Do you feel libraries are needed and important to society?

AmericanRam

Libraries  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Well 10 libraries in North Carolina will be closed by the end of this year I just found out in an member bulletin from the NCLA due to budget constraints and money needs to be 'funneled' in another direction for the counties these libraries are in, etc. Bananas.

All told these libraries average about 5-7k patrons per week, and have been really helpful in their community in regards to food drives, blood drives, literacy, clothing drives, etc. It is a shame they are closing down. One of them was where I actually did my internship at during my Master's degree, and I know the librarians who work there; hopefully they can find employment somewhere else.

I fear that more in the next several years could follow, especially in the rural areas of NC. Travesty I say, as imo libraries are quite important to society.

Anyway, depressing day for me this upon hearing this news, but tbh when looking at budget numbers and reports from the NCLA over the past several months, not wholly shocking.

Archived