England one dayers

Ovis aries

​Agree entirely in regards to the style and methodology. Particularly in regards to the bowling plans, they were truly awful, they just don't know how to bowl from the 30th-50th overs. The fact that Woakes is supposed to be our 'death' bowler serving up hip high full tosses is ridiculous. And don't get me started on Broad....

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​So take a month of and finish in October ?.

I do not like domestic anything being disrupted by international anything , all the international breaks for football are a joke.

Which comes first with you The Rams winning or England.

Derbyshire winning the league , and all the on days , or England winning .

I'm a home boy Derby's every time .

​You've not come up with any answers, just more criticisms. It's easy to moan, but less easy to find solutions.

We wouldn't finish in October. We'd play 12 championship games not 16.

Play all the 20 over games in a month block, partly over the school holidays to get new customers. The extra income would help Derbyshire.

Why is having a 20 over competition detrimental to Derbyshire?

Personally i prefer Test and 4 day cricket but I appreciate I'm in a minority and on the days i get down to the cricket for a 4 day game, there's barely 200 people there. On a domestic level, one day cricket has to subsidise the longer format.

​I don't have to find a solution , leave domestic cricket alone .

Remember some bloke could have been Alec Stewart saying  there are  too many first class county sides and some minnows like Derbys and Leics , should be amalgamated , fook Lords .

​ I am not sure , we could have a big clear out and start afresh like the Aussie's did , always assuming we have enough class fresh places to go that way.

Maybe its just our turn to be crap for a few years.

We have been the whipping boys before , remember the black washes , we came out of that .

Also, you could make first class games 3-day again. Players score more quickly these days and you could enforce a higher minimum number of overs. It would make more space in the season.

If you split it into 3 groups of 6, you have 10 first class games for each county; the top one of each group can play off in a round robin of 2 games each. Maximum of 12 games a season. 

You could also schedule them at standard times, say Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Every week June - August. 

Add in a 20/20 tournament of truly international quality August - September and other day/night limited over stuff throughout.

Also, you could make first class games 3-day again. Players score more quickly these days and you could enforce a higher minimum number of overs. It would make more space in the season.

If you split it into 3 groups of 6, you have 10 first class games for each county; the top one of each group can play off in a round robin of 2 games each. Maximum of 12 games a season. 

You could also schedule them at standard times, say Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Every week June - August. 

Add in a 20/20 tournament of truly international quality August - September and other day/night limited over stuff throughout.

​I think going back to 3 day cricket would be a disaster. It's no preparation for Test cricket, would lead to green top result pitches and staged declarations and would lead to a lower standard of cricket. It's not the run rate that produces the result in a 3 day game, its the rate the wickets fall.

Regionalising a block of 20 over games could possibly work, but any attempt to regionalise cricket beyond that would lead to bigger clubs with Test grounds surviving and smaller counties falling by the wayside. Derbyshire, Notts and Leicestershire would become Notts within a few years. Glamorgan would swallow Gloucestershire etc etc 

​The way it is at present, county cricket is going to die. It's already more irrelevant than it has ever been. The problem with first class cricket is that it isn't any good. We need to make it interesting enough for people to watch. If that means green top wickets, so be it. We won't need to prepare players for test cricket anyway because nobody will be playing it in 20 years' time. At least not so as anyone would notice.

Why is it that clubs like Derbyshire would disappear? If enough people cared, it wouldn't happen. But they don't. This is the reality that the ECB don't have the guts to face up to.

Archived