Do you feel libraries are needed and important to society?

AmericanRam

Libraries  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I am sure most of you know, one of my biggest passion's is libraries, so just wanted to see what everyone thought about them.  No offense taken with whatever choice you choose, I just wanted to get a general idea of what everyone felt about them for my own future use. :)

I for one think that libraries are quite important in terms of helping people with job searches, copying and faxing, research they have to do , etc.  The same especially works in the case of college students, and with children also in terms of helping with their literacy levels, getting them familiar with the idea  of hanging out and playing with children their own age, etc.

Also for those(like me) who love to read, the library enables them to fulfill that without having to shell out tons of money on books (print or audio) from Barnes & Noble and similar stores. I for one if I had to buy all the books I read, would spend well over $300 per month...whereas from the library, I can read them all for free.

Another reason I am asking this is because several libraries in NC are thinking about closing, and that is very much a shame imo. I know some may say with the innovation of e-books and sites such as Google people can do all of these things from home and that libraries have lost some of their value in that regard and that is their opinion.

Thanks mates.  As I said, no worries from me with whichever way you vote or however you comment. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I can tell libraries are mainly being used for the free internet. You can buy any book you want for 1p plus postage so I don't know if book loans are still needed. In fact, I sometimes wonder how hygienic it is to share a book between hundreds of people.

I was a regular truant at school. Where did I go? The Wardwick Library. I learned more there than I ever did at school. When I got tired of reading I would go for a stroll around the museum. The stuffed fox there knew me very well. Sometimes one of old museum attendants would ask me why I wasn't at school and I would tell them I was doing a project. That would satisfy them and they would go back to staring into space and thinking about Steve Bloomer or perhaps The First World War.

In those days a library would buy one book and that one copy would be read by hundreds. The authors wouldn't get anything extra so they would complain, but everybody else thought there was nothing wrong with it. You have the same situation today with one ebook being bought and copied and then others reading it for free. Yet today that is called piracy, but it is no different to how libraries used to work.

Uni library is far too hot, terrible place.

Yeah, our Uni library is boiling too. Probably because it is filled with so many attractive ladies.

Mine too, might as well study inside the Eden Project.

Have you agree with you on that point RLACML, for some reason, every single girl in the library seems attractive? Quite hard to get something going in a silent environment though.

Mine too, might as well study inside the Eden Project.

Have you agree with you on that point RLACML, for some reason, every single girl in the library seems attractive? Quite hard to get something going in a silent environment though.

There was the guy on twitter who saw a girl playing football manager in the library, he tried to chat her up. I dont think it went well.

I think it's because of what they wear. Usually very casual, little make up and hair is quite often in a bun. For my sort of girl, that's when I think they look their best. I get the impression that you like a similar type of girl.

As for talking, no chance. I just awkwardly smile and hope to meet them elsewhere. 

I think it's because of what they wear. Usually very casual, little make up and hair is quite often in a bun. For my sort of girl, that's when I think they look their best. I get the impression that you like a similar type of girl.

As for talking, no chance. I just awkwardly smile and hope to meet them elsewhere. 

That's the point though. They never look like that anywhere else. Same as those girls you see on campus - they're never in your lectures, and never seen on a night out - they just crawl out of the woodwork at certain times of day, walking around with their intelligent hairstyles and starbucks cups.

The reality is that during the night they turn into those groups of girls who look attractive but are incredibly dull, only going to house parties and nights out to get a new cover photo.

Sorry, where we again? Libraries. Ah yes. My uni one's pretty hot you know.

Archived