8 games in review

Ashz09

Morning all,

After Saturday I've been thinking a lot about where were at in this moment in time especially with a lot of fans not seeing the bigger picture.

Let's start with the games weve played so far looking at them I think all of them are going to do a decent job this season be battling it for play offs or mid table at the least. Ipswich were always going to find there feet and Cardiff was even going to come and get roll over or going to try and impress any new manager I think the latter.

Looking at the next lot of fixtures I think we'll be top 6 by christmas at the very least! These teams are going to be bottom half and battling relegation so we'll find out what we are made of. Wolves, Watford and Wigan are the only notable teams IMO which may be a problem but both are at home.

The only issue I seeing is teams defending with 10 men behind the ball at the Ipro which we can't seem to brake down (Albeit a amazing performance from Marshall Yday kept us from winning.) We really struggle against this.. I can't remember us picking to many results vs these teams. What do you expect when were touted as the best attacking squad in the championship?

Good news on this subject I have confidience in the coaching team.. Saturday was a masterclass of this. Change it around put a direct winger who's gonna run at people and put another striker on turned the game on it's head! My dad was saying Mclaren have you got a plan B earn your money! He did just that.

All in all if your feeling worried about us getting top 6 wait till after December see where they are then. I'm guessing Thorne will be back as well for the run-in which will make us even stronger!

Sorry for the long post but had to make my thoughts known after reading some right ***** on some sites >.< (Most are decent posts thoe!)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We started the season with being drastically overconfident predicting automatic. When we lose lose everyone goes back to being cynical predicting a bottom half finish. I personally think we're going to finish around 6th but to achieve that we have to be more consistent. I don't think Thorne's presence in the squad will be instantly noticeable but hopefully he'll regain the form he showed last season.

If we continue as we are now, we'll end up around 74-75 points, that is, almost certainly in the playoffs. The table evens out as the season goes on, the question is whether we'll start picking up more wins or if people expect us to get worse than we've already been.

We started the season with being drastically overconfident predicting automatic. When we lose lose everyone goes back to being cynical predicting a bottom half finish. I personally think we're going to finish around 6th but to achieve that we have to be more consistent. I don't think Thorne's presence in the squad will be instantly noticeable but hopefully he'll regain the form he showed last season.

Why is it drastically overconfident to predict automatic promotion? We've easily got a squad capable of making it and we've got great people coaching them.

We've already seen how Fulham and Cardiff have struggled to adapt, and we've already seen how much better than them we are. 

With us almost certainly going to finish above Cardiff and Fulham, if we hypothetically suggest that Norwich finish first, then another club must have improved dramatically over the summer to finish above us. Have Forest, Boro or Watford really improved that much? I don't think so.

We're going to finish on 80 points plus this season, therefore it's going to take one of the teams that finished below us last season to have one hell of a season to pip us to a top two spot this time around.

We'll be fine, we'll drop points along the way but with our style, the way we're getting back to our best and the introduction of Ibe we're going to be flying soon and it's really not unrealistic to suggest a top two spot is beyond us because it really isn't.

I'll be extremely disappointed if we only finish 6th.

i cant see us being outside the bottom 4.or maybe a injury disasters happenbut  theyve shaken off the hangover, the squad is better than last year, and the team are a little bit older and wiser. 2nd or 1st for me. i dont see a better fooballing team in the division. couple of stumbling weeks to teach them how to win ugly and we are away. consistency is the key of course  but how many other teams will have the same thing to deal with, and how many are as well equipped as us to do it. we'll not walk it, but we should well be up there  

The Championship is a marathon, not a sprint

Why is it drastically overconfident to predict automatic promotion? We've easily got a squad capable of making it and we've got great people coaching them.

We've already seen how Fulham and Cardiff have struggled to adapt, and we've already seen how much better than them we are. 

With us almost certainly going to finish above Cardiff and Fulham, if we hypothetically suggest that Norwich finish first, then another club must have improved dramatically over the summer to finish above us. Have Forest, Boro or Watford really improved that much? I don't think so.

We're going to finish on 80 points plus this season, therefore it's going to take one of the teams that finished below us last season to have one hell of a season to pip us to a top two spot this time around.

We'll be fine, we'll drop points along the way but with our style, the way we're getting back to our best and the introduction of Ibe we're going to be flying soon and it's really not unrealistic to suggest a top two spot is beyond us because it really isn't.

I agree.  The Championship is a marathon, not a sprint.  I think also that the depth we have in our squad is the best in the league, as well as the staff we have is one of the best as well.  I was somewhat leary when Mac took over, but now I am obviously very happy that he did.  He knows how to get the best out this team, and works very hard to ensure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing to have success on the pitch.

We have to focus on every match, and do not take anyone lightly if the Rams want to achieve the goals that the us the supporters, the players and coaches themselves, and the media put forth for the Rams before this season started.

It can be argued that Norwich is the best squad right now, and that is essentially true.  They have a great squad, and it will be hard to finish above them and win the league.  However, we can easily do so imo.

I for one am very confident in our team as many other supporters are, and finishing in the top two is very much realistic if the squad plays to their potential every single match and do not drop points as happened in the latter parts of last season.  It is a very long season, and it is best to just take it a match at a time, enjoy watching the Rams, and keep the faith.

As Bris said, I clearly think we are quality enough to finish in the top two, and the players themselves feel the same way.  I have confidence in everybody helping the Rams on this path to promotion.

I think we'll finish in the top two.

Like I was saying with Ambitious though, for a few games when we were saying teams are showing us respect and setting up to stop us etc, I didn't really see that.

Obviously none of them are going to completely ignore last season as a blip but I thought it was more about us than opponents. I thought we played like we were favourites. Like it was only a matter of time before we scored. I didn't see teams sitting back.

Rotherham came at us sensibly. Away from home on the opening day in a new league against play off finalist? Obviously they balanced risk with reward and a point would be a decent one. But they weren't negative. They didn't come to stop us. They played a decent game. But we were quite cocky imo. Set out really well and could have scored 2/3 in the early stages. Then we sort of dropped into like toying with them.

Sheffield Wednesday didn't show us any special treatment. They played some really good football.

In patches we showed some hunger. But also some arrogance. I very much doubt it was intentional. I don't think they went out thinking they were in easy games. I just think it may have got in their heads at just how good we can be and how teams are forced to play against us when we are in top form. When you're good at something I think everyone would expect it to come naturally and it just hasn't.

I think the Ipswich game was good for us. It was poor. Nothing but two bog standard Championship teams slogging it out. There was very little to take from that game other than the result. Then onto Forest where we knew we needed to bring that hunger. And I think it sort of carried into the Blackburn game, to Cardiff and to Reading. The hunger to want to do things quickly. To be a bit more pro active and less waiting around for our inevitable victory.

Now we've got that for the last week I think we've found some enjoyment in it. Players enjoy playing well. The subs etc are pushing pretty hard to be part of it.

So yeah, that's how I thought it looked. That we've learned very quickly that we need to get back that desire. And we've only tasted 1 defeat during that time which is good.

It was ironic really that (apart from the Charlton cup game) Cardiff were the first team to treat us like we're Barcelona. Because we began to realise we weren't going to walk it. Then they turn up with no intention to attack. I'm sure their goals were accidents.

I think now we look like we're enjoying it that we'll start getting some nice results. The odd defeat will remind us that we're not nailed on Play Off material.

Top two.

I totally agree the main qualities we have which I like is:-

The passion the lads have they all fight for one another and spur each other on.

Our analysis is next to none Mclaren likes to speak about the meetings they have about the opposition and the 1 on 1's battles our players have. Brilliant when I heard about that.

Fight back ability a few seasons ago I would laugh if some one said we'd fight back for a draw or even a win! Even if we're 1-0 down a lot of the time we come back and get a point or even 3!

The ability to change the team and change formation to what ever suits our situation and team. The amount of times our subs have changed the game is incredible I think this benefits from the knowledge of the managment team. No more swapping a striker for a defender when were losing!

At the end of the day we've lost only 1 game to a team who still hasn't been beaten (Apart from the cup) I'll be happy with top 6 but can't help but feel we have a real chance of top 2! The bookies don't get it wrong that often.

We are drawing too many at the moment.

We need to turn draws into wins.

I am hopeful that Ibe will make a difference.

We have not been as effective in the attacking midfield positions as we need to be.

There have been a few errors this season:

Playing hughesy deep or not at all

Playing Best in the wide attacking role - he has no pace, no tricks

Dropping Christie who has been our best player'

The improvements have been:

Christie

Ibe

Moving Dawks more central

Stronger squad.

We are getting better and hopefully we will soon be properly back in the saddle.

We are drawing too many at the moment.

We need to turn draws into wins.

I am hopeful that Ibe will make a difference.

We have not been as effective in the attacking midfield positions as we need to be.

There have been a few errors this season:

Playing hughesy deep or not at all

Playing Best in the wide attacking role - he has no pace, no tricks

Dropping Christie who has been our best player'

The improvements have been:

Christie

Ibe

Moving Dawks more central

Stronger squad.

We are getting better and hopefully we will soon be properly back in the saddle.

Ah, but you could argue we're turning losses into draws.

Cardiff is the best example. A couple of seasons ago we would have lost that, we wouldn't fight back from 2 down (not to mention its Cardiff).

Obviously we expect to win every game. But even the best teams loose the run of the green, and have a mad 10 minutes when they're suddenly 2 goals down. But the very best teams don't let it phase them, keep doing their thing and come back to draw or win.

You've got to accept that we'll draw a few during the season. I'd much rather our draws be draws that could easily have been losses, rather than draws that could easily have been wins.

Ah, but you could argue we're turning losses into draws.

Cardiff is the best example. A couple of seasons ago we would have lost that, we wouldn't fight back from 2 down (not to mention its Cardiff).

Obviously we expect to win every game. But even the best teams loose the run of the green, and have a mad 10 minutes when they're suddenly 2 goals down. But the very best teams don't let it phase them, keep doing their thing and come back to draw or win.

You've got to accept that we'll draw a few during the season. I'd much rather our draws be draws that could easily have been losses, rather than draws that could easily have been wins.

True.

I was thinking that we might have lost that cardiff game last season, but......

Last year we got left behind by leicester & co and the gap was too much to pull back.

The same is happening this year.

Thats why we need wins.

True.

Last year we got left behind by leicester & co and the gap was too much to pull back.

Thats why we need wins.

Yep, totally agree. Let's hope we're getting all our draws out of the way now, and we'll go on a massive winking streak. The gap is far from insurmountable, and we seem to be finding our flow a bit more now.

As you say, lessons have been learned, and learned a lot faster than they were last season. So onward and upward.

If we continue as we are now, we'll end up around 74-75 points, that is, almost certainly in the playoffs. The table evens out as the season goes on, the question is whether we'll start picking up more wins or if people expect us to get worse than we've already been.

I've done my usual pre-season predictions and expected us to get about 85 points this year.

Comparing my predictions against the start we've had, we're currently looking at achieving... 85 points.

I do believe its possible to achieve automatic promotion. The rams fans i talked to before the start of the season thought it would be a walk in the park to get automatic, thinking that we'd just carry on our win streak from the end of last season. I still think we can get promotion but i think a playoff finish is far more likely.

True.

Thats why we need wins.

Obviously we don't want anyone to pull away, and other than Norwich and just perhaps Forest I can't really see that happening at the moment for us to be overly worried. We do definitely need a few wins in the up coming ("easier on paper") games, but in January last season weren't we about level on points with both Leicester and Burnley ( give or take 3 points, or a game in hand )? We lost it in February/Mar when for some reason we lost consistency just at the time Leicester and Burnley kicked on. The secret of most successful teams in this division is to peak at the right time, so if we can keep getting draws and wins presently, hopefully the best is to come in the final 20 games of the season.

Nothing has changed my view that standard wise Championship is pretty poor and we are one of the few teams to add quality to the league, so many teams after play-off defeats struggle, so for us to be so close to the top, losing and one game with our main holding midfielders and a main central midfielder out whilst also not playing particularly well is very encouraging, don't see why we can't go on another wining run like we did last winter and be fighting for the auto places.

There is no team in this league I fear and think they are superior to us unlike Leicester last season and although Norwich have started well, I can feel confident they are beatable, Forest showed that they may be top by we can go toe to toe with them on their patch.

Hughes has really stepped up and is becoming undroppable.

Nothing has changed my view that standard wise Championship is pretty poor and we are one of the few teams to add quality to the league, so many teams after play-off defeats struggle, so for us to be so close to the top, losing and one game with our main holding midfielders and a main central midfielder out whilst also not playing particularly well is very encouraging, don't see why we can't go on another wining run like we did last winter and be fighting for the auto places.

There is no team in this league I fear and think they are superior to us unlike Leicester last season and although Norwich have started well, I can feel confident they are beatable, Forest showed that they may be top by we can go toe to toe with them on their patch.

Hughes has really stepped up and is becoming undroppable.

Agreed mate.  The Championship this year to me is certainly up for grabs, and no reason to think we cannot push for an auto.  Will it be easy? Of course not, the Championship never is.  However, when looking at the depth we have and the staff we have as well, we are in tons better shape than the majority of our competition for promotion and I feel when we are clicking on all cylinders we are no questions the top two if not the best team in the league.

Hughes just seems to be getting better and better.  His quality is just amazing to watch at times, and he just does it with so much ease and flair.  Only 19 years old and already so talented.  To say I am ecstatic he is a Ram would be a vast understatement.

I agree alpha nothing special about them. Give the ball to Antonio who passes to Britt and hope for the best. Plan B hit and hope to Britt and rely on second balls.

They've not had that tough fixtures so far see how they cope come christmas.

I agree alpha nothing special about them. Give the ball to Antonio who passes to Britt and hope for the best. Plan B hit and hope to Britt and rely on second balls.

They've not had that tough fixtures so far see how they cope come christmas.

Agreed mate.Imo they are a one-man team for the most part.Playing hoofball will eventually be their downfall and if Britt goes down they are screwed imo.

Archived