Are we now favourites for automatics?

Bris Vegas

Had we lost today, I would have said no. But now I think we are.

Got some favourable fixtures too:

Home games against: 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 24th

Away games against: 1st, 7th, 9th, 11th, 15th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd

Compare that to Middlesbrough who have 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 12th of the top half to play away.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby and Ipswich for the autos imo.

Ipswich will still go on being solid and patient. Despite today it does take some craft and skill to open them up and half the teams don't have that. Hard working, quality defence, patient and disciplined side.

Bournemouth aren't up there by fluke but I don't think they're as good as Derby and will just miss out in 3rd.

Ipswich won't go away imo. Probably only lose 6 or 7 all season.

Be interesting to see how Bournemouth respond after losing to a 10 man team today. They've had the momentum and caught a few sides at the right time but today could be a dent to their confidence.

They are obviously a good side, every game we've had with them since they came up has been a tough battle despite us winning each one (I think), but I don't think they've got the depth of squad that we have or the know how and boringness if you like of Ipswich.

I predict:

1. Us

2. Ipswich

3. Boro

4. Bournemouth

5. Watford

6. Norwich

Second favourites behind Bournemouth but I expect that to change in the coming weeks. Frankly, I've believed all season we'd finish in the top two & I've not seen anything to dissuade me. Yes, we've lost a few more away games than we'd have liked but we've also won at Watford & Ipswich - I'd be surprised if any other club in the division emulates that.

I look through our squad now & I see so much quality at this level & alternatives if things aren't going well. Martin ineffective up top - stick Darren Bent on to stretch defences instead. Mascarell for games where we need to break down teams with 11 men behind the ball, Eustace to shore us up for physical away games. Russell & Ibe not peforming, bring Dawkins & Ward in. Bryson & Shotton on the bench too...I reckon we could field 2 pretty strong XI's for this division - its a fantastic situation to be in. I don't think any of the other teams around us could claim the same.

I still think there's some rough spells to come - as an "open" team, we'll lose more than teams traditionally finishing top two would do & it may cost us the chance to be Champions. But we are going up.

In my opinion if you want proof of how well McClaren has done here you first look at results and then you look at strength in depth.

Shotton, Bryson, Ward, Dawkins, Bent - all of these would make most sides in this league, and today they were deemed not good enough to start.

For this reason we have to be one of the favourites to go up. Name another side in this league that can boast that sort of strength in depth. I don't think Bournemouth, Ipswich or Boro can.

Home games against: 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 24th

Compare that to Middlesbrough who have 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 12th of the top half to play away.

That analysis shows me we have about half a season remaining of football. Pundit in the making.

Top two is enough. I like the idea of being second favourites. Still promoted but without the added pressure that being favourite brings. 

Will be interesting to see what happens with Bournemouth now. They have been flying high with everyone saying "they will fall away". Will a home defeat against 10 men put a seed of doubt in the players minds? Interesting to see.

I think after today we are more likely to get automatic than not. Dunno what the bookies say.

That analysis shows me we have about half a season remaining of football. Pundit in the making.

TBF those who say we cant beat teams in the top 6 should note we only have one more team to play away from the top 6. It is very hard to win away against a top 6 team, so today was a massive win.   

The odds currently stand at, and this is the best price you can currently get:

Winner:

Bournemouth - 13/5

Derby - 3/1 (15/5 compared to Bmouth)

Boro - 5/1

Ipswich - 7/1

Norwich - 14/1

Watford - 20/1

Promotion:

Derby - 8/13

Bournemouth - 8/11

Boro - 21/20

Ipswich - 2/1

Norwich - 3/1

Watford - 5/1

As it stands they reckon us and Bournemouth up. Bournemouth more likely to win the league than us but less likely to go up than us. (???)

TBF those who say we cant beat teams in the top 6 should note we only have one more team to play away from the top 6. It is very hard to win away against a top 6 team, so today was a massive win.   

Norwich will be top 6 by the time we play them. They are the most talented team in this league IMO.

Still think Boro and us will go up, Ipswich 3rd and Bornemouth 4th, Norwich 5th and Watford 6th.

I know ITFC were second so have got there on merit but can't see them making the automatic spots just think they are a little short on quality. Bearing in mind our options of GT coming back, Albentosa joining and Bent scoring potential we should get better at the most important time. Not sure how this is relevant but interesting (perhaps) that of the play off sides last season two are now in the bottom four just shows how we've come back stronger just like SM said we would

Archived