Derby County v Notts Forest

Gritstone Ram

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClaren was out thought by Pearce hugely. Very, very poor by McLaren in not doing anything about it for so long.

The players were out fought by Forest disgracefully. The sight of Christie ambling back as they attacked for their deserved winning goal made my blood boil.

Keogh again needs to calm down when defending. He needs to play on his feet, he has no need to do what he did yet again today by sitting on his butt to clear a ball; totally out of control and hence it went off his shin. He is 90% OK and 10% disaster - his disaster moments are to costly for us.

Why were we continually passing balls up to Martin too high, get the passes below his chin and he will hang onto it. Mascarell had a decent first half when Hughes was available. Nice and tidy, picked up the ball and moved it on. He also got some nice interceptions in. He fell away in the second half when Messrs. Bryson & Hendrick were doing whatever they were doing (not what they were supposed to be doing). For me, Buxton, Forsyth, Russell and first half Mascarell did well. The rest were a shambles.

Even more disappointing than that is the sense that we are still not ready for the Premier League.

The squad seems stronger and of course we have 2 new defenders to come in. But a few injuries and we seem to go into a tailspin.

We need to get the balance right in midfield and I am worried we have 2 CDMs out injured.

McClaren was out thought by Pearce hugely. Very, very poor by McLaren in not doing anything about it for so long.

The players were out fought by Forest disgracefully. The sight of Christie ambling back as they attacked for their deserved winning goal made my blood boil.

Keogh again needs to calm down when defending. He needs to play on his feet, he has no need to do what he did yet again today by sitting on his butt to clear a ball; totally out of control and hence it went off his shin. He is 90% OK and 10% disaster - his disaster moments are to costly for us.

Why were we continually passing balls up to Martin too high, get the passes below his chin and he will hang onto it. Mascarell had a decent first half when Hughes was available. Nice and tidy, picked up the ball and moved it on. He also got some nice interceptions in. He fell away in the second half when Messrs. Bryson & Hendrick were doing whatever they were doing (not what they were supposed to be doing). For me, Buxton, Forsyth, Russell and first half Mascarell did well. The rest were a shambles.

Hughes did Ok of course apart from getting injured.

Agree wholeheartedly with you BV and your earlier eloquent post.

I wrote a few words last week regarding the fundamental (crucial) role that i and others believe Eustace plays in the team, not just the very simple things that he does (sometimes 3rd central defender, the breaking up of opposition flow, the right placed simple short passes) but also his overall leadership and calm direction to those around him)....today's 2nd half disintegration re-emphasizes his importance & effect, though I recognise compounded by Hughes going off.

We are a materially weaker team without either of Eustace or Thorne in the side and we have at least 5 leagues games (4 weeks) before Thorne returns (optimistic) and 10 league games (8 weeks) for Eustace.

If SMc retains OMG, he has to support him with a player by his side.

My other observation from today was .... why oh why was Bent brought on on the right hand side of a 3? He is a number 9...surely his position will be in front of Martin (who would fall back play a number 10-type role {though not sure he is a good enough 10}) or in place of Martin.

The fact is that the holding midfield player is an important job,far too important for the 2 players we have.OMG

is too inexperienced and not good enough as yet.Eustace is an average journeyman ,who, at 35 doesn't

have the legs.Which is responsible for his mis-timed tackles and petty fouls which leads to free-kicks,bookings

and red cards.We really need to buy or loan a good'un.

We also need to replace Ibe,he was missed badly,and would imo have played an important part in the run-in

to promotion.

We have had a setback.

I sometimes have a bad day at the office. I don't concentrate as well as I should, I don't think as clearly as I sometimes do. I act too impulsively and fire off an email I normally wouldn't.  It doesn't continue. The day passes. I start performing as I can again.

Today our team had a bad day. The team will recover and will start playing well again.

There is no need to go OTT and look for some reason that our team has suddenly become bad or that a player isn't up to it.  It hasn't and the players can be as good tomorrow as they were when we beat Brum and Ipswich.

What will help them is if we cheer them to the roof at the next match. And show them the proper meaning of the word "Supporter"

He certainly mouthed something in objection when the East Stand fans had a go at him when he misplaced the pass to Christie, not sure what it was though from where I was (quite high up).

I was in the East Stand and only saw that he was having a go at Christie for not moving to his ball. That went on a bit too long though, he kept barking at him.

Grant 5 - difficult for keepers but he didn't particularly command the box or inspire confidence. Both shots went thro him.

Christie - 5 hot and cold. Awol for the second goal

Forsyth - 6 dealt well with Antonio, strong but unable to support the attack.

Keogh - 5 stay on your feet ffs. Allowed osborn to shoot.

Buxton - 5 looked nervous. Could have conceded a penalty by wrestling assombalonga

Mascarell 5 - 6 first half , 4 second half. Chickened out of the 50:50 for the winner

Bryson 4 - i love him but what exactly did he contribute bar one shot that won the corner

Hughes 7 - just makes everything tick.

Russell 6.5 - works his nuts off, kept going

Martin 5 - mixed performance. Won some free kicks but didn't achieve much

Ward 6 - i thought he did ok.

Hendrick 4 - not good

Bent - 4 a passenger barely touched it.

Schteve and simmo - 4 poor set plays, seemed unable to respond tactically - see middlesboro away.

We have had a setback.

I sometimes have a bad day at the office. I don't concentrate as well as I should, I don't think as clearly as I sometimes do. I act too impulsively and fire off an email I normally wouldn't.  It doesn't continue. The day passes. I start performing as I can again.

Today our team had a bad day. The team will recover and will start playing well again.

There is no need to go OTT and look for some reason that our team has suddenly become bad or that a player isn't up to it.  It hasn't and the players can be as good tomorrow as they were when we beat Brum and Ipswich.

What will help them is if we cheer them to the roof at the next match. And show them the proper meaning of the word "Supporter"

What happens if it doesn't go right and we hit a bad patch and start to slide down?We might need more than

cheering,and can't leave it too late.I'm watching Newcastle right now,if noise worked they would be top,not

losing to the Saints.

Would Shotton in defence or Dawkins on the wing instead of Ward have helped?

Probably not. We were always going to lose today with a performance like that,

Yes - was willing Dawkins on after an hour as it was clear we were struggling to keep the ball & needed more in midfield - Ward is basically an auxiliary striker & his propensity to attack, rather than retain possession, was causing problems.

There was definitely a case for Shotton replacing Christie late on as CC wasn't fully engaged with the defensive side of his position at all.

I am really not to bothered about losing to Forest. At the end of the day the exact same points are up for grabs as any other game. What disappointed me the most was the second half performance. Without certain players we look bang average. The hardest thing for me to take today was that every down to 8th gained 3 points on us.

Lowest point of the season thus far I think. No immediate opportunity to bounce back for a least 10 days is a shame. A pointless banana-skin fixture next weekend doesnt help matters.

My Ratings.

Grant - 5 - Not much to do but pick the ball out of the net. As one of the 'senior' team member why hoof it miles in the 91st min

Christie - 4 - I would like to know his explanation for being at RW at the end of the game. Was nullified most of the game.

Keogh - 5- Looked great first half, lacking conviction in the 2nd. Sometimes I wish we still had shackell

Bucko - 5 - Severe lack of pace Assombalonga gave him the runaround all day. At least he was vocal though.

Forsyth - 6 - Had a good game I though kept Antonio generally under wraps. Struggled with delivery when further up the pitch

Mascarell - 4 - Not cut out for this division passing isn't great either, if it wasn't for injuries I would say send him back to Madrid

Bryson - 5 - Chasing shadows offered very little

Hughes - 8 - Our best player losing him cost us the game

Russell - 7 - Good effort as always great closing down of their winger shame he was on the left hand side for the winner.

Ward - 6 - Still getting back to full fitness. He is no Jordan Ibe though.

Martin - 6 - Lack of service made it hard but missed his one chance kept getting us free kicks though

Subs:

Hendrick - 3 - I struggle to find the words to describe his performance. One of the worst I have ever seen. Total lack of composure for 45 mins, Aimless running around. Poor passing. Totally hopeless.

Bent - 4 - Not a right winger. Either play him down the middle or not at all. Didnt really get into the game.

At Boro Martin was a spectator as we lost the midfield.

Bringing best on meant we had two spectators up front.

He did it again today.

Bent came on - barely got a touch - doesn't track back like Russell.

We look worse not better.

When we are under the cosh we need the wide men need to drop deeper to help protect the back four and reinforce the midfield until we can get a grip.

Another centre forward isn't the answer.

The job of a midfielder is to make yourself available to receive passes. 

To say the game went on around Bryson suggests he was unlucky or something. He, along with Hendrick in the second half, simply didn't make themselves available for a pass.

It was so easy for Forest to just mark Mascarell and then it was a simple case of winning the second balls.

Sometimes you go away from matches just accepting that the better team won and you pcik yourselves up. I'm not really bothered that it Forest who beat us, I'm just bitterly disappointed in that second half midfield showing.

******** and what I'd expect from you , bottom line was Bryso was as ineffective second half as he was good the first half but that's through no fault of his or jeffs for that matter , iniesta and Xavi would not have touched it second half as mascarell and the back 4 sat far too deep and when in possession of the ball humped it 30-40 yards to an ineffective Chris Martin , mascarell will never be a holding midfielder in this league and could not lace John Eustaces boots , the ball was never on the deck second half and played into forest hands who were deserved winners

Bullshit and what I'd expect from you , bottom line was Bryso was as ineffective second half as he was good the first half but that's through no fault of his or jeffs for that matter , iniesta and Xavi would not have touched it second half as mascarell and the back 4 sat far too deep and when in possession of the ball humped it 30-40 yards to an ineffective Chris Martin , mascarell will never be a holding midfielder in this league and could not lace John Eustaces boots , the ball was never on the deck second half and played into forest hands who were deserved winners

Are you trying to defend Bryson's performance? Really? It's no exaggeration when I say, that's one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever seen in a Derby shirt. Marginally beating Hendrick's.

Good in the first half? He barely touched the ball. You claim to know him personally, can I have his number please? I've got a few things I'd like to say to him.

Are you trying to defend Bryson's performance? Really? It's no exaggeration when I say, that's one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever seen in a Derby shirt. Marginally beating Hendrick's.

Good in the first half? He barely touched the ball. You claim to know him personally, can I have his number please? I've got a few things I'd like to say to him.

Bryson had a nothing game, but balls were just hoofed around and he's not exactly king of the air is he? The defence constantly pumped and bypassed the midfield. And you're blind if you missed his great little runs in the first half. He doesn't always get the ball but he's always part of that intricate and dangerous passing we do.  i  presume you don't see those runs at all. 

Archived