Just brought a house.

Ashz09

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storage heaters are fine if you can get your head around how they operate.

Input is how hot they get during the on period (normally at night)

The higher the input number the hotter they get, and longer the heat lasts.

Ideally, if you close the output down at night to the minimum, then in the morning open it up to maybe just under half, then at tea time open it fully. Repeat at bedtime.

You can get sensor versions, and also ones that work on full rate tariff duing the day and cheap tariff during the night.

Cost for a large heater, approx

I feel your pain mate. Up until the house I live in now(central heat) I have always lived in places where I needed electric heaters or use gas and I agree it is very high, especially if the area you live in tends to get quite cold during the winter.  With that price of gas, I would say your best bet is getting some heaters as you said, and just space them accordingly so as to get maximum heat to all the important areas.  This may sound somewhat strange but it worked for me: I used ceiling fan on low as as to get the heat circulating all through the rooms.  Also of course, it is important to really insulate and cut off any cold air that is coming into the house as well.

Good luck mate.  :D   I really do not like cold weather at all.  :mellow:

to be honest mate, I thought this was your thread!

Lol!

Thanks for the advice guys. I have solar panels which I've brought during the day when there is light can use a lot of appliances etc. I guess economy 7 works during the night for the storage heaters.

Is it best to keep the storage heaters turned on all day? When does it take up the electric I was guessing just at night (When i turn them on app. they take 7 hours to warm up). Does it stop using electric about 6am (Going on what i previously said).

I was thinking the same AR to just put 2 heaters in the house one in my bedroom and keep the doors open up stairs and one in my living room to heat downstairs. I might pay for one of those green deal guys to see where i'm losing heat etc.

I'm guessing if I do get these cheaper next gen heaters and change my tarrif and try use the solar panels it could become a benefit..!? I guess i'm learning the hard way =[ hopefully a goverment scheme will come around eventually to help out!

Your solar panels produce during the day to a maximum of about 4kW depending on how many panels you get.

A large storage heater will be 3.4kW.

Leave them switched on all the time, they are wired back to a separate fuse board that only turns on at night. (12-7 or 1-8 depending on summer or winter time)

Don't put storage heaters in bedrooms anymore, fit a timer convector heater, then Set it to come on a couple of hours pre-bedtime and pre-getting up.

A well positioned storage heater can warm a large area if you're well insulated.

Gas boilers are to be phased out apparently, they want to go all electric in the future, will they do it? I doubt it.

I have those electric heaters in the flat I'm in now that cost a fortune to run. Take 2 hours to warm up and even feel the heat, turn them off and your nipples are hard in 30 seconds.

The way I've found of getting around it is around 7pm go down the pub where it's warmer, down a few pints to the point you feel tired, stagger home and straight to bed. You don't notice how cold it is when you get in.

These electric convector heators are quite reasonable. They can usually be programmed to come on and off when you want, with an accurate thermostat regulating the max and min temperatures of your choice.

This ones a bit cheaper but with less flexible controls. If you phone the company, they're very helpful. If you get one, make sure you get the remote control kit in a package deal.

http://adax-solaire.com/presta/gb/261-olsberg-electric-panel-heaters-bathroom-splashproof-convectors

This one's dearer but a nice piece of kit. Got one in my conservatory and it seems economical

http://www.economy-radiators.com/electric-radiators/ultra-slimline?gclid=Cj0KEQjwtvihBRCd8fyrtfHRlJEBEiQAQcubtPaWuZPQGddQv9K1qlCdp0LxABAHqei5MX5e2vJvMrsaAsb98P8HAQ

They can be hung on a wall or free standing on a stand (optional extra) and they plug into a conventional ring main socket.

Funny enough I was looking at them! Look really good. Are they cheapish to run? As in about the same as central heating maybe.

What's the difference between 500w & 1000W about the same price. Does one cost twice as much to run but twice as powerful? Guess I'm asking silly questions here -.- ..

Funny enough I was looking at them! Look really good. Are they cheapish to run? As in about the same as central heating maybe.

What's the difference between 500w & 1000W about the same price. Does one cost twice as much to run but twice as powerful? Guess I'm asking silly questions here -.- ..

yes mate.

You need to think about insulation nowadays to, ways of keeping the heat in you've paid for.

Just had a smallish one put in one room of a flat in Devon. I'm off there in an hour or so. I'll be able to give a ball park figure later today. The other is in a conservatory, so no a fair comparison. I don't think it's had to kick in since April/May, so not a fair comparison.

More later, I'm a bit rushed. Overslept anorl!

haha no worries looking forward to hearing your findings :D. Bit of a treck that.. Went Newqay once that took long enough!

Based on just 16 days from 30th September, one room in an empty flat, approx 12 ft x 12 ft, one smallish double glazed window, the daytime units seem to have increased by about 2.7 units a day.

The night time units are more difficult to estimate because it's replacing a previously installed night storage heater, 1 of 2 in the flat. Also there's a fridge/freezer and a dehumidifier, both running 24/7.

I would say it uses less than the storage heater. The temperature has been maintained at a minimum of 18 deg C, with a minimum of 21 deg C when it cuts in. It currently cuts in from about 5-30 to 7-30 am (Econ 7 time), and 5

Archived