Eustace why.

Curtains

If McClaren was dissatisfied, I'm damned sure that he would have brought someone in on loan.

He hasn't, therefore he isn't.

Sorry, AR, but you're not always right about everything.

Why are you bringing Americanram into this..  Too many AR's I can see this coming down to a AR poll.  :D

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I are really talking about Carrick, Flamini & Barry in the same post as Eustace? On another forum after the QPR game at their gaff, I started a thread Barton or Eustace. The Eustace lovers were incensed that you could even think of comparing a multi million pound player with our beloved John. They seemed to ignore the fact that they were both playing in the same game in the Championship. Barton showed us that day at Loftus Road, how to play the holding role. Now you seem to be having him in the same envelope as proven Premier League players, unless I have read that wrong.

Why are we so happy with average anyway? You mention Sammon in your post but is John not exactly the equivalent? I still don't get this value for money angle as well... He's cheap so it's okay we ignore his obvious flaws? Really?

Yes Omar would be my choice now. He's been with us long enough to get a grip of English football, From what I have seen of him (again despite some flaws), he still brings more to the team. If he ain't then we should send him back and it will be interesting to see if he does go back when Thorne is fit again.

Eustace for an experienced pro is always getting caught wrong side, getting pulled out of position and making poor decisions. If that was any other player in the team they would be crucified by the fans and they are young lads who have not got Johns 'experience'.. He should be better then he is.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Mascarell should start.

When I mentioned Barry, Carrick and Flamini I was not referring to the quality of player but the role that John plays for us - he's solid, reliable, short on attacking quality but good defensively and all in all solid back-up.

What I don't understand, Angry, is why you feel the need to absolutely slate a player who is perfectly solid. We're fourth in the League and not even at our best ffs. Why not sit back and enjoy the season instead of wasting your breath on how poor you think John Eustace is?

Cant agree that Eustace makes poor decisions. His know how is one of his main assets, obviously he aint got no pace and that can lead to regular bookings if he mistimes a tackle or takes one for the team.

The lack of knowhow would be my main worry with Mascarell, yes he can pass it from deep but lacks physical prowess which is surely the main thing required of a defensive midfielder, in the Charlton cup game he got outmuscled and was then pulling players back, he'd be booked or sent off in away games doing that. Plus by the sounds of things he wasn't fantastic in the League game there after replacing Hughes.

He did look better against Reading but again that wasn't their first team and I didn't seem him winning lots of tackles, just spraying the ball about in the style of a very accomplished passer. I'm probably thinking the Championship isn't the best kind of league for him when compared with Spanish football, but he should get his chance soon hopefully in a home game where there isn't quite so much onus on grit and determination.

All I can say as I have done before is that I feel Eustace is playing as well as he did last year, and some of his passes have actually been very Thorn-esque (is that a word) in the last couple of home games.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Mascarell should start.

When I mentioned Barry, Carrick and Flamini I was not referring to the quality of player but the role that John plays for us - he's solid, reliable, short on attacking quality but good defensively and all in all solid back-up.

What I don't understand, Angry, is why you feel the need to absolutely slate a player who is perfectly solid. We're fourth in the League and not even at our best ffs. Why not sit back and enjoy the season instead of wasting your breath on how poor you think John Eustace is?

It's called a debate.. Be a pretty boring board if we all agreed.

We will never agree on Eustace..

It's called a debate.. Be a pretty boring board if we all agreed.

We will never agree on Eustace..

Of course yeah. You're welcome to state your opinion. I was just surprised by how extreme that opinion was of a guy who, at the end of the day, has been pretty solid for us imo.

Actually just seen on wiki that Mascarell started last season in Real Madrids third team before being promoted back to the second team, where he was the previous year.

He was then given a few minutes at the end of the first teams final match, but not sure he is a realistic prospect at breaking through there, surely wouldn't have gone back to the C team after being in the reserves if so?

Hopefully he can build on his last decent performance in the cup though, if he plays at Fulham at least we will see if he looks comfortable in an away game.

Eustace brings experience, a voice in a relatively quiet and inexperienced team, the discipline to stick to his position, tackling and reasonable passing ability.

Based on the above, in this team at this time, he is the best option we've got until Thorne returns from injury.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived