Just brought a house.

Ashz09

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on just 16 days from 30th September, one room in an empty flat, approx 12 ft x 12 ft, one smallish double glazed window, the daytime units seem to have increased by about 2.7 units a day.

The night time units are more difficult to estimate because it's replacing a previously installed night storage heater, 1 of 2 in the flat. Also there's a fridge/freezer and a dehumidifier, both running 24/7.

I would say it uses less than the storage heater. The temperature has been maintained at a minimum of 18 deg C, with a minimum of 21 deg C when it cuts in. It currently cuts in from about 5-30 to 7-30 am (Econ 7 time), and 5

Just a quick one Phoenix. If I was to buy one which would go downstairs in the main room our house is that it has stairs from the living room going upstairs if that makes sense. Which one would you recommend to basically heat most of the house? (Living room leads to kitchen and upstairs).

Sounds like open plan layout. I used to live in a similar type property.

Firstly, I'm not an expert, just giving my observations.

As heat rises,  a lot of the heat would rise to the upper floor, so you'd need something more powerful than for just the size of the room, maybe the size of two rooms. Your best bet would be to phone the company and speak to one of their guys. I've found them to be very helpful, especially the guy at Anax. Of course, you don't have to buy from him.

The ones from 'Economy Radiators' seem to be more substantialy built, and have the benefit of having all the clocks and timers built into the panel, rather than an addition box on the wall and a free standing control panel. And they're a lot more expensive too.

Having said that, the (cheaper) Olsberg seems to be doing the business in the Devon flat. The weather's been cool and damp, the room is north facing, and doesn't have the benefit of warmth from other people's adjoining properties, and the property's been unoccupied for the last fortnight.

I think it's worth reading other people's testimonials on the sites I quoted to get an insight.

As it's really you main source of heating, I'd have thought you should get something fit for purpose, rather than being under-powered. Maybe you should get a cheapo one for a smaller room to see how you get on before taking the plunge. I'd hate to think that you'd been shivering all through winter with massive electricity bills on my account! Power is expensive and likely to remain so.

The Scandinavian's love affair with log burners works on the principal that the burner's going 24/7 and you leave all your internal doors open so that the house is all at the same temperature, thus reducing draughts. That's a bit extreme if you're out all day, but the principal is that you keep the room temperature between two reasonable bands, in my case, keeping the flat aired.

Boycie thinks I'm a sad old git, but as a pensioner, you have to take a long term view of what's affordable and do some meaningful sums.

Anyway, do a lot of research and good luck with it, fella.

Archived