The Greek Islands

Cisse

Malia is leaking out into the rest of the island. People go to other areas of Crete and treat it like it's Malia. It did used to be much nicer so I've heard from my parents. They went some 20 years back.

I'm not saying to NOT go to Crete, I liked it there. Zante might be a better option if he's after somewhere quiet. But Crete is nice.

Whoever told you that is full of crap. There are too many holiday makers there in Malia with hardly any money, there are only 3 or 4 towns/resorts that are within scooter/quad distance, and that's only the north of the island. The south has a different airport and virtually no tour operators package holidays there. Crete is MASSIVE. I go to the next resort along from Malia, mainly so I can go people watching in Malia a couple of times during the holiday, and it's very relaxed in the evening.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever told you that is full of crap. There are too many holiday makers there in Malia with hardly any money, there are only 3 or 4 towns/resorts that are within scooter/quad distance, and that's only the north of the island. The south has a different airport and virtually no tour operators package holidays there. Crete is MASSIVE. I go to the next resort along from Malia, mainly so I can go people watching in Malia a couple of times during the holiday, and it's very relaxed in the evening.

Is that Hersonissos you refer to there? If so, that is where my parents went to the first time they went and they loved it. When we went back we saw it and it was a complete dump. We then ended up back there on this island tour we went on and the tour guide was a local, who confirmed exactly what I said. It ended up a dump because it was trying to be more like their neighbours.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, and as I said I'm not saying to not go there, just not exactly known for being quiet and peaceful.

Is that Hersonissos you refer to there? If so, that is where my parents went to the first time they went and they loved it. When we went back we saw it and it was a complete dump. We then ended up back there on this island tour we went on and the tour guide was a local, who confirmed exactly what I said. It ended up a dump because it was trying to be more like their neighbours.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, and as I said I'm not saying to not go there, just not exactly known for being quiet and peaceful.

I go to Stalis, which is in between Hersonnisos and Malia.

• 2 months later...

The furthest I have been is Newqay great place went out down town was a bit of a sausage fest thoe. Nice beach and sea. Stuck up people but great place nonetheless been once.

Skegvegas I can recommend been there a few times decent holiday on a decent budget lol.

I need a decent job you guys are privileged lol

The furthest I have been is Newqay great place went out down town was a bit of a sausage fest thoe. Nice beach and sea. Stuck up people but great place nonetheless been once.

Skegvegas I can recommend been there a few times decent holiday on a decent budget lol.

I need a decent job you guys are privileged lol

Love it, been a few times. I won't go near Malia anymore though. They're a pain when they're nicking all the sunbeds but when you get three of the cnuts with subtle swastika and eagle tattoos following you down beach paths you know you're in trouble.

• 1 month later...

Getting married in Rhodes next year.

Due to a lack of popularity I'm looking to hire family and friends. 

Oooh is that an invite?

You can be best man. Her side has 23 people.

Mine has 2. and they aren't even my parents!! I'm close to buying people. I was going to see if Jamie Ward had owt on.

I accept. I'm working on me speech now.

Getting married in Rhodes next year.

Due to a lack of popularity I'm looking to hire family and friends. 

​Whereabouts? When?

My first holiday abroad was to Rhodes in 2003. Stayed in Faliraki, but hired a jeep and went exploring. Absolutely loved Lindos, but it was mental-hot! Always wanted to go back now I know what holidays are all about. At that point, I'd never been abroad, and hadn't been on a holiday since I was 15 (1991). I've made sure that I have at least 1 per year since.

I've been to Stalis 7 times since 2005, and in 16 days I go back for a fortnight. Been to Zante, Corfu and Rhodes too. Looking at maybe Kos for my 40th next year.

Archived