Rose tinted

Alph

In 1972 there were tears and rumours of the end of the world as we knew it when the Rams lost at home to Newcastle when it seemed no one had the right to even a point against us at the BBG.

I were stunned, nay shocked, nay er stunned.

It helped that we still won the league but to say that that seemed unlikely is a euphemism!

COYR I say enjoy the ride, savour the moment, and let the destination take care of itself. (With the able assistance of Steve, Paul, Eric and the squad!).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1972 there were tears and rumours of the end of the world as we knew it when the Rams lost at home to Newcastle when it seemed no one had the right to even a point against us at the BBG.

I were stunned, nay shocked, nay er stunned.

It helped that we still won the league but to say that that seemed unlikely is a euphemism!

COYR I say enjoy the ride, savour the moment, and let the destination take care of itself. (With the able assistance of Steve, Paul, Eric and the squad!).

That team was amazing and we won the League under Brian Clough at the top level of English Football at the time.

Roy Mac and Zac and co played in that team come on.

This Derby team doesn't even compare in any way .

Think there is reason to be frustrated with our performances, we haven't played anywhere near as good as last season apart from Fulham and Blackburn but are grinding out results.

Almost drew against Blackpool

Drew with Millwall

Drew with Cardiff

Think there is reason to be frustrated with our performances, we haven't played anywhere near as good as last season apart from Fulham and Blackburn but are grinding out results.

Almost drew against Blackpool

Drew with Millwall

Drew with Cardiff

That's the point I'm trying to make. "Last season".

Go through the results last season. You'll see that the run in tints your views. We were frustrated at home last season. Just the fans didn't feel it because we didn't really expect to be winning anywhere near as much as we were. It was all new and exciting.

Fan's expectations coming into this season were understandably very high.  Became even higher when we signed Thorne. Of course, it then flipped to unsure thoughts about our chances when he got hurt;most wrote us off right there in terms of our promotion chances imo.

No matter that we are the best team(which I think we are no question) no team will go through as rough and tumble of a league that the Championship is without a few bumps along the way; that is the same for tons of other sports/leagues as well.  For instance, Celtic has been King of SPL for a long time now, but this season they have taken some lumps and are struggling but I still think they will win the SPL by 6+ points in the end.

I for one am quite excited about this team and proud of all our players for how they have put QPR behind them, and are focusing on the future.  No matter how frustrated we as fans may get, that does not compare to those who actually play the matches.

It is a great time to be a Ram.  Wigan will not be the last time we play bad and lose, and we just have to accept that and move on.  Because at the end of the season, our goals and dreams as fans,players,coaches, and everyone else associated with Derby will come true.

Keep the faith. #COYR.

No the home games have been boring to watch apart from cup games.

Off to Alfreton to watch U21s much more fun

PS Daveo how many games have you been to lol

Saturday wasn't boring? Wigan constantly looked to create?

Or do you mean it's boring when other teams park the bus? Because that's not really our fault is it? All we can do is tempt them out, try and use width to create room and just make them work until a chance comes.

Was you bored last season at these games?

Birmingham draw

Wigan lost

Brighton late winner

QPR large scrappy periods few chances

Bournemouth late free kick winner

Millwall lost

Bolton draw and a disappointing week

Amongst those games and after those games were dominating convincing wins. But frustrating games existed. Just like this season.

Our total home record this season is

P9

W5

D3

L1

GF 14

GA 6

And you're fed up?

Don't get me wrong, I get frustrated with the opposition!! But until Saturday I really can't complain about Derby. Composed, patient and dominant.

The funny thing is this: we're top of the league this early on in the season and yet people are still complaining...

If you'd have offered me this position in August, I'd have bitten your hand off. We had to deal with: 'Playoff hangover', a new found sense of expectation, teams no longer underestimating us and arguably playing differently against us.

Despite having all this thrown our way, we're top of the league and looking in fairly good form to stay there. Okay, Wigan was a blip but you can't honestly expect to win every game. Wigan are hard to beat and still have premier league talent within their ranks, as well as being a bogey team for us.

Yes, it was frustrating watching the game due to the poor performance but I've no doubt we'll bounce back and put a real shift in against Fulham tommorow and then Brentford on Saturday.

I'm really enjoying going to games now and watching some of the best football we've seen in years. It's just an added bonus that we're getting results as well.          :)

Match of The Day 50th Celebration last week, 1978 / 79 Goal of The Season at Baseball Ground, Ray Kennedy strolls around on a muddy pitch and taps it in. We look great in our white Le Coq Sportif shirts.

Right now we are top of the league, and still in both cups and I'm relaxing having a Belgium pale beer from the Aberdeenshire wonderful Six Degrees North brewery. The brewery's processes provide the aspirational drinker with a live, full and uncompromising experience that will continually evolve. As for Derby County Football Club it's up to you to choose whether or not to enjoy them continually evolving.

Up the Rams.........Top, Top, Top, Top of the League!

I think there's been quite a lot of criticism etc this season. We should play this formation, that formation, drop him, sell him. Players who aren't good enough from the top of my head;

Christie

Keogh

Ward

Dawkins

Martin

Eustace

Now I'm not saying we're perfect and that's kind of the point of this thread. I think people have a rose tinted view of last season. I think we'll win the Championship and I think we're the best team in it. But the expectation and overreaction to poor results is crazy.

Everything we do now is compared to how we played in that run in and more importantly when we found our perfect balance with George Thorne. We looked a class above. The performance levels were like 100% at times. Especially Brighton at home where you can't really imagine that team playing any better. Everyone was at their best.

But that wasn't "last season". When people talk about not performing to the levels we set last season there's a whole bunch of games where we are much more comparable especially at home where people seem to base most their judgment and just acknowledge away results. There's away games too.

Boro (2-1) similar sort of performance to games this season. I'd call them the performances of the best team in the league but it was criticised. So it's here to remind everyone that despite being the best team in the league... we are in this league. Where we belong

Charlton (2-0) scrappy affair where a typically awful Ward FK managed to fluke it's way in.

Huddersfield (1-1) Played quite well but lost our way. Cisse who was a saviour just a couple of weeks earlier came on and we were quite ragged

Barnsley was a week later and I'm just mentioning that so I can try to make a point later

Wigan (0-1) we all remember?

Leicester (1-4) "

Brighton (1-0) one of our poorer home performances in the latter part of 13/14

Yeovil (3-2) think of the 2-2 with Cardiff. Wasn't even as good as that performance.

QPR (1-0) quite a scrappy game really. We had our moments but it wasn't dominant

Millwall (0-1) yep. Millwall and Bolton in one week. As we all look back on last season we tend to see past this week

Bolton (0-0) I can't remember if there were cries to play the 32014 formation and play Sammon as an inside attacking anchor man but clearly it's all going wrong. We should be booing

Then came the run in where the standard was superb BUT we still lost to Ipswich and Boro.

-----

Basically I think expectations are unrealistic (and I expect to win the league and win the possession battle for about 40 games!!)

They're based on our memorable games last season and the run in.

We're not going to have it all our own way. We're only Derby. We haven't assembled a Champions League side here. If something isn't working out then that doesn't mean it's broken. We don't need 5 new players and to play 411112. Ward, Dawkins, Martin are good enough.

We'll have sticky patches. We'll have lucky patches. We'll have dominant patches. That doesn't matter who we buy and sell on this message board or what formation McClaren should have played.

Russell up front? No. Martin is our striker. He's the top scorer. He works. It works. The system, the players, the subs, the style... It all works.

But we aren't Barcelona of 2010. We weren't Barcelona of 2010 last season either.

Just look through some of the threads this season and hearing some of the things on Saturday...

A bloke said to me "that's been coming for a while. We haven't really played well in a while"

We played quite well at Blackpool, Bolton, here v Cardiff...

But no, we aren't super awesome every week and we haven't been last season either no matter how you remember it.

Superb post, every word ! Probably the best I've read on here to date.

That team was amazing and we won the League under Brian Clough at the top level of English Football at the time.

Roy Mac and Zac and co played in that team come on.

This Derby team doesn't even compare in any way .

Spot on, you can't draw comparisons between two things unless they are alike in every way.

There were plenty of games like these home games last season. All seemingly forgotten. We didn't have a "plan b" then. It got us 3rd.

Now we're top without a plan b. nobody has won more than us.

This plan b bollux is, well, bollux.

Our play is based around keeping possession, knocking the ball about and either drawing the opposition out slowly or looking for that killer one two, or an overlap by Fozzy or Christie to give us that extra man.

Above all it needs patience from the players, if the killer ball is not on don't try it! Keep possession, keep probing gently like one of those extravagantly long bouts of foreplay you treat the missus to once a year... sorry, where was i, oh yes...it seems to me that we are only guilty of trying to score every time we gain possession, an admirable trait but unlikely to be successful.

Patience is the key, we don't have to dribble past opponents, we are more than capable of passing past them.

We need to caress and stroke our plan a and not resort to some quick, slam bam thank you plan (b).

Back to basics, for players and fans and we'll be promoted by easter!

I haven't been frustrated once with Derby this season, can honestly say that. Maybe it's because I never for a minute thought we would walk the league, I don't even think we will finish top 2, I also think we might not even make it to Wembley again but I'm ok with that, I'm just enjoying the football again. I'm enjoying the positive buzz around the club at the moment, yeah there's a few grumbling away but they are easy to ignore.

This thread will give them more exposure which is unfortunate but I will sleep easy tonight knowing they are in the 1% and will be up all night playing FIFA or Football Manager playing with formations and looking how good players are out of 20 for pace, tackling, stamina, trying to come up with solutions to problems that don't exist, Russell in DM for Saturday? Have we tried the asymmetric formation yet? Martin looks tired how about Spain's no striker formation...not the one where Torres plays, the other no striker one.

Fear not tho our home form will be fixed because they have Googled a FM whizz kid guide last night and there's this Bulgarian kid with 20 pace, he's only 17 with a 90 potential, not seen him play yet but they think he could do a job for us, we can pick him up for just 250k apparently....we have to be quick tho as Arsenal come in for him just before deadline day I'm told, we should place a bid before we click continue to Monday. Stop! Just please stop, you bunch of 1%er's!

Football Manager, FIFA, not Pro Evo as nobody plays it but Twitter, Facebook and Forums have a lot to answer for, they have all created hundreds of young Jose Mourinho's, itching to fix us when they should be putting more work into GCSE's which will be more helpful than looking for a replacement for Buxton, I get opening a gold pack on FIFA is more entertaining than pie charts in Maths but seriously it's a sausage game, they don't have any relevance to real life! There's no secret game going off whilst you watch that bar at the bottom of the screen, it's just code crunching away chucking out random GOAL WILL HUGHES HAS SCORED!!

But honestly I've barely noticed the 1%, do they think we should try a new formation by a chance?

Brilliant.

Best post I have come across for a while!

This plan b bollux is, well, bollux.

Our play is based around keeping possession, knocking the ball about and either drawing the opposition out slowly or looking for that killer one two, or an overlap by Fozzy or Christie to give us that extra man.

Above all it needs patience from the players, if the killer ball is not on don't try it! Keep possession, keep probing gently like one of those extravagantly long bouts of foreplay you treat the missus to once a year... sorry, where was i, oh yes...it seems to me that we are only guilty of trying to score every time we gain possession, an admirable trait but unlikely to be successful.

Patience is the key, we don't have to dribble past opponents, we are more than capable of passing past them.

We need to caress and stroke our plan a and not resort to some quick, slam bam thank you plan (b).

Back to basics, for players and fans and we'll be promoted by easter!

IMO we have plan iBe. One player who is capable to to dribble past opponents when their whole team is defending very deep.

Archived