Our Strongest Team

Thorne

Might be some difference in opinion

Grant

Christie. Keogh. Buxton. Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes. Bryson

Ward. Martin. Dawkins/Russell

Haven't included Ibe. Ibe is good for attacking threat but he's far too naive. Too young, too inexperienced. Yesterday just proved, when Dawkins is fit and playing at he's best we remember those flashes of brilliance last year. Russell offers something a little different and his work rate impresses me. Should be scoring more.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hendrick for bryson imo. Byrson hasn't hit the heights of last season while hendrick is getting better and better with each game and now as the experience of playing against the world champions germany and assisting the goal in that game which has helped his confidence.

For ability: Grant, Christie, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Martin, Ibe

Russell offers assists, more so than Dawkins and Ward. Ibe is the most talented out of the wingers, but certainly needs to grow. I'm sure if we persevere with him then he will grow and learn and at the back end of the season we could have the most dangerous winger in the league. 

Dawkins in for Bryson? Something to mull over, certainly.

But, based purely on ability, that would be my team. 

hendrick for bryson imo. Byrson hasn't hit the heights of last season while hendrick is getting better and better with each game and now as the experience of playing against the world champions germany and assisting the goal in that game which has helped his confidence.

I agree that Bryson isn't in as good form as Hendrick atm but based on scoring 16 goals for us last season I've gone with Bryson over Hendrick. I see Hendrick getting over 10 goals this season though. Bryson has to play well or he will get started over Hendrick.

I really do rate hendrick. I may get a lot of hate but imo he will have a more successful career than hughes.

Slightly harsh on Hughes. Hughes annoys me that he is great for the u21s nationally then comes back to us tired. I don't get the tired argument. It's not like he has anything else to do. He's 19 too, he's supposed to have more energy than someone who's in their thirties. Wouldn't see anyone in Clough's (Brian) complain about being tired.

Grant

Christie         Keogh            Shotton               Forsyth

Mascarell

Hughes        Bryson                            

Russell                   Martin                 Ward

Grant

Christie

Buxton

Keogh

Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes

Bryson

Russell

Martin

Dawkins

Can see why Ibe is highly rated. His ability isn't a problem. It's his eyesight and brain. When he figures out the when and where to use what he's got then it'll look silly looking back on a time when fans of a Championship club were calling for his head.

He's still learning but that's not really helping us when we've got a promotion to fight for. So learn faster

Grant

Christie Keogh Buxton Forsyth

Thorne

Hendrick Bryson

Ward Martin Russell

Buxton's passing gets him in in front of Whitbread and Shotton. With Thorne we are better with the most mobile midfielders possible - so that's Bryson and Hendrick. With Eustace in we need Hughes's ability to retain possession and defensive qualities, so at present Bryson should be on the bench. The other interesting choice is the wide men. If Dawkins continues to play as he did last night he'll be in, but at present he is just behind Russell and Ward. Then out of a choice between Russell and Ward it would depend on Ward's form. Rubbish Jamie from last season and Russell gets the shirt. Super Jamie from this season and Ward starts. Ibe is just too much of a luxury.

Hughes would be my first choice out of the 3. Goals or not, neither Hendrick or Bryson can do what he does. So I'd always say it's Bryson v Hendrick. One has power to go with being a decent ball player. The other has lots of energy to go and support play at both ends to go with being a tidy ball player. Both can score goals. Hendrick likes to arrive late into blind spots, Bryson likes to run beyond forward players in sort of a risky/brave/exposed way. They're different but the same if you know what I mean? But Hughes? Hughes just gives the whole team time and space and direction. He's required less when the opponent is weaker but it doesn't hurt having him there. He's energetic, creative and looks even better when he's aggressive.

Ward v Russell is very tight. I can see why people would pick either. I think Russell is a faster Ward. Ward isn't really THAT quick. Russell is like Ward a few seasons ago when Ward was all we had to attack with. Similar players. Ward was in good form until injury so I guess you'd pick the one in better form. When both in form I'd say the only difference is Russell is faster and much better to counter attack.

Dawkins, offers a calmer more reliable outlet. He can be a hold up/target man if you give it to feet. It sticks. He brings others into play. Only criticism I've got would be he sometimes seems to enjoy the pretty stuff so much that he forgets the actual point of the game. He's sort of too nice. But the guy can play far better in tight areas than anyone else. He's always got his head up. Where Ward, Ibe and Russell all offer that less reliable burst of pace and enthusiasm, Dawkins is a more caring thoughtful player.

I bet he's a considerate lover but SRG won't tell.

He's Iniesta lite

Grant

Christie

Buxton

Keogh

Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes

Bryson

Russell

Martin

Dawkins

Can see why Ibe is highly rated. His ability isn't a problem. It's his eyesight and brain. When he figures out the when and where to use what he's got then it'll look silly looking back on a time when fans of a Championship club were calling for his head.

He's still learning but that's not really helping us when we've got a promotion to fight for. So learn faster

Couldn't agree more about Ibe.

Having said that, I cannot think of a better impact player playing outside of the top flight.

Grant

Christie         Keogh            Shotton               Forsyth

Mascarell

Hughes        Bryson                            

Russell                   Martin                 Ward

interesting that you've gone for Mascarell ahead of Thorne

The only criticism people could muster for Thorne is that he only played X amount of games for us but he's played more games for us than Omar. Any particular reason you went with the latter? :)

Slightly harsh on Hughes. Hughes annoys me that he is great for the u21s nationally then comes back to us tired. I don't get the tired argument. It's not like he has anything else to do. He's 19 too, he's supposed to have more energy than someone who's in their thirties. Wouldn't see anyone in Clough's (Brian) complain about being tired.

Huh, where did you read this out of interest?

Ward's goals (when he's fit) could be crucial for us. Ward, Hendrick, Dawkins all have the potential to score over 10 goals this season. To a lesser degree Russell and Hughes.

Dawkins has a better chance to score more goals than Russell? never in a million years.

interesting that you've gone for Mascarell ahead of Thorne

The only criticism people could muster for Thorne is that he only played X amount of games for us but he's played more games for us than Omar. Any particular reason you went with the latter? :)

Because I was just thinking in current terms, obviously once back and proven fully fit Thorne straight back in. Either way I think Eustace is showing his age lately, Thorne's pace and passing made a huge difference to our play last season.

Because I was just thinking in current terms, obviously once back and proven fully fit Thorne straight back in. Either way I think Eustace is showing his age lately, Thorne's pace and passing made a huge difference to our play last season.

Fair enough, glad you'd put Thorne in when fit

If you think about it, so far this season, form has changed for a number of players.

Particularly the midfield/wing/forward players.

Everyone of Ward, Russell, Dawkins, Hughes, Mascarell, Martin, Bryson, Eustace, Ibe and Best have all had great games, great spells in games or also had a bit of a shocker.

I'm not sure how Dawkins strengths and weaknesses match up to, say, Wards strengths and weaknesses.

In short, I find it hard to pick a 1st choice 11.

But that in itself is the reason why, at the moment, it's really is the best time to be a Rams fan, in a very long time.

Archived