Tony bennett - best crooner

Dusty Springfield - best female brit

Etta james - best female soul singer

Otis redding - best male soul singer

Elvis presley - best pub singer

Eva cassidy - best female warbler

John lee hooker - best blues singer

Noddy holder - best screamer

Freddie Mercury surely the best male? I've never heard a vocal range like his. It had everything from in yer face rock to the sweetest melodies, to opera. Unique, imposing and gentle all at the same time, still sadly missed.

The ladies, now there's a tough choice, I loved Whitney Houston, she had an awesome, powerful and beautiful voice. Beyonce? Not a patch on her I'm afraid.

And then there's the pureness of Eva Cassidy, I can't listen to her songs without wanting to cry, just from the emotion her voice portrays. Somewhere Over The Rainbow and Fields of Gold are simple, just her and her guitar, but beautiful regardless.

What a shame they both died young.

Do you mean the best technical singer or the best act? Sinatra over Martin is a joke if it's the former.

Sinatra was quite simply the finest popular music singer that ever drew breath , perfect pitch and technically brilliant, and talking of drawing breath, did you know that he mastered the very difficult art of breathing mid note, Martin not in the same league IMHO

I can not pick top five there are so many on a par for me, but top 3.

1) Sinatra

2) Joe Stafford.

3)Ella .

But Barbara Streisand was close to being third, brilliant, brilliant voice.

Sinatra was quite simply the finest popular music singer that ever drew breath , perfect pitch and technically brilliant, and talking of drawing breath, did you know that he mastered the very difficult art of breathing mid note, Martin not in the same league IMHO

I can not pick top five there are so many on a par for me, but top 3.

1) Sinatra

2) Jo Stafford.

3)Ella .

But Barbara Streisand was close to being third, brilliant, brilliant voice.

Small spello rectified

Freddie Mercury

Ian Gillan

Layne Staley

Brad Delp

Myles Kennedy

Janis Joplin

Stevie Nicks

Linda Perry

Pat Benetar

Lita Ford

Hate the warbling type female singer, it's just a noise to me.Much prefer a bit of feeling and soul, and a good old scream  :D

Archived