England one dayers

Ovis aries

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​That's ONLY in England.

Why does regionalisation mean clubs will disappear? Virtually nobody watches them as it is. How could it be worse?

I don't need to make them disappear. They are already doing it before our very eyes.

People can stop it by going to watch first class cricket. Except they won't because first class cricket is anything but.

​Regionalistion would literally make them disappear. Derbyshire made a small profit last year and have spent £700k on a ground upgrade. Hardly disappearing in their own rights.

I've watched England play Test matches in India, South Africa and Australia and the average crowd was around 25,000 for those games. 

​Is the profit before or after the test match money is divvied out? The massive subsidisation of county cricket produces what? Teams that rarely feature England test players; overseas players here one moment, gone the next (I can no longer name with any certainty any county's overseas players). A lack of identity and dynamism? Mediocrity.

How would regionalisation make Derbyshire disappear if they were grouped with Notts, Yorkshire, Lancs etc for example?

I would be interested to know what percentage of those 25,000 crowds were following England. How do attendances for India v England compare with India v New Zealand or West Indies v Sri Lanka? I'm not even sure the last two could get their best players to turn up, let alone spectators in their droves. The iconic Boxing Day test in Australia is attended by significantly higher numbers when the English are in town. Even in England, tests against the likes of Sri Lanka and even India draw pretty sparse crowds.

Do we want a sport for the 21st century or sentimental museum piece? 

​38,000 watched the test match between Sri Lanka and England at Headingley last year. In 5 days. That's enough for a sell-out on one of the days and almost on another.

As for regionalisation, this is what I wrote in the post above:

If you split it into 3 groups of 6, you have 10 first class games for each county; the top one of each group can play off in a round robin of 2 games each. Maximum of 12 games a season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived