excellent. Top place. Rest of Slovenia is great too.

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

Santorini, absolutely stunning, especially north of the island.

And of course with its history, attracting seismologists, geologists, volcanologists and the like, it qualifies as a Geek island too.

Archived