Have you got a football mistress ?

Normanton End

One of the teams I still support is a Scottish club that went out of business decades ago. How is that possible? Well,I have a strange view about the meaning of time that I don't need to go into on this site. This team could beat any club in Scotland on their day but I doubt if the name would mean much to many on here. A corrupt director bankrupted the club so that he could use the ground for housing. The council foiled his plans and the ground is now a park where some of the old terracing can still be seen.

There was a photo in one of my football albums of a man and a boy, probably father and son, standing almost alone on that terrace at one of the club's last games. I think the attendance was the lowest recorded in that league. This was partly because of the way the club had been run, but it was also because it was a very wet and rainy day. The man and the boy looked soaked. But they must have been true fans and nothing would stop them watching their beloved team.

Many years later a young man was standing on that same terrace thinking about the now defunct and almost forgotten team when he noticed an old man leaning on a barrier further up the terrace. They started a conversation and after a while the young man pulled the photo of the man and boy, I have just mentioned, out of his bag. It is a well known photo.

As soon as he saw it the old man began to cry. He was that father and the boy, Wee Jamie, was his son.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Used to live in Swansea and got mates who are Jacks, even watched them from time to time when I lived there, so a definite "like", but it's not the same as DCFC, not even close.

My better half lives in Glasgow and I may well be exchanging my N.Wales exile for a Scottish one, in which case I may develop a "like" for the local <non-old-firm> team, but it'll never be the same. Never.

getting to Pride park 4-5 times a season and the odd away match when I can manage means more than any number of afternoons watching a team local to where I find myself. Wish Icould get more, but life, debt, work, geography and Lady Radioactive mean it is as it is. 

Coming to the Huddersfield game though. :D

If I ended up living near Brentford I wouldn't mind going there again. Nice old ground, pubs, friendly bunch.

They are moving to a new ground soon though so perhaps not.

In other news, I drove past a new stadium the other day..Colchester's ground. Bit different from that little place I went to a few years back. Think we lost 4-3 with a Lupoli hattrick? The game was most memorable for a horrible woman there continually screaming at Idiakez and calling him a c-word as it was rumoured he was leaving. He did as well, couldn't blame him after that abuse.

Mickleover Sports .....seen some ex Derby players over the years ....

Craig Ramage for 5 or 6 games ( before his knees truly gave up )

Wayne Sutton for a few seasons ( I ad followed his career snce watching him make his debut in FA Cup at Everton in circa 1995 )

Karl Ashton - played as a sub for us once

Mark Wilson - ex youth team, and once Reserve Team goalie

Andy Dales - from last years U21 team, and previous season's FA Youth Cup team.

Dan Martin - youth team and reserves before 80 odd league games at Notts County and Mansfield

Chris Palmer  -from our youth team / reserves about 6 or 7 years ago

I have a confession to make. DCFC is my football mistress. We've been having an affair since I moved down here in 1997 and finally moved in together not long after after we saw each other at a young farmers meeting. A load of Tractor boys were hanging around causing trouble but old Mac sorted them out I me and my mistress had a cracking night. I moved in with her at the start of the season. My wife who I love and comes from my home town knows about this but she is so busy looking at all the ornaments in her cabinets and spending loads of money overseas on her credit card that she doesn't seem to be that bothered. I still love her, I couldn't do without her but somehow it isn't the same as when we met in our younger days. My Grandad introduced us and we got married and toasted each other with Bovril and waggon wheels. We have had some great times and she will always be my love and my wife. meanwhile me and Miss DCFC are having a great time reliving our youth.

I also have a soft spot for Luton Town. My Nephew is from down there and I ve been to a few games. They were shabbily treated by the league and are fighting back towards respectability. The ground is a wonderful archaic dump and the fans are fiercely loyal. There is something earthily honest about clubs like Luton. I love flair football and they don't really do that but the world loves a trier.

Torquay Utd for me. I used to go on holiday there every year and used to go and watch them. That was in the days when their hero's were Robin Stubbs, John Smith and Jim Fryatt..

Jim Fryatt! Old time supporters always remember the names although their faces and clubs have been deleted. He occupies the same part of my brain as players like Bob Hatton, Andy Lockhead and Peter Noble. They are players who always looked useful and dangerous but who were never good enough to be internationals.

Jim Fryatt was up front with Kevin Hector at Bradford Park Avenue. Ronnie Bird, who later became a very useful Second Division player for Cardiff, was on the wing. If Bradford Park Avenue had held on to those players they wouldn't have gone bust.

I spent nearly15 years as a  Spirite as well as a Ram. The Police didn't like trying to cover both Derbyshire clubs on the same day so they went into the computer together and when one was Home the other was Away. I used to stand on the Cop at Saltergate watching Chesterfield but listening to the Rams.  I enjoyed being able to walk to the game, being able to stand and lean on a pole, watching young players on their way up and old players on their way down , and the general realism of lower league football. Instead of bouncing from game to game as a former Home and Away supporter my footballing life was better balanced but could be amazingly full in the second half of the season if one or both had been on a good Cup run or the winter weather had been bad and both were playing 'catch up'. - continuous weeks of Sat.,Tues,. Wed., Sat.............  For 10 years I was a double OAP season ticket holder.

I was loyal to both sides and excited at both grounds but if there was ever any conflict there was no question as to where my true colours lay  -    off on the train down to Derby -     and the only time I could bring myself to wear a Chessie scarf was at Old Trafford.

I am now a couch potato. When Chessie moved to the new ground I couldn't bear the pain of losing ramshackle Saltergate as I lost the Baseball ground. It took me many years to bury that pain and accept Pride Park as my home. So as Saltergate closed its gates my adventure with my hometown team ended .And now accessing the train has become none too safe so I have finally cried time  on what was an enormous part of my life   -     going to the match.   Nothing like it.  I have been spoilt,

Ps  -   I have always had a sneaky feeling for Arsenal......................

Been to helluva lot of Hull City games via a friend during the 90's. Back when they were *****, although I got to see Dean Windass come through. Could see he was going to go onwards and upwards.

Proper ground was Boothferry Park, naughty fans aswell.

Went to a number of Kettering Town games via same friend. They were his football mistress.

Merthyr away on a foggy Tuesday on a pissing down open terrace.

That's one thing you miss with Derby. Proper terracing.

Football mistress?.....Hull City.

As I was born in Hull, I found myself at Boothferry Park many a time in the first 13 years of my life, in the 70

My older brother and dad played cricket for a team BR North in Hull and the rest of the family would go and watch. On one occasion Roy Greenwood, ex Hull City and Derby County walked his labradore around the boundary.

I remember Roy Greenwood going for a walk around the boundary of the Baseball Ground. He used to do it every other Saturday around 3 o'clock. He didn't take his dogs with him, but he might as well have for all the use he was.

I chat most days with a Hull fan and he has great memories of watching Raich Carter play for them.

Archived